Game-Labs Forum

Important design element missing.

First, I want to say how much I love this sim and I thank you for all your hard work and effort in developing it. Second I would like to see the transverse bulkhead added to the game. The Transverse bulkhead was the armored bulkhead at the front and back of the ships citadel that prevented a shell from going through the bow or stern and getting deep into the ship. I did an experiment Where I created a battleship with 2 quad 20 inch turrets forward. I set the belt armor to the minimum and put everything into the deck armor, turret roof and turret faces. I squared off against three battleships and went nose in and closed the distance to where I wasn't facing plunging fire and my ship was basically immune to damage. Everything was skipping off the deck. The AI battleships has 13 inch guns but 6 triple turrets for a total of 54 guns that could barely scratch my ship. For example the USS Iowa and New Jersey had 11.3-inch (287 mm) vertical Class A transverse bulkheads. The transverse bulkhead armor on Missouri and Wisconsin was increased to 14.5 inches (368 mm); this extra armor provided protection from fire directly ahead, which was considered more likely given the high speed of the Iowa's.

Thank you for your consideration

Edited by Belthorian

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2021 at 12:10 PM, Belthorian said:

First, I want to say how much I love this sim and I thank you for all your hard work and effort in developing it. Second I would like to see the transverse bulkhead added to the game. The Transverse bulkhead was the armored bulkhead at the front and back of the ships citadel that prevented a shell from going through the bow or stern and getting deep into the ship. I did an experiment Where I created a battleship with 2 quad 20 inch turrets forward. I set the belt armor to the minimum and put everything into the deck armor, turret roof and turret faces. I squared off against three battleships and went nose in and closed the distance to where I wasn't facing plunging fire and my ship was basically immune to damage. Everything was skipping off the deck. The AI battleships has 13 inch guns but 6 triple turrets for a total of 54 guns that could barely scratch my ship. For example the USS Iowa and New Jersey had 11.3-inch (287 mm) vertical Class A transverse bulkheads. The transverse bulkhead armor on Missouri and Wisconsin was increased to 14.5 inches (368 mm); this extra armor provided protection from fire directly ahead, which was considered more likely given the high speed of the Iowa's.

Thank you for your consideration

Ships ingame have 'skin' armor mechanics, and often the bow/stern of ships ingame are comically thicker than real life ships (real life about 20-30mm, ingame it bypasses 200mm often)

This means when 'bow on' enemy shells will be impacting 8 inches of armor at VERY steep angles, causing automatic bounces. No need for bulkheads when you have something like 1000-2000mm of armor effective.