Game-Labs Forum

Observations and Feedback

Dear Developers,

I have been playing UA-D for over 12 months now and I understand its all a bit work in progress still. Firstly a thanks from me as a naval history buff in that you have created a platform with the freedom to build prototype warships like a Tillman, N/G3 etc is intriguing however I have a criticism- There is no way to fight re-enactments.

• Firstly, You leave out the reality in that there is no "historic shipyard" of real ships you can dig into to test the fantasy ships against.... So you can test how would a refitted HMS Hood fare against Bismarck or USS Montana vs IJN Yamato. I think you would agree that some of the AI designs leave a lot to be desired (yes they have gotten better tx for fixing that), but I for one would like to have that option of using and fighting against factual vessels of the world.
  • Secondly, there is no option to re-enact as you only have control over a single vessel build for the fleet you build, so you can't recreate fleets with differing designs (so no fighting the battle of the River Plate from the British POV, as you cant accurately have both Leander  (Ajax and Achilles) and York (HMS Exeter).... or swap Exeter for HMS Cumberland for a what if. You can design a Panzershiffe for the Kreigsmarine, but it wont fight historic vessels (see point 1). Even having an option to have some control over the AI....forcing some design parameters on the AI would be a help here to stop some of the poor designs the AI creates. 

Are these ideas part of you games "roadmap", I would hope that a historic shipyard will be part of the final product. I can understand that it will be hard to force parameters on the AI designs, but a button which forces the AI to recreate treaty designs to meet the specifications of the (Washington or London) naval treaties would be a start.

Stephen Clarke

• Like 4

Stephen Clarke you took the words right out of my mouth!

We need historical re-enactment where we can build or have available to us historical warships that we can pit against each other.

We need naval battles depicting the actual forces opposing each other at that period of time. For example, the Battle of Tsushima between the Japanese and the Russians.

Developers, please take note. This is the sophisticated way to go. Fantasy stuff is always for the younger wargamers, in my view.

• Like 1

Believe me, you aren't the only ones asking for that. The ability to recreate historical ships (or at the very least "historical approximations") and the ability to design all the ships in a custom battle are things that MANY people on these forums have been asking for for quite a while, myself included. Right now though, the main focus of the dev team is the campaign.

As for historical sense in the campaign, I remember a post somewhere on here that said you will have the option when starting a new campaign to choose "historical" or "unhistorical" AI ship design priority, which is basically exactly as it sounds: "historical" AI will try to follow actual ship designs/doctrine and "unhistorical" will basically be like the AI we have now in custom battles...or at least that's how I interpret it.