Game-Labs Forum

Infantry retreat logic fallback mechanic?

doublebuck

I started Acting Captain battle. When I got to the beach area. I took the 3 transport ships and deployed a total of 6 infantry units, landed them near the edge of the beach where the cove is located so each unit is facing kind of forward objective to our near right and that hidden enemy cannon unit is facing our position. I moved my units forward and at some point the hidden enemy cannon unit hit one of my infantry units and he decided to retreat up forward along the whole length of that long narrow beach shore area all the way to the 2nd objective area so he is trapped and getting pounded by the hidden cannon unit and that 2nd objective coastal gun shooting him. Why couldn't he simply fallback retreat?  This is a great game so this is a tiny nit pick of a unit doing something a real life unit wouldn't do.

Look at this way, had I commanded any of my 6 infantry units to fallback from their current position they all would head back to the area behind them which is where the life boats are located, I do admit the beach area behind us is not as long as the entire length of the whole beach but still fallback retreating going forward looks bad and we end up losing a whole unit.

Considering that unit was hit from a frontal attack of either of those two cannon units it should not retreat forward. I F11 but this is minor thing and I just wanted to point it out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started getting into the game, but you are correct in that the fallback logic is at times pretty strange. I'll need a deeper dive to see what is going on here, but I think something isn't working correctly.

We'll see.

• Like 1

After fighting 2 major battles in the campaign on hard, I can say that fallback is working correctly.

The norm is that when you command your troops to fallback they will fallback directly backwards from the unit they are firing on. If you are on a flank or an angle your troops very well may fallback to a position away from your line. Also if there are intervening troops (troops between your unit and the main body of your army) they can fall back in strange directions to avoid enemy contact, just as if they are routed, and enemy troops are near, they could actually flee directly towards the enemy.

In the Ultimate General Civil War game you could also place them on run when they fallback, but I haven't tried that yet to see if it works.

7 hours ago, LAVA said:

After fighting 2 major battles in the campaign on hard, I can say that fallback is working correctly.

The norm is that when you command your troops to fallback they will fallback directly backwards from the unit they are firing on. If you are on a flank or an angle your troops very well may fallback to a position away from your line. Also if there are intervening troops (troops between your unit and the main body of your army) they can fall back in strange directions to avoid enemy contact, just as if they are routed, and enemy troops are near, they could actually flee directly towards the enemy.

In the Ultimate General Civil War game you could also place them on run when they fallback, but I haven't tried that yet to see if it works.

Well you can mostly say that but I was talking about an isolated incident which looked unreasonable I already am aware of the fallback command and it works fine as you noted. The unit involved was clearly hit from distance cannon no enemy was near him when he routed he went forward the whole way up the beach had I had control of him the fallback would work just fine. In this great game you will see at times some things that won't make sense this was just one of them. No problem, thanks for your info.

• Like 1