Game-Labs Forum

Does anyone else just want to see a 1v1 multiplayer make a ship and fight mode?

Epickairu

3 hours ago, Cpt.Hissy said:

- Turn base campaign and realtime (or tactical)  battles did happen in games before, there is no issues. Everyone just waits or even watches, if not participates. Too short attention span to wait? Wrong game.
- Design stage is indeed a problem. Makes multiplayer basically non playable without prepared designs in several games i know. Don't know better solutions than to prepare designs beforehand.. Or wait. Current designer can be done with in 5 minutes max tho.
- Stellaris.
- Find a day with more time, and have ability to save and leave mid-anything. Short attention span? Wrong game. Sorry, not every game can be for everyone and every occasion.
- Short attention span? You know the drill.

And generally, don't see such type of game as something for random "gamers" to go curse each others moms in. It appeals for certain kind of people, and those so happen to enjoy most of what you point at as problems. Won't have too big of playerbase too, but if it does what it's meant to well, it'll earn a bunch of very long lasting fans that won't need lootboxes and crap to be "held in"

Which game does turn based and real time? I'm guessing a 2 player game could do it, but again not many people are going to wait. 

You pretty much just summed up how Hearts of Iron does it, badly. It boils down to playing with committed and close friends who agree on a lot of things ahead of time. Not really suited to random people on a server.

I know you are being a bit sarcastic but think about how many people you are writing off there. That's exactly the reason MP won't be a good investment compared to say 'aircraft". 

Yep I agree, but most of the people asking for MP are not going to be that level of gamer to begin with. 

2 hours ago, Skeksis said:

Forced format could suit e.g. all nations to be represented in every region and 'every battle', so when a battle is action all players take part, weaker nations to run. If AFK or by choice, those players could be AI controlled (even set the AI to run). To make it work there'll have to be some directives/clever solutions etc.

Would happen prior to battle only mode as well.

E.g. If everyone clicks the x3 button then the game would set to x3, chat/discord to commutate such things.

Like all such games, genre specific, only for hardcore fans.

np, actual result is brainstorming, thanks is the response.   

no not problematic, just programmatic.

Yea that's really the only way to make it work. But if all combat is auto resolved, what the hell is the purpose of the shiny graphics engine? Might as well play RTW. 

Yes it would have to for custom battles, but what about campaign? How long will it take everyone to make all the changes/decisions. You could force a timer on everyone, or if you take the auto resolve approach. Why not just do it like they did decades ago?...PBEM 😄  If you don't what happens when combat is only between 2 sides and there are 8 others playing? They have to wait for them to finish their battle before the turn ends. All you do is get more and more problems with that approach. So now we really need to limit it to 2 players to actually finish a game session in one day. 

Sure, but what happens when one person still wants 1x. What happens if that person is a typical online punk who keeps hitting 1x just to troll you? Now you really need to know who you are playing with to ensure they aren't this type of person. This is what I see from the HoI community and apparently stellaris too. 

So now we have fans who are hardcore enough to want to play a campaign with all these limits, but they aren't hardcore enough to want realism? This is why I doubt there are truly many who will want this type of MP. I'm afraid most want WoWS.

Yep just trying to help. Personally I am not interested in MP of any sort. If I had a close group of like minded friends who regularly game, sure but I know I don't. Maybe I need some new friends lol. 

12 hours ago, Stormnet said:

Well... this thread just exploded...

3 weeks earlier:

Simple 1v1 make a ship and fight mode. (Likely local even)

2 replies. 

3 users on the thread.

Silence.

Now:

Full-blown campaign multiplayer mode with several players in the same war.

25 replies.

13 diferent users.

Barrage of comments.

Tsar Bomba of comments intensifies

23 minutes ago, madham82 said:

It boils down to playing with committed and close friends who agree on a lot of things ahead of time. Not really suited to random people on a server.

Pretty much sums it all. It's simply not a kind of game for global servers with random ahem.. specimens. Specifics of genre if you wish.
At the very least, i'm not interested in random sessions with random anonimouses in this genre.

Edited by Cpt.Hissy

4 minutes ago, Stormnet said:

3 weeks earlier:

Simple 1v1 make a ship and fight mode. (Likely local even)

2 replies. 

3 users on the thread.

Silence.

Now:

Full-blown campaign multiplayer mode with several players in the same war.

25 replies.

13 diferent users.

Barrage of comments.

Tsar Bomba of comments intensifies

I think it is really, 1v1 custom battles is fairly simple in concept....campaign adds a lot of complexity and discussion. 

Edited by madham82
  • Like 1

I would guess that a MP version of UA:D would end up kinda similar to the MP in BATTLETECH. A couple of friends play some MP fights at pre-arranged times, often with pre-agreed on limits on mech-designs...and that's pretty much it - random MP is as good as dead and it has been almost from the get-go because, like BATTLETECH, UA:D (or most detailed naval wargames) seem to have a rather dedicated, but small fanbase, so the chance of getting a random MP match going is darn small as well. 

The question to ask is, IMO, this: Would the rather limited use that will be made of a MP version/add-on be worth the effort, time and money, that would have to be spend on this?

In my opinion, the answer would be a resounding NO!

• Like 3

Even that way I would be happy.

We could arrange sessions and Battles in the Forum and go into Custom battles, in a "Battles" section or something. (Example: Thread: anyone wants a BB battle tonight? And people come and agree to play some battles in a custom battle.

Forum, Discord, or whatever; custom battles as a whole.

I think that would be enough to make an effective and sucessful multiplayer.

Edited by SPANISH_AVENGER

Sure it could work like that.

What are you prepared to sacrifice for such a mode - because there is no such thing as a free lunch and if money and time is spend on this, it isn't being spend on something else, so what nations, what game mechanics and what other stuff should be dropped so you can have that multiplayer mode?

And would your multiplayer mode satisfy a larger number of people than the number of people that are pi$$ed because the features _they_ wanted can't be implemented due to this?

Again, in my opinion, any form of multiplayer mode would not be worth the effort, money and sacrifices in this kind of game.

While we are still in Alpha, I would say MP is at best a future DLC at this point. After the Campaign is finished, we might have a better idea if MP can be squeezed in. I think more people would want aircraft, and the devs have already said that would after the game is released (if they decide to it). 

Edited by madham82

• 8 months later...

A 1V1 multiplayer with your designs against designs of other player would be very nice indeed.

Something like Player1 in waiting room, sets year & country, Player2 comes in & sets +/-3 years to that year & his country. If Player1 agrees he chooses how many ships & which types to include in his fleet. There would be a some certain displacement limit per each year so fleets can be balanced instead of having 10 BBs VS 10 BBs, so Player1 would have, for example, 1 BB, 2 CA, 3 CL, 2 TB, while Player2 would go with 2 BB, 0 CA, 1 CL & 4 TB. Either player can negotiate a setup incl. year (there could be a some chat window?) or disagree & leave, choosing other available players. Possibility to add other players to friends for further battles some other time. Time in the battle cannot be changed by players but adjusts automatically depending on distances.

"If you want multiplayer, then go to World of Warships or War Thunder" - nope, I purposefully avoided those games cause it's same arcade-like shooters like World of Tanks Blitz I had displeasure of playing.

Edited by Captain Meow

5 hours ago, Druzki said:

I dont think it would be a good idea, since you wouldnt be able to to change time speed, which would either make the game too slow or too fast. the beauty of this game is being able to control ships at your own pace.

Maybe you could set a "vote", like;

"Player X wants to switch speed to 3x. Accept?" And so on.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 4:46 PM, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

Maybe you could set a "vote", like;

"Player X wants to switch speed to 3x. Accept?" And so on.

yeah medieval 2 had a system like that. you could press pause or speed x2 in multiplayer and a notifier would appear on the other player's screens, and if everyone agreed they'd press the same input and voila!

• Like 1

Honestly would love multi-player mode. Half the fun is designing the best ship you can
and seeing how well it fares against the enemy.

Getting a bid tedious fighting enemy ships I can take out 3/4 - 1 odds before it starts getting
to be a challenge.

• Like 1