Game-Labs Forum

Does anyone else just want to see a 1v1 multiplayer make a ship and fight mode?

Epickairu

Idk if this is just me, or other people. But I'd love to be able to just save ship designs, invite a friend and have 1v1 battles with your designs. Legit, I'd be completely happy if nothing else happened if we could just do that lol.

What do you guys think?

• Like 2

I would love a multiplayer mode for sure. But I seriously doubt we would ever have one.

Multiplayer isnt easy to add to a game, so you usually need to lay the foundations of said game based on it. Incorporating said mode after much of the core essentials of the game are sorta of coded it becomes very hard to add said mode. It is possible, but since the foundations werent made to acomodate the mode, it often requires rewriting them and doing so while also keeping the rest of the game working takes a lot of time. Among Us devs took months to add a online multiplayer to a game that has simplistic gameplay and had shipped already with a Lan multiplayer component.

So, do I support it? Yes!!! Is it gonna happen? Pretty sure no. Not in the near future. And still unlikely in the far future.

Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 3

I would love some kind of co-op or small scale 1v1s where you can just play around and have fun.

Devs haven't ruled a co-op mode out just yet however. Only that if they do add it, it'll be after the core of the game is done and released on steam.

• 3 weeks later...

Given that this is foremost a ‘campaign game’, multi-player should be based as such, not as one off battles format but in a 'global campaign' format. Such a game could potentially have 10 players.

If Dev’s did consider multi-player then why not go the whole hog and make it a 10 max player MMO, that’ll be something distinctive! maybe even worth developing. 

PS, as turn based it would work since a turn would only execute once all players have click a  ‘ready’ button. Servers would be hosted privately. Players to have the ability to toggle AI control of their nation so the campaign could advance while AFK.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 1

YES!

All I want is a 1V1 multiplayer mode. Not massive battles or anything, just a simple 1V1 mode.

I want to see how well my creations fare against other players' creations.

1 VS 1 duels between two players and their own Battleship designs.

IMO, that's THE BEST this game can aspire to, it would be simply amazing.

Edited by SPANISH_AVENGER

13 hours ago, Skeksis said:

WOWS, War Thunder already have that gameplay, you can go there to enjoy such activity. This game is more about four star admiral engagements, it’s not exactly purposed for 1v1.

It is purposed for campaign gameplay though and that's the direction multi-player should go, if develop.  

In neither WOWS nor War Thunder you can bring your own designs into battle, and they are combat oriented, where you aim and fire the guns and that's pretty much it.

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts isn't about combat, but about crafting ships and see how they fare in battle where they aim and fire by themselves and, in any case, about fleet management and strategy when it comes to maneuvering.

A 1V1 multiplayer mode would be a mode full of competitiveness, creativeness, and endless possibilities for the community, I would rather have a dynamic 1V1 multiplayer mode over even a thousand hours campaign, because this mode would offer quite literally limitless fight with limitless creativity and competitiveness.

Be it 1V1 single ship battles or 1V1 fleet battles, my point still stands. 1V1 fleet battles would be EVEN BETTER, it would be like Battlestations: Pacific (a game which has no equal in that aspect even after 13 years IMO) on steroids.

In any case, in multiplayer, you are comparing your skills in design and strategy to those of another human being, and competing against him or her. That's the appeal of multiplayer to me; the human factor.

Saying "if you want multiplayer go to WOWS" is just as wrong as saying "if you want campaign go to Total War", IMO.

Edited by SPANISH_AVENGER
  • Thanks 1

I LOVE the idea. I support it, really.

But I do wonder what about its implementation.

Like, as you all know, 1x speed in UAD is slow-motion. 3x or 5x is the "normal" speed. But there are problems in changing game speed in a multiplayer game. If one player wants to speed the game up, and the other wants to keep it as it is, or even slow it down, who you give the controll to? Maybe have it as the fastest speed possible based on speed?

Just now, Stormnet said:

I LOVE the idea. I support it, really.

But I do wonder what about its implementation.

Like, as you all know, 1x speed in UAD is slow-motion. 3x or 5x is the "normal" speed. But there are problems in changing game speed in a multiplayer game. If one player wants to speed the game up, and the other wants to keep it as it is, or even slow it down, who you give the controll to? Maybe have it as the fastest speed possible based on speed?

I have thought about this way too much:

My idea is, it could be 1x by default, but a player can suggest through a button to change the speed, and, if the other player agrees, the change is applied.

For example:

You (Stormnet) press the 3x speed button, so I get this on my screen:

*Stormnet wishes to set the battle at 3x speed. Do you accept the request?* So if I press "yes", the battle goes at 3x until we both agree to change it back to 1x, 2x, or whateverit is agreed, by pressing the desired speed button, a window pops up in the other player's screen with the option to agree or disagree.

Don't count it as an ad, but if you really want some kind of PVP engineering macho contest, go pick a "From the depths".
You'll need to agree on the rules for your fights with your friends or whoever you end up fighting, 'cause the game by itself is kinda wild. But that thing at least will give you proper sense of what it is like to design a warship from scratch and develop a strategy to go with it... Don't see current iteration of designer in UAD as core mechanic, sadly. Also damage model is better, heh.
Though, for each their own i guess.

Edited by Cpt.Hissy

I'd really just be happy with getting what was advertised, and not see resources diverted from doing that to do other stuff. A campaign focused naval wargame and ship builder. A cammmmmpaaaaaign and not some pvp melee rumble. Besides, you think fighting fish flopping stupid clown car AI designs is frustrating, just think of what you'd fight from some cheeky tailfin who decides his goal is to troll the hell out of you in a pvp where he can build his own designs to his hearts content. You're opening pandoras box here and you're going to be horribly disappointed. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Fishyfish said:

I'd really just be happy with getting what was advertised, and not see resources diverted from doing that to do other stuff. A campaign focused naval wargame and ship builder. A cammmmmpaaaaaign and not some pvp melee rumble. Besides, you think fighting fish flopping stupid clown car AI designs is frustrating, just think of what you'd fight from some cheeky tailfin who decides his goal is to troll the hell out of you in a pvp where he can build his own designs to his hearts content. You're opening pandoras box here and you're going to be horribly disappointed. 

Not to mention the inevitable screams for 'balance' that wrecks the campaign from PvP-only players who just got kerbstomped by some min-maxing douche with a 100-torp DD.

• Like 3

Some of the ideas in this thread are pure crazy, not singling anyone out. Go look at multiplayer games in the same genre (and no WoWS, WT, Battlestations or anything else that you actually "control" a unit directly), then come back with realistic suggestions.

You will find you have several major issues:

• Campaign is turn based, but combat is real time (or possibly auto resolved). You won't get both in MP. 
  • Thinking about time spent on ship design, fleet management, and all the other aspects we will have to manage in campaign creates a very "unfriendly" MP experience. (See Hearts of Iron for the host of problems).
  • Time acceleration cannot be worked into a multiplayer game (unless someone comes up with an actual game example)
  • Look how long it takes to design a single ship, who wants to sit in a game lobby that long and wait for both sides to complete their design. (saved designs might help, but that places limits on MP)
  • Time in general. Few people play for more than 1 or 2 hours in a single gaming session. Therefore your MP needs to work in a way that someone can play more than one match in their gaming session. Otherwise it will not hold player count. 

I'm not trying to squash your dreams, but I really think the campaign would be problematic and unpopular. Custom battles is probably the better choice, but it has issues as well. 

- Turn base campaign and realtime (or tactical)  battles did happen in games before, there is no issues. Everyone just waits or even watches, if not participates. Too short attention span to wait? Wrong game.
- Design stage is indeed a problem. Makes multiplayer basically non playable without prepared designs in several games i know. Don't know better solutions than to prepare designs beforehand.. Or wait. Current designer can be done with in 5 minutes max tho.
- Stellaris.
- Find a day with more time, and have ability to save and leave mid-anything. Short attention span? Wrong game. Sorry, not every game can be for everyone and every occasion.
- Short attention span? You know the drill.

And generally, don't see such type of game as something for random "gamers" to go curse each others moms in. It appeals for certain kind of people, and those so happen to enjoy most of what you point at as problems. Won't have too big of playerbase too, but if it does what it's meant to well, it'll earn a bunch of very long lasting fans that won't need lootboxes and crap to be "held in"

Edited by Cpt.Hissy