Game-Labs Forum

>>>Alpha-11 HotFix v84 Feedback<<< (1/4/2020)

While I appreciate that you are trying to improve AI in terms of creating ships... unfortunately this developement is going nowhere.

You make one thing to improve AI and somehow it keeps finding new way to evolve backwards.

I already proposed this with few people IIRC but I'm gonna do it again.

You should basically make "Creative Mode" or "Sandbox Mode" or whatever you want to name it where players are creating and saving templates of various ships for various nations in various timelines which they can use in custom battles/campaign as well as AI, players can also choose which design AI can use for certain nations/timeline.

Since you want to release the game on steam, players could use steam workshop to download templates created by other players.

AI also should be able to modify the template in case it is not fully able to copy the template or to improve it, for example:

Template A is using Radar II but the AI has only access to Radar I, in this case AI will use Radar I and replace it as fast as possible when it will unlock access to Radar II.

or

Template B is using Mark 2 127mm secondary guns but the AI just got access to Mark 3 127mm guns, in this case the AI will modify the template and rearm the ship with Mark 3 to keep up with the advancing technology.

Adding such ability or rather option for the AI would eliminate the problem of AI making ships which are breaking laws of psychics or having unlogical designs.

I'm aware it's not a easy job to do it, but from what I saw so far it is definitely easier than making AI capable of creating ships with effective, necessary, logical and not breaking laws of psychics choices.

But whatever your decision will be, keep up the good work :)

Edited by HusariuS
  • Like 8

Apparently plenty of barbettes cannot be installed where it used to be possible making it impossible to make a Yamato for example, sometimes just moving the whole superstructure causes placement error

I am mostly facing with 'Mount 2' error in some weird places.

The positive is that I am able to balance a 4 turret design in late USN ships with superiority forward and super firing aft if I choose to do so.  In the past I couldn’t place a barbette aft of the superstructure.  That’s progress.  The ship looks more realistic than having two non-superfiring aft turrets.

It remains massively annoying that I can’t mount dual 5 inch guns on the USN cruiser superstructures for modern cruisers.   It is so frustrating I want to scream when I am designing USN cruisers.

Also for the love of everything holy fix the GD torpedo reload issue.  I am facing Japanese cruisers with 154 torpedoes on board.  If you have reloads for deck tubes you have one set of reloads.  That’s it.  They aren’t stored below and brought up.  Really it should be a part as much as anything.

• Like 3

Kind of huzzah! A new update, does it make much difference?

So, i decided to go and poke it to see. A custom battle, Russia vs Germany, 1915 tech. First impression for now is mixed.
Good things are:
Yep, seems like designer is actually less restricted, and on top of it, designer now runs so much smoother, no more terrible clunkiness and stutters.
Yep, AI seem to became smarter, i could play a battle using available fleet controls as they are meant to be used and it worked! At least it wasn't that much worse than RTW fleets.
Yep, ship generator seem to have been mostly fixed. Out of two fleets filled with every ship class except torpedo boats, the most clownish thing was funnel farms and yet again minimum bulkhead BB's (on both sides), no random weird barbettes or turret mishmash. It even gave me some really good cruisers, about the same as i would make myself (though with predefined hulls in this period there's not much variety anyway).

But there are also a lot of bad things, all about the designer experience, but on that later.
Also, this particular scenario rose some questions in regards to armor, and weights in general.

Edited by Cpt.Hissy

'Dreadnought Hull 1 17000-27000 600 crew' with 1 side turret space each side, is missing from the Custom Battle 1906-1914 database, you can only make it available by using the unlock but this hull should be the available default.    

'Dreadnought Hull 1 19000-28000 580 crew' with 2 side turret space each side is available but it's still not HMS Dreadnought actual hull, it's the next generation hull. 

This highlights a point, there are alot of hulls with the same name, even without using the unlock hulls should maybe still have there own unique name, it would help with descriptions when players are communicating such things, even just selecting. It'll be alot of work re-naming but it will probably be better in the long run. If both hulls mention was made available for locked mode then one would have to be re-named anyway.

3 hours ago, HusariuS said:

You should basically make "Creative Mode" or "Sandbox Mode" or whatever you want to name it where players are creating and saving templates of various ships for various nations in various timelines which they can use in custom battles/campaign as well as AI, players can also choose which design AI can use for certain nations/timeline.

Since you want to release the game on steam, players could use steam workshop to download templates created by other players.

Amen. This is literally all I’ve ever wanted out of this game...

Edited by lordcmdr
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Can you restart Launcher? Can you advise which were the exact circumstances in which this bug appeared?

Did someone else anticipate this bug (if it happens, it is an auto-design issue)?

Sorry I went to sleep shortly after that yesterday. I'll try to replicate this issue today after work - but it happened at least in two separate battles - new academy mission (on screenshots) and in custom battle (with german 1913 Battlecruiser)

13 hours ago, Bluishdoor76 said:

so theres a bug I've been running into, on several of the hulls, you cant place the secondary tower....osTqLeX.png

and this is happening quite a few of them, this one the Russian modern BB hull is one, theres also the same bug with the French BB hulls

it does seem to happen with specific towers tho

image.png

The tower is perfectly placed for the battleship you refer to, in all mounts. 

Can you please check it again? It is the Russian BB of the 1940s.

20 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

image.png

The tower is perfectly placed for the battleship you refer to, in all mounts. 

Can you please check it again? It is the Russian BB of the 1940s.

I also tried the top tower as well.

1614854689-screen-1920x1080-2021-03-04-1

Oh yeah those 51mm's don't have angles of firing either. Would be interesting too see who is next in line for ships after britain and im assuming germany.

1614854696-screen-1920x1080-2021-03-04-1

better image.

1614854779-screen-1920x1080-2021-03-04-1

toineh ead syndrome lol.

1614854786-screen-1920x1080-2021-03-04-1

I can see why shiki wants more modern cruisers, strange thing was that this was done at 1940 so was expecting mostly modern hulls really (The ones avaliable this was germany vs russia custom battles).

8 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Can you elaborate with an image. What is exactly is the problem?

Can't get an image right now, but it's like this: You can only place short secondary barbettes on the ship's centerline. I was hoping that you'd be able to place them off the centerline, like the superfiring 152mm twins on the midsection of the Sovetsky Soyuz-class and stern of the Nelson-class battleships, but it seems that's not possible unfortunately. The only hulls you can do this on are the French modern battleship hulls, and it's only one point on the stern and can't be placed freely.

Edited by LazerHax

8 minutes ago, LazerHax said:

Can't get an image right now, but it's like this: You can only place short secondary barbettes on the ship's centerline. I was hoping that you'd be able to place them off the centerline, like the superfiring 152mm twins on the midsection of the Sovetsky Soyuz-class and stern of the Nelson-class battleships, but it seems that's not possible unfortunately. The only hulls you can do this on are the French modern battleship hulls, and it's only one point on the stern and can't be placed freely.

Maybe try using the Ctrl button while trying to find an optimal position for your side guns? There is no new prohibition as you describe.

Just now, Nick Thomadis said:

Maybe try using the Ctrl button while trying to find an optimal position for your side guns? There is no new prohibition as you describe.

I do believe I tried that, but I might not've, will try again later today. Also, I've noticed some of the new British secondary towers have strange collision boxes, and the longer ones don't allow secondary turrets in places where they can clearly fit and have hardpoints where said turrets can, or at least should be able to, be placed, requiring them to be noticably offset. I can't get screenshots since I currently don't have access to my computer, but I'll upload some later when I'm able to.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LazerHax said:

I do believe I tried that, but I might not've, will try again later today. Also, I've noticed some of the new British secondary towers have strange collision boxes, and the longer ones don't allow secondary turrets in places where they can clearly fit and have hardpoints where said turrets can, or at least should be able to, be placed, requiring them to be noticably offset. I can't get screenshots since I currently don't have access to my computer, but I'll upload some later when I'm able to.

do you mean like this?

1614865725-2021-03-04.jpg

or this?

1614865772-screen-1920x1080-2021-03-04-1

Both different ships, but same hull.