Game-Labs Forum

>>>Alpha-11 HotFix v84 Feedback<<< (1/4/2020)

Division Icons.

See what has happen when I tried to detach ships, division group numbers are stuff up, division 4 is selected but division 3 is greyed out.

fVo1jnE.png

In-fact, ever since the icon dragging and dropping ability was introduced the whole thing has been unstable, it has never worked properly. 😞

Not consistent either. 

Other issues in the same screenshot...

2) Div 8 detach top icons shows 2 ships but large bottom icons shows 4 ships in the division.

3) Same stuff up for other displays, div 7 - 3 top & 4 bottom, div 3 - 3 top & 2 bottom and div 4 - 2 top & 3 bottom, the whole damn lot really, very confusing.

And it is consistent! Possibly screws up as soon as you mix ship classes within a div.

Edited by Skeksis

2 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

So how are things? All good?

Eh, I have no comments or criticisms in regards to the current state of the game. If I've touched it once in the past two patches I'd be surprised. Most of my free time gaming energy has been on table top wargaming and deep rock galactic. Though, rtw2 is calling me again.. you can play as china now. How about yourself?

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 1:08 PM, Fishyfish said:

Eh, I have no comments or criticisms in regards to the current state of the game. If I've touched it once in the past two patches I'd be surprised. Most of my free time gaming energy has been on table top wargaming and deep rock galactic. Though, rtw2 is calling me again.. you can play as china now. How about yourself?

Yes very well, thank you sir. Pretty much buried in work day and night. Plus two little boys with lots of energy to spare - I guess quite busy would be an appropriate term 😬

As for gaming I re-discovered DCS. A truly unpolished but amazingly detailed sim game with a great feel for flying. Man I miss flying badly.

Anyway it seems to me it must be close to “patch-o’clock” here, no? I haven’t really played much UA:D lately but I am still following the forums to see how and where things are moving 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Yes very well, thank you sir. Pretty much buried in work day and night. Plus two little boys with lots of energy to spare - I guess quite busy would be an appropriate term 😬

As for gaming I re-discovered DCS. A truly unpolished but amazingly detailed sim game with a great feel for flying. Man I miss flying badly.

Anyway it seems to me it must be close to “patch-o’clock” here, no? I haven’t really played much UA:D lately but I am still following the forums to see how and where things are moving 

I dig buried in work, I got customers coming out of the woodwork on me to the point I'm having to turn down gigs, that coupled with lodge opening back up full tilt boogie now that the lock downs are lightening and close to ending in my state, and with me being an officer in a few different lines and bodies.. my free time is rapidly dwindling. That's good to hear though, hang tough!

I'm pretty excited for the supposed Deutschland class cruiser hulls that were teased as a possibility for this upcoming patch. I can't wait to allocate about a half hour of time to play lol. 

• Like 1

Units still target after target visibility is lost.

See targeting lines, the target has disappeared, gone out off visibility but units targeting lines are still following and you can see exactly where it is…

ZQzVw1q.png

This happens when the target is lost and there are no other visible targets. What should happen is when all visibility is lost, the targeting line should be disable.

Aesthetic note: if ships lose all targets its weapons should return to there default position, amidship. It looks terrible with all guns broadside without a target and guns shouldn't look like they are still targeting something when they aren't. 

Here’s some more feedback, all QOL...

Waypoints. I find when the battle spreads out there’s a need to set waypoints, for large battles. Then we wouldn’t have to scroll across the battle field so much, waypoints would let us leave units to go on their course alittle bit longer. 

Minimal increment adjustments on hull length/sizes. Some hulls have large ranged sizes and it’s those that can be very difficult to adjust by amounts of 1-10 e.g. 'Semi-Armored Cruise II' hull setting it to 8000t. I know some work has been done on this already but to go one step further I suggest using the “shift” key to slow down increments to 1.

Adjusting hull length should effect 'surface visibility'. At the monument there’s no penalty for increasing hull size other than weight/cost, no battle penalty. Realistically (game-wise) hull size increases should effect visibility in some way. This is mostly directed at DDs and TBs for the suppose of stealth tactics and there lack of penalty for size increases.

Bulkheads adjustments. There’s no spec’s on display to show us exactly what is changing. Ok changing to “many” does something but what?

At very least what’s needed is percentage value to show us the difference between bulkhead settings, including reinforcing them. Better still, to show us the whole range of effects but I think we could live with barebones figures/percentages.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

Units still target after target visibility is lost.

See targeting lines, the target has disappeared, gone out off visibility but units targeting lines are still following and you can see exactly where it is…

This happens when the target is lost and there are no other visible targets. What should happen is when all visibility is lost is the targeting line should be disable.

They are not still firing at the target when this happens correct?

10 minutes ago, madham82 said:

They are not still firing at the target when this happens correct?

no firing, it's only giving away the location after visibility lost.

oh, that's shell you see is from an enemy stealth ship, that's another issue!

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Skeksis said:

no firing, it's only giving away the location after visibility lost.

oh, that's shell you see is from an enemy stealth ship, that's another issue!

The turrets could sort of track for a bit and then come back to non firing positions if contact hasn't been made for X number of minutes. Also you could set the ship to certain alert levels like relaxed, semi-relaxed, alert, battle-ready etc.

Which will determine how long the guns stay pointing broadside or whatever. But yeah if ships can't physically see one another then shouldn't be able to fire at one another. Unless you set it to blind fire where it will 'guess' where to aim or radar assistance where the radar can pick up the ship and allow you to fire on it, although might not always give good results etc.

See DD Velebit, I wanted it to go north and the AI wants the transports to go south, AI avoidance kicks in and the DD does a 180 and virtually heads south. These clusterf**ks nearly always happens with large fleets at the start of battle, there's not alot we can do about it. Worst when this happens in the heat of battle, very frustrating.

We can’t break the command of ships while under AI avoidance and we can’t command the transports either, both restrictions are problematic. To fix this we could do with…

Collision Avoidance AI On/Off toggle button, per division.

Transport Command. Automatically heading in the opposite direction is not always the best tactic, sometimes the opposite flank to the enemy or a vectoring retreat would have been better e.g. SE vector in this case.

NaC8PbX.png

PS, Tactic 101, put yourself between the enemy and the transports and sail broadside to the enemy bringing maximin weapons to bear. Can't do that without transport command.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 3

1) 'Front Tower 1' seems bugged.

First I assuming total visibility range is a sum of surface visibility, spotting bonus and environment, if this is wrong then ignore post and could some one then explain.  

Examples…

Bittern (1890)
British Torpedo Boat, Front Tower 1, Standard Funnel, x1 51mm Gun 1 Barrels, x1 Deck Torpedo Tubes. 
Visible Range: 2426m, Spotting Bonus: +550mm Surface Visibility: 2250m, Target Signature: 14.2.
+5% Clear Weather,
(2250+550)+5%=2940.
Spotted enemy target At 2.5km.     

2W0Aw9T.png

S-1 (1890) A replica of the enemy TB above.
German Torpedo Boat, Advance Tower 1, Standard Funnel, x1 102mm Gun 1 Barrels, x1 Deck Torpedo Tubes. 
Visible Range: 2172m, Spotting Bonus: +650m, Surface Visibility: 2250m, Target Signature: 14.2.
+5% Clear Weather,
(2250+650)+5%=3045,
Spotted enemy target At 3.0km.

zxZ1oJE.png

S-II (1890) 
German Torpedo Boat, Front Tower 1, Standard Funnel, x1 102mm Gun 1 Barrels, x1 Deck Torpedo Tubes.
Visible Range: 2161m, Spotting Bonus: +550m, Surface Visibility: 2000m, Target Signature: 14.6.
+5% Clear Weather,
(2000+550)+5%=2677.
Spotted enemy target At 2.5km.

ac1LH6k.png

All screenshots taken at the moment of spotting.

In the Bittern example, 440m, seems to be missing.

S-1 example ok (near enough)  but is this the correct one?

But with S-II example I just replaced the tower on S-1 with 'Front Tower 1' and then we have a different amount of missing spotting range, 177, i.e. Advance Tower 1 worked but Front Tower 1 didn't.

The trouble is I don't know what else is affecting the total spotting range, maybe it's not a bug, but to be honest the whole thing is alittle fuzzy/confusing. I'm not really sure how this all works.

I don’t really get these ranges since they vary so much, i.e. what is the actual total visibility range (set in concrete - so to speak), maybe some UI changes are needed to make this easier to understand.

Basically, is the spotting bonus missing from Front Tower 1 ?  

2) To find the total visible range in battle we can either approaching the enemy and do a trial & error method or do those calculations above (if that's how they are), which both are very counterproductive, so for QOL I suggest we have the 'Total Visible Range' displayed in both Designer Tool and in battle (and in battle with environment values added), maybe a drawn visible radius like weapons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bittern Schematic.

AklICQO.jpg

I) Key, u = Bittern, n = S-1.
II) When n should spot u.
III) When u should spot n.
IV) Actual in-game when u spots n.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 3

Minor mystery ‘Radiotelegraph’ range.

We know that there is a 25% increase but on what range? There's nothing in Designer Tool nor the battle instance for us to see tangible values that make a difference.

Maybe there should be in Designer Tool  and battle a range value.

jXElTuY.png

Edited by Skeksis

46 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

Minor mystery ‘Radiotelegraph’, what does it do?

My guess is that it enables ships to target beyond their visibility range e.g. if X has spotted A but A is beyond Y's visible range, radio comms enables Y to spot A. I'm also assuming both ships have to have this improvement.

But the problem is we don’t get any details, we know that there is a 25% increase but on what? There's nothing in Designer Tool nor the battle instance for us to see tangible values that make a difference.

Maybe there should be:

• In Designer Tool a range value or base values of something.
  • In Battle, in the shot info, something that says "Target Acquired by Radio Comms" or  something to that affect or at least something to say that it is doing something.
  • And something to say if your unit is out off radio comms range or whatever it is not doing - if selected.

I always imagined it to be tied to control of the ship via the flagship for each division (i.e. outside of range from the flagship = AI control). 

I think the real answer is it is not used yet. 

Edited by madham82

2 hours ago, Skeksis said:

Minor mystery ‘Radiotelegraph’, what does it do?

My guess is that it enables ships to target beyond their visibility range e.g. if X has spotted A but A is beyond Y's visible range, radio comms enables Y to spot A. I'm also assuming both ships have to have this improvement.

But the problem is we don’t get any details, we know that there is a 25% increase but on what? There's nothing in Designer Tool nor the battle instance for us to see tangible values that make a difference.

Maybe there should be:

• In Designer Tool a range value or base values of something.
  • In Battle, in the shot info, something that says "Target Acquired by Radio Comms" or  something to that effect or at least something to say that it is doing something.
  • And something to say if your unit is out off radio comms range or whatever it is not doing - if selected.

jXElTuY.png

AFAIK Radio is basically unused, save for RDF. I think it has to do with the campaign and radioing command and ships outside of your sector. Other than adding (far too much) weight it's useless. 
The one caveat mentioned earlier is RDF does give you the radar effect of pointing out enemy ships an arrow like Gen 1+2 Radar does, making it a useful, beit underpowered stopgap from the time it's invented to the late 20s, however still it only gives the effect and not so much any targeting or spotting bonus

Edited by MrStan53
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, madham82 said:

I always imagined it to be tied to control of the ship via the flagship for each division (i.e. outside of range from the flagship = AI control). 

I think the real answer is it is not used yet. 

7 hours ago, disc said:

I think it may expand the "flagship near" and "far" radii. But I have never tested this. Often not worth it, I'd agree

I've just checked the help section and yes it is for flagship communication so I've adapted the post above but I haven't deleted it cause there's no range shown, this still would be helpful to know - as useless as it may be 

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 2