Game-Labs Forum

>>>Alpha-11 HotFix v84 Feedback<<< (1/4/2020)

Devs just need to forget numbers tweaking for a while and focus on implementing the mechanics.
Build up everything the game is meant to have
Then tweak it as necessary.
Spending worktime on attempts to please ones crying about small things is counterproductive at this stage.

Yet this probably will lead to decline in interest and increased disappointment... Well, shouldn't put this tech demo to public access this early i guess.

Nothing much to say otherwise. I just hope you will eventually build this up to be something decent, not just cancel the project.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Steeltrap said:

But hey, some of us have been saying these sorts of things for a year or more. No reason to think it should make the slightest difference now, right? I guess we simply have expectations when something promises an "extremely in depth realistic combat model" (see https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069660/Ultimate_Admiral_Dreadnoughts/ ) that it ought to be easy to see just how realistic it is based on real world KNOWN data etc.

Seems perhaps those of us who think this way have expectations that are themselves "unrealistic".

Ironic, isn't it?

😁

And who is to blame for that but players who kept bragging devs to add some more fantasy superships and superguns they saw in some MMO game with the ships? And now they keep on bragging that they "feel" these superguns and superhulls are not like in their expectations. I'm pretty sure devs will burn more time and energy to please them. That being said, I also blame Nick for yielding to such demands instead on actually focusing on realism and historicall hulls, mechanics and guns. We have enough ship arcades already! I have also supported this project because of it's promised focus on (battle) realism and ship design. It is ridiculous situation when you can design 150k ton battleship bristling with imaginary guns (yes, I think of all of you that kept insisting o 20" guns) but you can not design ironclads battleships or cruisers of late XIX century.

In this rather absurd situation we are asking devs to add some historical, old hulls/ships as april fools joke. Shouldn't all those superhulls and 150k ships be aprils fools jokes instead?!

P.S. And Nick, good job reducing torpedo reloads for deck launchers. But no ship ever carried more than  1 reload per deck tube. So that is 2 torps per tube max.

Edited by Zuikaku
  • Like 4

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought is still advertised as a game of "what if". Super BB's and techs are as much needed as old pre-dreadnoughts. If they focused early on moderns, superships, 20 inches and quad guns, we can hope they will now fill the gaps in earlier dates. Especially with the first pass on the campaign "soon".

Blaming players is a scapegoat. The devs are sole responsible for their actions, their target audience and advertising. It's also their fault if we keep asking for better armor/penetration, better ship designer and all they deliver is bandaids with tweaks we should see only in a completed game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cptbarney said:

Well time to wait for core patch 1 me thinks.

I am really looking forward to that as I haven’t been playing much lately. Although I still think the game has all the potential in the world. GO DREADNOUGHT GO!!

1 hour ago, Fishyfish said:

The big bloop.

The Eel is back 🥳

• Like 4

Not gonna lie I think they've added some foolery with the AI on some missions. Despite using maximum accuracy tech, best tech guns, in their proper range bracket, etc, I get hit rates of 5% while the enemy are rocking 30% or more. Eh, still somehow do a victory by exploiting 'nose in' movements.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 9:33 PM, WiselessOwl said:

image.png.5e779db10fb9c0198cf4831c01b62015.png

Looks like there were supposed to be submarines for April 1st...or Space Battleship Yamato, lol

Hum... Rather interesting to see. If there was just a capable dataminer to investigate that specific submenu and see what other options were...

But if it is a oxygen or something for subs... Why was it left in the armaments tab?

Edited by Stormnet

13 hours ago, Stormnet said:

Hum... Rather interesting to see. If there was just a capable dataminer to investigate that specific submenu and see what other options were...

But if it is a oxygen or something for subs... Why was it left in the armaments tab?

There are no options defined for it at the moment. The full name of the slot is "Oxygen fueled torpedoes". My guess is that they may separate propulsion type from speed/range setting for torpedoes.

• Like 2

Well so far it feels like the new update is pretty nice!

But the torpedo causing my main guns to explode when they hit for a small amount of damage is still there :(  It's really annoying when your super BB is sailing around shrugging off tons of shell fire and then a single lone small torpedo bonks you and your whole ship explodes from a minor hit that should be a non issue based off of the damage numbers and such.

Also annoying is how DDs continue to be able to shrug off multiple 8 inch shell hits with 8 inch shells seeming to always over pen them still.  Highly annoying as in real life 8 inch HE shells should make fairly short work of any destroyer in very few hits

But there definitely some good progress mad!

I can no longer make quite as insane ships with stupid amounts of armor and everything 

And the ai are doing a far far better job designing their war ships!  They still tend to be a bit of a glass cannon but the amount of armor they have still ends up feeling reasonable and something I might consider doing myself.  Vs previously when I’d easily have like double the armor or more of enemy BBs now my ships only have a few more inches.  It still makes a big difference but it’s a huge step in the right direction!

and enemy ships now pretty often only carry a single set of torpedos.  Reloading torps are still far more common and affordable than they should be but still it’s good progress!

Edited by captinjoehenry

I completed all of the missions. I was impressed at certain improvements. Nice patch.

The reduction in bugs was noticeable. Loading bugs are better. The "red" placement bug has largely disappeared. The AI sometimes still has issues with bad gun arcs, but I no longer see ships with completely blocked weapons.

I am happy to see that all hulls now have covers for unused casemates. This has been a long-requested feature.

The AI is still dumb when it comes to maneuvers. Setting small ships to AI control leads to trouble. However, I think there is a definite improvement.

I like the reduction in torpedo load, but I see two issues. First, the AI is not very prudent with its shots and tends to waste a good number. Second, underwater tubes have also had their reloads reduced. I think that should be reverted to 2-4 torpedoes, as this would be A. more historic and B. not half as annoying as big deck launcher spreads. I think underwater tubes should have their own (historic) disadvantages to offset the greater number of reloads.

The partial pen / overpen changes have been pretty unremarkable. I have not noticed the changes to HE penetration much. In terms of dispersion changes, I perceive big guns are less accurate at long range.

• Like 2

underwater tubes already have most disadvantages in place. Awful launch angles, the fact it's one torp per launch.
Don't know if they're as dangerous if being hit as they were irl
They don't have launch speed limit, but that's perfectly acceptable gameplay compromise.

Further observations.  When playing with the Super BBs the AI ship design does really really well when it uses twin turrets.  The AI likes to spam turrets and when it does so with twin turrets it tends to end up doing a great job with all it's remaining displacement.  But if it goes for triples or god forbid quads it ends up being rather stuck.  It uses the same number of those larger turrets as the smaller ones but instead end up ditching most of the good stuff that makes the ships tough like armor and the rest.

• Increased Partial Penetrations/Overpens damage and tuned their mechanics in order to have a more realistic effect. HE penetration slightly reduced. As a result, small guns will become more effective, especially at close ranges and HE will be ideal for destroying a ship's superstructure and incapacitating its parts, but not as useful for sinking it.

I don't think people were complaining about overpenetration's being underpowered so much as the fact that they were occurring too often and in unrealistic circumstances; I.E. against certain light ships even when using the lightest HE shells possible. 

I'm fine with lighter ships being able to whittle down the superstructure of battleships with lighter guns if they can't overmatch the main belt or deck armor, here's to hoping it doesn't devolve into BBs being melted by pure HE dakka. Hopefully the *extent* of structural damage possible by this method is limited and the damage done is more significant in terms of making the ship less efficient in combat (slower maneuvering, loss of command bonuses, less accurate guns)

• Like 1

Really massive issue I've been having is guns not firing broadsides properly.

After testing it seems that the turrets that I place last are the ones affected.

Basically those turrets dont fire on half of the broadside shots. There seems to be a bug in how waiting for other barrels is handled.

The ship fires a broadside, reloads, and then one or two turrets (depending on number of turrets, personal experience gives 1 broken turret for 3 turret designs and 2 for 4 turret designs) dont fire on the next broadside, because the first 2 turrets do not fully wait for the last turret/s to reload. Then the turrets that didnt fire wait for the other turrets to reaload. This has a huge impact of DPM.

I already submitted a bug report for this, but I'm surprised many people here dont seem to have the same issue.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, HEEL_caT666 said:

After testing it seems that the turrets that I place last are the ones affected.

Basically those turrets dont fire on half of the broadside shots. There seems to be a bug in how waiting for other barrels is handled.

The ship fires a broadside, reloads, and then one or two turrets (depending on number of turrets, personal experience gives 1 broken turret for 3 turret designs and 2 for 4 turret designs) dont fire on the next broadside, because the first 2 turrets do not fully wait for the last turret/s to reload. Then the turrets that didnt fire wait for the other turrets to reaload. This has a huge impact of DPM.

I already submitted a bug report for this, but I'm surprised many people here dont seem to have the same issue.

Partial broadsides have been a long time issue.  Good work on figuring out a consistent pattern for it thought!

6 hours ago, HEEL_caT666 said:

Interesting. I certainly have not been experiencing this.

6 hours ago, disc said:

Interesting. I certainly have not been experiencing this.

I have, since alpha 1 really. Turrets, don't always fire a full salvo even when all turrets have excellent firing angles and are engaging the same ships for more than 5+ mins.

At somepoint we could have different firing modes as that should help us and the game lock into that mode of firing, so it should be ranging shots with the turret thats closest the enemy ship. Then whatever type of firing mode the play/AI has chosen to use, until objectives are complete, ships are dead and/or ammo has ran out.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HEEL_caT666 said:

I always experienced this issue. And I reported this many times. I don't know when will they fix this.

• Like 1