Game-Labs Forum

different salvo options

Tradly

different salvo options  

13 members have voted

1. 1. I think it would be cool if the game added different salvo options not just the full salvo we see in game do you agree

• Yes I think it would be cool
    • No it would not add enough to the game to be worth the time and resources in development

We have already a few ranging shots when firing at long range against a target, this is automatic. We also have the option to separate Secondaries and main battery target.

I'm all for more options in game, on the other hand I'm not sure it would add anything than "more microgestion". Perhaps a toggle on the campaign map that allow to "conserve ammunition" or "always full salvoes". Definitely not an option per ships in battle though.

Edited by Tousansons
  • Like 1

Yeah... I think the important thing you need to answer first is "why?"  Outside of malfunctions and other unintentional events the main reasons for not firing all available guns were targeting things that were very easy to hit (primarily things like stationary shore targets) and range estimation.  Now, we don't have land so outside of a few edge cases against disabled ships the first reason isn't that important.  The second reason makes sense in the context of a realistic gunnery model where ships may need to gradually refine their targeting solution over multiple salvos, but with the current "locked or not locked" system there's no reason not to maximize your chance to hit once your ship has done its automatic ranging shots and is locked on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tousansons said:

We have already a few ranging shots when firing at long range against a target, this is automatic. We also have the option to separate Secondaries and main battery target.

I'm all for more options in game, on the other hand I'm not sure it would add anything than "more microgestion". Perhaps a toggle on the campaign map that allow to "conserve ammunition" or "always full salvoes". Definitely not an option per ships in battle though.

They removed the ranging shot thing in the last patch I think because ppl kept on saying it was a bug when triple and quad turrets only fired two rounds. I've pretty much stopped playing so I could be wrong but I think it's full salvoes now for ranging. Do they even have a rate of fire difference between ranging fire and continuous fire? I would say "rapid fire" would be cool to see. That's where individual guns fire as soon as they're loaded regardless of whether or not the rest are loaded. Not sure if that happened a lot with turrets, sounds like something from broadside ships of the lines. But yeah.

There are a lot of ways to fire a ships guns, half salvoes, full salvoes, double salvoes, all turrets at once or one after the other. Advantages and disadvantages to all the different ways and they each had their uses. This game doesn't care about any of that as far as I can tell. No rate of fire difference between types of salvos, no change in accuracy except for ranging shots slowly increasing the accuracy over time, but without the slower RoF associated with it. And of course everyone does the same thing which isn't realistic at all. As I said above they even got rid of the triple and quad turrets firing only 2 guns initially while ranging, a nice touch that I'm sad to see gone. 

Edited by Jatzi

13 minutes ago, Jatzi said:

They removed the ranging shot thing in the last patch I think because ppl kept on saying it was a bug when triple and quad turrets only fired two rounds.

My mistake then. That show how much I play UA:D these days too I guess. This was defintely a nice touch without the need of any player input.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see a few options

Salvo: as it is now, all turrets wait until every gun is loaded

Ripple: the turret would stagger the firing of it's guns to average out the overall reload, eg. a twin would fire the #2 gun 50% into gun #1's reload, a triple 33%, quad 25%, etc.

Ranging: each turret will wait until the preceding turret's shots have landed, slowing RoF in exchange for quicker build up of hit percentage.