Game-Labs Forum

Armor, firepower and general versality balance on a Battleship

What is the best combination you have achieved so far?

At first, this was an extense post explaining a point of view I had... until I realized it to be wrong, just as the point of view I had before it xD

So, as I can't delete this, I thought I could turn it into an armor and firepower discussion post.

Edited by SPANISH_AVENGER

I tend to have a really hard time focusing on any element more than the others. I tend to up-armor a lot but not a ridiculous amount. I tend to try for between 27 and 30 knots, only faster if going for a battlecruiser or real fast platform and only going less if need be due to efficiency. I try to get four or five turrets, and I try to get either three forward or three aft. My weapon of choice, unless going for a super battleship, is the quad 15" gun (see my post on gun effectiveness for why). Basically, I try to get as many of those on a hull as I can, armor and speed are secondary but not ignored.

I absolutely will not skimp on accuracy from towers, radars, or auto reloading. I will skip turret traverse because the ships turn so slowly and fire so slowly it doesn't really seem to matter.

As far as firepower vs armor, you can look at the vertical/horizontal penetration of the guns you think you'll be facing. A battleship is supposed to be proof against it's own guns, but I haven't really pulled that off, and I'm not sure it's possible in the game. Note where the "plunging fire" range starts - where the vertical penetration exceeds the horizontal dispersion. This is handy for finding how much deck armor you need. Notice that your battle range is probably going to be between 15 and 20 KYDs at least for the opening engagement. So what is your chance of taking plunging fire vs how long you'll be at that range? Given the accuracy of shells at long range, you are probably more likely to take plunging fire from cruisers, so be sure to look at penetration from 9-12" guns too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbs1701 said:

As far as firepower vs armor, you can look at the vertical/horizontal penetration of the guns you think you'll be facing. A battleship is supposed to be proof against it's own guns, but I haven't really pulled that off, and I'm not sure it's possible in the game. Note where the "plunging fire" range starts - where the vertical penetration exceeds the horizontal dispersion. This is handy for finding how much deck armor you need. Notice that your battle range is probably going to be between 15 and 20 KYDs at least for the opening engagement. So what is your chance of taking plunging fire vs how long you'll be at that range? Given the accuracy of shells at long range, you are probably more likely to take plunging fire from cruisers, so be sure to look at penetration from 9-12" guns too!

Very nice tip, I will take that into account!

2 hours ago, dbs1701 said:

My weapon of choice, unless going for a super battleship, is the quad 15" gun (see my post on gun effectiveness for why)

I agree! I used to go for the 508s at first, then 432, then 406... until I realized, 381s are very polivalent and good overall!

Also, just read your post. Great analysis and info!

• Thanks 1