Game-Labs Forum

>>>2021 Development plans<<<

Nick Thomadis

4 hours ago, Skeksis said:

I looked into early cruisers once upon a time (was wanting too) and found there’s not that many reasonable differently shaped cruisers hulls/superstructures between 1890-1914 (even up to 1920 as you mention in another post), mostly similar as longer deck hulks, these or more variety hulls maybe difficult to procure.

I think one has to understand that cruisers were in a strange place after Dreadnaught dropped.

The armored cruiser was essentially replaced by the battle cruiser.  The light cruiser isn’t what we think of today as a other cruiser in the mold of WWII.  They were much more pure scouts or flotilla leaders often with open gun mounts.  There really wasn’t a lot being built in between anymore.

The classic WWII Heavy Cruiser and Light Cruiser are very much artifacts of the treaty system.  Absent that I am not sure the heavy cruiser ever exist.  I think maybe you see the centerline gun turret light cruisers as something to swat destroyers away.  But I don’t see any 7-9 inch gun cruisers running around.  It just doesn’t serve much purpose.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Skeksis said:

I looked into early cruisers once upon a time (was wanting too) and found there’s not that many reasonable differently shaped cruisers hulls/superstructures between 1890-1914 (even up to 1920 as you mention in another post), mostly similar as longer deck hulks, these or more variety hulls maybe difficult to procure.

Yeah, I looked into early cruisers as well, and I see what your saying. The cruisers I'm most advocating for are the ones you'd start to see in the early/mid 1930s such as the USS Atlanta, USS Cleveland, USS Brooklyn and IJN Myoko

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigjku said:

The classic WWII Heavy Cruiser and Light Cruiser are very much artifacts of the treaty system.  Absent that I am not sure the heavy cruiser ever exist.  I think maybe you see the centerline gun turret light cruisers as something to swat destroyers away.  But I don’t see any 7-9 inch gun cruisers running around.  It just doesn’t serve much purpose.

Leaving aside armored cruisers, there was definite interest in 7-9in gun cruisers before the Washington Treaty appeared.

The Hawkins class was the base-point for the restrictions eventually put in place. The idea for the Hawkins was to match any raiding German light cruisers with 175mm+ guns, and to be able to hit targets at the visual horizon -- thus the selection of 7.5in weapons. All had begun construction during WWI, and two (or three, depending) had been completed prior to the Treaty. 

The Japanese attempted to match the Hawkins and outmatch the 6in-gun Omahas with the Furutaka scout cruisers. These would have 200mm guns, and were in the design phase 1921-1922 (after years of consideration). The decision to use 200mm guns preceded the Treaty by at least several months. I think probably more, as a test gun was fired in 1921.

Finally, the US had been looking at large cruisers for long-range Pacific operations prior to the Treaty. After seeing the Hawkins, 8in guns became increasingly popular, with several design series featuring them from 1919 to 1921. John Jordan indicates that the US was the driving force behind the 8in limit in the Treaty.

Had the Treaty not been instituted, there is little doubt that the Furutakas would have still been built with 7.9in guns (that is, unless Japanese finances collapsed). It is a little speculatory to say what American plans would have been, as things were not set in stone, but I strongly suspect some sort of US 8in cruiser would appear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, disc said:

I strongly suspect some sort of US 8in cruiser would appear.

More than suspect, that's what the USN actually did.  All of the USN's Washington Treaty era cruisers were 8-in ships.  It was only after the London Treaty created a specific tonnage allowance for 6-in cruisers that the Brooklyn-class was ordered.  For the sort of long-range scout and fleet screen role that the USN and IJN envisioned for their cruisers, you naturally needed a fairly large ship that would likely end up fighting it's direct counterparts on the enemy side, so a fairly heavy armament was quite useful and the ship could fit larger guns anyway.  Now, absent any treaty restrictions at all, the core of those fleet screens would probably have been battlecruisers, but cost, and the need to keep such heavy units close enough to directly support the main fleet would likely have meant that some 8-in cruisers would still have been built.

On 1/24/2021 at 4:56 PM, 1MajorKoenig said:

There is something else though:

(...) I was wondering if we could get a separate section on the forum to post our own Scenarios? Because at the moment there isn’t a huge amount of stuff to do in the game - maybe some good scenarios created by us here could be a fun thing to do?

On 1/24/2021 at 4:56 PM, 1MajorKoenig said:

Anyone could then play these in custom battles and post their results and discuss? 

On 1/25/2021 at 10:32 AM, Airzerg said:

I really like this idea! I'm tired of coming up with battle scenarios for myself. It will be great to try other people's scripts and compare the results.

@Nick Thomadis - should we give it a try?

• Like 2

So just to confirm that I’m understanding this correctly, the Custom Battle saver would mean we no longer have to rebuild our ships again and again every time we boot up a custom battle? Cause if so... I’d be a very happy man.

And is a ship design saver for the campaign in the works as well? So we can edit/improve old designs, and perhaps carry them over to other campaigns, even if we don’t have the technology to build them yet? That might be a tall order, but at least saving designs in a campaign would be massively appreciated.

Edited by KiltedKey
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KiltedKey said:

So just to confirm that I’m understanding this correctly, the Custom Battle saver would mean we no longer have to rebuild our ships again and again every time we boot up a custom battle? Cause if so... I’d be a very happy man.

And is a ship design saver for the campaign in the works as well? So we can edit/improve old designs, and perhaps carry them over to other campaigns, even if we don’t have the technology to build them yet? That might be a tall order, but at least saving designs in a campaign would be massively appreciated.

I mean saving designs in an absolute must for the campaign. Legit it's necessary so I hope they've got it set up

20 hours ago, Jatzi said:

I mean saving designs in an absolute must for the campaign. Legit it's necessary so I hope they've got it set up

Makes sense. If it works across multiple campaigns it’d be golden but for sure having a ship design saver would be magical. I’m one of those nuts who would go to custom battles to see how many less half an inch increments of armor I need lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KiltedKey said:

Makes sense. If it works across multiple campaigns it’d be golden but for sure having a ship design saver would be magical. I’m one of those nuts who would go to custom battles to see how many less half an inch increments of armor I need lol

R.I.P devs soo many problems soo little time lol.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

R.I.P devs soo many problems soo little time lol.

To be fair - we shouldn’t lose faith. Saving a design already works in Scenarios - now they only need to find a way to organize the feature in a way it will find you the designs which match the scenario Settings in a somewhat easy to read form.

On the other hand: For the campaign I would assume we need some sort of fleet management tool in any case. Repair, refit, assign and organize ships. I don’t think though that I need a design save feature for the campaign. 
For that a tool to change some things on ships later on / refitting would be more important in my opinion 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

To be fair - we shouldn’t lose faith. Saving a design already works in Scenarios - now they only need to find a way to organize the feature in a way it will find you the designs which match the scenario Settings in a somewhat easy to read form.

On the other hand: For the campaign I would assume we need some sort of fleet management tool in any case. Repair, refit, assign and organize ships. I don’t think though that I need a design save feature for the campaign. 
For that a tool to change some things on ships later on / refitting would be more important in my opinion 

That's what I meant by it. A way to edit and refit designs

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

As we are in desperate need of new hulls and parts I would be very much in favor of that 

I would be very curious where they want to go with the designer 

let's hope for more freedom for the player. Also a database for designs would be nice, AI could use that instead of autodesign to use the ships against us kinda like in spore, it would have to have some freedom to change stuff tho as in campaign it would not always have required tech. but the general placement could still be used and a template.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed that the French design let's you put the quad 40 bofors but the US designed only have triple 3 in guns that were not really on battleships or heavy cruisers possibly twin 3 in 50s but the quad 40s were all over the battleships and the design shows where these quad 40s go but for now they're only available on the later French design

f1ee28d93f94e4850e92bbe180a2ef98.jpg

Edited by Mikey29211

47 minutes ago, Durham Dave said:

40mm Bofors is not really in the game. The secondaries go down to 2in, which is 57mm. Light and medium AA isn't actually represented.

I understand but look at the French design it looks exactly like  40-mm boofers in quad, three bbl and single. It would just make the American battleships look more authentic then the three inch.

2 hours ago, Mikey29211 said:

I understand but look at the French design it looks exactly like  40-mm boofers in quad, three bbl and single. It would just make the American battleships look more authentic then the three inch.

Take a look at the original designs for the North Carolina class for examples of US quads or even the 1.1" AA quad mount. The French did their own thing. Also the Bofors is a Swedish gun, later built by the British, then the US. So it's layout is not a factor of US design philosophy

17 hours ago, madham82 said:

Take a look at the original designs for the North Carolina class for examples of US quads or even the 1.1" AA quad mount. The French did their own thing. Also the Bofors is a Swedish gun, later built by the British, then the US. So it's layout is not a factor of US design philosophy

I totally understand I just think it'll make the US ships more authentic and looking because the model used in the game is identical to the quad 40s that's all I'm saying.

f1ee28d93f94e4850e92bbe180a2ef98.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 1:59 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello admirals,

Despite the difficulties of 2020, which have affected everyone’s life as well as the game’s development, we continued to provide several updates and significantly improved the game. We deeply hope that Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts has already become a game that you enjoy and thank you for your ongoing and precious feedback that we so much appreciate.

We want to assure you that we acknowledge all your concerns and suggestions and today we would like to inform you about what are our definite plans for the next patches that are going to be delivered within 2021.

We will continue to monitor your feedback and hotfix anything necessary that you report. The next major updates are organized as follows:

• Core patch 1 - Core of campaign including Custom Battle saves 
  • Core patch 2 - Crew and officers
  • Core patch 3 - R&D and Tech Progression 
  • Core patch 4 - New nations and map expansion

The first short campaign version of the game will be playable for two nations (British Empire, German Empire) and will expand with content in every next core patch.

Patches 1-3 will be made based on a campaign map covering the North Sea and will feature the conflict between Great Britain and Germany. New ships, new game features will be offered as the game shapes up around this first playable campaign. 

The Steam Early Access version of the game will become available upon the finalization and polish of Core Patch 3.

In Core Patch 4 and onwards we shall progressively add new playable nations and expand the map until we fully cover the campaign with everything needed.

We cannot promise a specific date of arrival for those next major updates but we confirm as above their flow of delivery within 2021. Furthermore, we confirm the allocation of another dedicated programmer who will focus solely on needed improvements for the ship design system.

Thank you all for reading. We will get back to you with specific information about the next big update of Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts!

The Game-Labs Team

Well, it is July 2021 now and we have nothing ....

Unless you plan to deliver each of the above patches every 45 days from now....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Jans said:

Well, it is July 2021 now and we have nothing ....

Unless you plan to deliver each of the above patches every 45 days from now....

You are damn right.

So sad to see that we are in July 2021 and we are still waiting for Core patch 1 - Core of campaign including Custom Battle saves. At least by now we should have the option to save ships design in custom battle since It's such a priority in a Sandbox game. 

• Like 2