Game-Labs Forum

>>>2021 Development plans<<<

Nick Thomadis

Will we see any major changes to the ship designer at all? At the moment it is very restrictive, and would like too see more placement options and maybe the ability to swap out sections of parts for other sections, like the tower being split into 3-4 parts, Tower, Rigging pole, Barbettes, other.

• Like 13

On 1/21/2021 at 1:59 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Furthermore, we confirm the allocation of another dedicated programmer who will focus solely on needed improvements for the ship design system.

I am really happy to read this - it is a very good idea to improve this very core aspect of the game in my opinion.

Can you already shed some light on what the general scope/direction here will be? Are you aiming for “just” polishing the current version of the designer and add parts or are we talking about expanding, changing  and overall improving the ship designer to become more of a flexible and powerful asset?

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Faolind said:

I don't want the designer to change, and I am happy that the roadmap has no designer changes.

No offense to you my guy but I sincerely hope they don't listen to this at all. It's bad, like really bad

• Like 10

I just joined this forum for the express pourpose of posting on this thread. I've only seen lets plays of this game, but what it shows is immense potential and the foundation of something brilliant! And when this baby is on Steam Early Acess, I'll shove my money in your hands so fast your head will spin! Untill then, there is a lot of work to be done. I hope I'll see you at that starting line.

new nations? 🤔 you stretched the roster pretty far already with austria-hungary, spain and china ensuring variety. frankly i'm not that excited seeing sweden or argentina as major naval power. in the campaign i would rather leave these minor countries in non-playable secondary roles as ship buyers or potential allies

or does it mean just including rest of the existing roster to the campaign beyond brits and germans?

Edited by puxflacet

1 hour ago, puxflacet said:

new nations? 🤔 you stretched the roster pretty far already with austria-hungary, spain and china ensuring variety. frankly i'm not that excited seeing sweden or argentina as major naval power. in the campaign i would rather leave these minor countries in non-playable secondary roles as ship buyers or potential allies

or does it mean just including rest of the existing roster to the campaign beyond brits and germans?

Could mean both, but they may add playable minor nations and/or just nations in general you could play as for memes or what if scenarios.

"Minor" but locally significant wars are also interesting way to play, as you don't necessarily need to conquer the entire world.
The tale of Huascar anyone?
Or "what if Gin palace ended up Tequilla palace?"

on that note, there's many ways to explain that delay and start of the campaign with only two nations.
Perhaps most optimistic one is they are developing actual grand strategy layer, because this is what never existed in RTW or in that early campaign you mention, and indeed would create promised "revolution in genre".
it will need certain detalization of the map and maybe some nation specific traits and such stuff, and with that - entire subsystems to handle that stuff. There's a lot to do, and all of it can be done using only two nations and a corner of map as "placeholder" content. After it is done and working, adding more seas and nations would be just adding more "content" , question of quantity and not quality.

2 hours ago, puxflacet said:

I think Nick was referring to including the other nations we have in the game already into the campaign as for a starter the campaign will only be Germany vs Britain 

1 hour ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

I think Nick was referring to including the other nations we have in the game already into the campaign as for a starter the campaign will only be Germany vs Britain 

Ye, it seems they want to test out the campaign mechanics before going mental on it. Too be fair im surprised no one picked up on this earlier, I seriously doubt Germany and Britain will be the only ones otherwise what's the point of the other nations?

Also a nice change from the typical pacific start of anime vs hotdogs lol.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2021 at 7:20 AM, Faolind said:

I don't want the designer to change, and I am happy that the roadmap has no designer changes.

I hope that this was only a joke.

Seriously, the ship designer needs most of the changes in the future. Now, it is far from good.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wowzery said:

The problem I see in comments on my videos is people want the released game, not an alpha.  Its been in alpha for a while so any excitement you generate is wasted by delays.

You have a point but the game isn’t in a state for release. It needs some more to not ruin the release. And you need to consider that most of 2020 was a complete write-off for the development. Not ideal but it happens. And the team apparently has a plan and some new people working on the two core components of the game (designer and campaign). Personally I am very optimistic once more and even sort of hyped! 

1 hour ago, Marshall99 said:

I hope that this was only a joke.

Seriously, the ship designer needs most of the changes in the future. Now, it is far from good.

I was wondering the same to be honest. Although the note they added a new programmer to improve the ship designer was the best news!

There is something else though:

I was playing a little more again lately (some academy and some custom battles) but I was wondering if we could get a separate section on the forum to post our own Scenarios? Because at the moment there isn’t a huge amount of stuff to do in the game - maybe some good scenarios created by us here could be a fun thing to do?

Anyone could then play these in custom battles and post their results and discuss? 

Would anyone be in for that? I mean, if there are some forumites interested we could ask Nick to get us a “Custom Scenario” Section? What do you guys think?

• Like 7

Just now, Wowzery said:

The problem I see in comments on my videos is people want the released game, not an alpha.  Its been in alpha for a while so any excitement you generate is wasted by delays.

Too be fair, games design is a long and tedious process, so it will take sometime before we get any resemblance of a finished game too be fair although i understand that they are anxious doe.

9 hours ago, Wowzery said:

Most games are developed hidden from public view, the ones that can afford it! and people do not see the true development time. These games are announced in an almost readied finished state, they’re marketed for alittle while then released.  

People associate that marketing timeframe with all games and think that the one’s that are developed in the public eye should release content in the same manor.

EA and alphas mistimed “excitement” and “it’s been awhile” complaints are just part and parcel of public development, not for Dev’s to ever let themselves be burden by such things.       

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Вы правы, но игра еще не готова к выпуску. Нужно еще немного, чтобы не испортить релиз. И нужно учитывать, что большая часть 2020 года была списанием на разработку. Не идеально, но бывает. И у команды, очевидно, есть план и несколько новых людей, работающих над двумя основными компонентами игры (дизайнер и кампания). Лично я снова очень оптимистичен и даже немного раздута! 

Мне было интересно, если честно. Хотя заметка о добавлении нового программиста для улучшения конструктора кораблей была лучшей новостью!

Но есть кое-что еще:

В последнее время я немного больше играл (немного в академии и несколько пользовательских сражений), но мне было интересно, можем ли мы создать отдельный раздел на форуме для публикации наших собственных сценариев? Потому что на данный момент в игре не так много вещей, которыми нужно заниматься - может быть, несколько хороших сценариев, созданных нами здесь, могут быть забавным занятием?

Кто-нибудь может затем сыграть в них в пользовательских боях, опубликовать их результаты и обсудить? 

Кто-нибудь был бы готов к этому? Я имею в виду, что если есть заинтересованные участники форума, мы могли бы попросить Ника предоставить нам раздел «Пользовательский сценарий»? Что, вы парни, думаете?

I really like this idea! I'm tired of coming up with battle scenarios for myself. It will be great to try other people's scripts and compare the results.

I'm just curious as to when more cruiser components (guns, hulls, superstructures, etc) will be added. And if so...how much more variety will we have when making cruisers and what ship classes will they be representative of?

Also glad to hear that the Campaign will be the main focus for the majority of 2021. I also like the idea of the campaign starting off with Britain and Germany, since most games concerning naval battles/naval warfare starts off with the Pacific War in WWII. *Looks squarely at Battlestations: Pacific and Battlestations: Midway*

5 hours ago, HistoricalAccuracyMan said:

how much more variety will we have when making cruisers

I looked into early cruisers once upon a time (was wanting too) and found there’s not that many reasonable differently shaped cruisers hulls/superstructures between 1890-1914 (even up to 1920 as you mention in another post), mostly similar as longer deck hulks, these or more variety hulls maybe difficult to procure.

Edited by Skeksis

50 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

I look into early cruisers once upon a time and found there’s not that many reasonable differently shaped cruisers hulls/superstructures between 1890-1914 (even up 1920 as you mention in another post), mostly similar as longer deck hulks, these or more variety hulls maybe difficult to procure.

we can dip into, blueprints, prototypes and design proposals if needed, unless we get some fine mod support of course.

• Like 4