Game-Labs Forum

Armor weight - is it too light?

jokash

6 hours ago, The_Real_Hawkeye said:

As far as I understand it, AoN armor came into being after it was realized that

a) Armoring the ship vs. the larger and improved guns that navies were starting to field was impossible with the current armor-schemes

b) The few inches of armor on the weaker armored parts of the ships couldn't even keep out medium caliber shells anymore and only served to make large caliber AP shells explode.

So the decision was made to do away with armor over non-essential parts of the ships, letting AP rounds simply pass through without exploding while concentrating the armor over the vitals and by concentrating the armor on a smaller part of the ship, getting armor thickness up to something that actually could keep large-caliber shells out.

All of this makes it reasonable that a 15" armor belt with an AoN armor scheme should mass significantly less than the same belt-thickness with, say, a turtelback armor-scheme.

AoN had bigger citadel because it was supposed to have enough bouyancy to keep the ship afloat on its own, aside from that it protected more of the important systems of the ship aside from machinery spaces and magazines that would otherwise be outside of the citadel space. Overall it was still lighter than distributed armor scheme and provided betetr protection to important systems of the ship. 

Turtleback means deck has slopes it's not oposite AoN as AoN can have deck slopes. What AoN is oposite to is distributed armor scheme.

Edited by Microscop
  • Like 1

Concerning the late battleships,it seems that ratios are more real there.Cruisers are off in all eras i think,and dreadnoughts also i think can handle way too much armor.(didnt comprare with rl design yet).But i have present 2 cruisers from 1930s that are waaaaay to armored compared to rl.Rember these were washington era cruisers with light armor values and still they broke 10k tons.While ingame i get 535 mm on ATAGO 

2 hours ago, jokash said:

Concerning the late battleships,it seems that ratios are more real there.Cruisers are off in all eras i think,and dreadnoughts also i think can handle way too much armor.(didnt comprare with rl design yet).But i have present 2 cruisers from 1930s that are waaaaay to armored compared to rl.Rember these were washington era cruisers with light armor values and still they broke 10k tons.While ingame i get 535 mm on ATAGO 

Talking about armor the game is also missing stuff like ammo boxes which were common on treaty cruisers

• Like 1