Game-Labs Forum

Is Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts worth it?

Lodkins.

11 hours ago, Major General Dodge said:

Wanting to get UA:D

Curious of, is it worth to get UA:D?

looks quite interesting

been watching videos on it

Well,  on these forums you will kind of get an yes answer to your question regardless - since we all are here because we are very much interested in this game and want to see it succeed.

But honestly, it depends on what kind of games you like and what kind of games you will be interested in when it finally comes out. I mean if you have watched Stealth17 or History Guy Gaming youtube videos (there are several, just these are the ones I check now and then because their voices are not overly irritating), there is very little of gameplay you have not seen. It is an alpha version after all.

Right now, there is only a random battle generator where you can set up your own and opponents side and rather longer list of "tutorial" scenarios(beside first ones, they are really just scenarios which don't learn you much). You cant save your design and you cannot save inside a mission (aka if you are a familiy man which dont always have time to complete a mission in one go, this game is definitely not for you as it stands right now). That's about it.

You can get several hours of good gameplay here but it is more of a promise of what will come which keeps me engaged.

Edited by Dirlinger
  • Like 4

@Dirlinger very well said.

@Major General Dodge As for me personally, there are many reasons why I like Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts...the biggest two being near limitless possibilities as far as ship design goes and the promise of a campaign mode. I myself love whenever a game has a campaign mode (or multiple campaigns) that I can play through. And when it comes to ship design possibilities, there is something for just about everyone. Do you want to recreate a ship that existed irl? You can do that (for most ships). Do you want to be like HistoryGuyGaming and build a super battleship that has nothing but hundreds of smaller 2 or 3 inch guns? You can do that too.

If you go looking at what most of us on here are complaining about/wanting to see in game, it will mostly be additional superstructure and hull options so even more ship designs can be available.

Overall, it's a great game at the moment, despite the limited modes available. If you really are interested in the campaign or the full game...I'd say wait until it eventually gets released because you can always take some time before the campaign to play the tutorial missions and get familiar with the game mechanics. Or, if you really want to go ahead and play it, I don't think you would be too disappointed (I obviously don't know what type of games you like, so I'm just assuming) as the custom battles can be quite fun, and some of the tutorial (or "academy") missions can give you quite a challenge.

For a life long Navy man....yes it was worth the purchase. My only complaint so far is that as you reduce the graphics down to fast, you lose seeing torpedo wakes in the water but love the challenge. And yes, I'm willing to be patient because the game is still growing.

Right now, no it isn't.

The AI is absolutely terrible at designing ships.

And the preview video that I saw is nothing like the ship designer in the game. In my opinion this is a borderline bait and switch. If the release version of the game doesn't have something approaching that designer, I'll be a very unhappy camper.

Edited by brucesim2003
  • Like 1

It will be some time before i can recommend the game too be honest. I like the effort the devs have put in, but still a very long road to go and quite awhile from being polished and recommended.

But hopefully they will reach that goal regardless.

I've recommended it to one friend of mine on the understanding that it's most decidedly a WIP (he was a game dev, so knows the score.)

Whether I recommend it in beta and beyond to the many other friends I know from naval history and wargaming circles depends on three things:

1. Remaining 'gamey' elements (cloaking smoke, torpedo spam and other such fixes to the meta rather than the underlying issues) are reformed.
  2. The designer improves to the point where you don't feel held back by arbitrary restrictions.
  3. Modding is officially supported or at least easy to accomplish, acknowledging you can't include enough content for everyone in the base game.

Accomplish those three things and they won't need a marketing budget.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Currently the game has too much RNG built in with it, targeting and armor penetration, it's a lazy way of working about all the complex calculation but for an simulation game it's utterly frustrating! I've seen radar acquired turrets making shots that are absolutely retarded.