Game-Labs Forum

AI ship design check

Tankaxe

I'm calling for all player in regards to AI ship design. More specifically the 1908-1920s era. This isn't really a clown car thread but an analysis on what the AI over or underinvested in their ships. for an example in my 1912 custom battle the AI battleship design had a 28 knot top speed. Not a battlecruiser, battleship (though BCs tend to run around with 6" max armor even when IRL GB and GR emphasized more armor).

The worst part is it cant even reach that speed. It hasn't invested in the funnel efficiency so it would be impossible to reach these speeds. With a 9" armored belt and a respectable armament of 10 13" guns it proved no match to my 12 13" gunned and 13.5" belt battleship with the standard speed of 21kts of the era.

Anyone else have any of these experiences? post below.

Out of top of my head, the most obvious trend that AI has is the randomness itself, in any years.
What i mean is, things like tiny guns on huge barbettes, mains superfiring over secondaries, a farm of all the different funnels, etc. Generally choice and arrangement of parts that does not make any sense from logical point of view, and seem to be chosen for the sole reason of "it exists".
It became better with updates, for (also obvious) reason of implementing an ever increasing library of reality based preset layouts, and i think relatively fresh addition of ability to place many identical guns in evenly spaced rows. But AI didn't get any smarter, it now just mixes fragments of reality based layouts with fragments of utter randomness within one design.