Game-Labs Forum

Alpha 11 - Speculation Thread

1MajorKoenig

18 hours ago, Cpt.Hissy said:

why overcomplicate non existent problem?

there's no issues with gamespeed. There is an issue where default sea state looks like friggin hurricane and our boats are fighting in conditions where half of them should just sink. That is what i mean.

Then you should have not used the word "bobbing" to describe "friggin hurricane" conditions for the battle instance.

As for ships bobbing like ducks at faster game speed, to what I through you were referring to (incorrectly), my suggestion still stands as visual bobbing suppressor and it is not complicating visual bobbing effects in the context of that said. 

Edited by Skeksis

@Skeksis There might be a multi level misunderstanding then... Because i do not observe the thing you are referring to.
Ships motion is not dependent on gamespeed for me. Actually, it's not dependent on sea state either it seems. Instead, it is made of several pre-recorded rocking animation loops in different directions mixed together.
Quite straightforward way to do it actually, used in all games until something introduced real-time water, waves and floatation simulation, and in nearly all games with distant camera perspective (like strategies) afterwards and till today.
I might still be wrong, but looks like that.

So what i ask about is to tone down these animations to something less stormy, and tone down the magnitude of noises used in creating waves.

Edited by Cpt.Hissy

6 hours ago, Cpt.Hissy said:

So what i ask about is to tone down these animations to something less stormy, and tone down the magnitude of noises used in creating waves.

While the ship movements in see may be quite pronounced I admit I prefer this to the “ships on rails” or “Tonks on water” we see in other games. Some movement in the waves makes the scenery much more lively in my opinion 

I'd like to see a slight fix for the AI controlling ships.  Lately when I put my ships on AI they turn away and head as far away as possible.  Many times this means your out of visual range to engage.  I can't trust AI to lead my ships anymore as all they do is head away from the enemy.

10 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

While the ship movements in see may be quite pronounced I admit I prefer this to the “ships on rails” or “Tonks on water” we see in other games. Some movement in the waves makes the scenery much more lively in my opinion 

Tie it to the sea state. That shouldn't be that hard. You create the calm animations and the not so calm animations and then do a simple if statement. If the weather is calm use this animation, if else use this animation. Probably more complicated than that I'm very new to coding and I hate it but yeah. 

Yeah the most I do with the AI controlling my ships is to set up different formations as screens or scouts for a main battle line and then forget about them until I need them

Edited by Jatzi

19 hours ago, Cpt.Hissy said:

Actually, it's not dependent on sea state either it seems. Instead, it is made of several pre-recorded rocking animation loops in different directions mixed together.

I don’t think so, I think the model motions is pivoted from a centre point and the model angles are calc based on weather level, wave point (calc from the wave time increment), object direction, turning speed and sinking state.   

If so then that means it could be flatten out based on the game speed (and maybe enable/disable based on zoom distance) to give alittle aesthetically pleasing view at faster gaming speeds.

Edited by Skeksis