Game-Labs Forum

>>>Alpha-10 Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

A few more bits of feedback:

Damage to ship needs to have impact on fire rate and accuracy. When there is a large fire near a turret those things got hot and unworkable. 

The damage from smaller shells to the deck structure of the ships needs to be upped; I was fighting a BC with 3, 4x4 9inch CA, each firing 3 times a minute; they would have shredded the superstructure. 

How often irl did destroyers or cl make suicide torp runs? Not that often, I imagine, yet it happens frequently. 

On 2/11/2021 at 6:38 PM, akd said:

Because the game starts in 1890, so you clearly need to add some qualifiers to the claim that most shots should hit at less than 8km regardless of target / own motion.  Look at some of the hit rates achieved in gunnery practice (not battle) against stationary targets in the years before WWI.

Exactly... accuracy even at 'short' ranges was appalling in the 1890s, awful in the 1900s, and bad in the 1910s. 

On 2/13/2021 at 4:21 AM, SonicB said:

I've thought for years that the first thing to do when you start designing a new game is go on Nexusmods, search your closest competitor, find out the most popular QoL mods and implement them. Guess that would apply to forums too.

Pretty much everything that has been commented on in this forum for the last 2 years is in that game, along with what has already been mention above is some little things like one load of torpedo on destroyers, logistics/cargo/supplies and a high degree of authenticity (historical content).

Has UAD missed the the boat! What UAD has got going for itself is a different time period and designer tool, which is a pretty big asset, is it enough. Don't know but IMO to completely outmatch or outclass WotS, UAD world map is got be of the highest quality, its AI challenging too i.e. not pasted enemy quantities, including hard/easy modes and UAD should be moddable (it's a reasonable part of the market these days and will hurt if not).

One thing is for sure, this genre has alot of interest, going by steam frantic forum and charts, so that has to be good for everybody. 

PS, I forget to add some more of UAD assets that WotS doesn't have, R&D, crews & assuming captains, multiple playable nations and pollical/diplomatic/rebellion/alliance role playing. 

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Time to predict when alpha 11 will arrive lads, as we have stabbed and shot alpha 10 to death now.

Achshuly jingles i reckon it will be in the next 3 weeks. -wo

I'm not gonna make any predictions because I'm gonna lose the rest of my mind wondering when Alpha 11 is gonna drop. So I'll stay in my little dungeon wondering how to take over Australia. But hopefully your prediction is right.

• Like 3

Buwh.. what? Where? Oh right. 

I don't know when alpha 11 will be here. My crystal ball is in the repair shop, my swami turban is at the dry cleaners, and I'm playing 52 pick up with my tarot cards. Alas there goes all my inside information. Someone give me a good shake if alpha 11 drops, I am interested in taking a peek at it. Unfortunately until then I've fallen back down into HoI4 and I can't get up. Oh no!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, wh—what!?

giphy.gif

By Jove! Can it be!? Is this truly it? 
Have I finally succumbed to the same idiosyncratic perception of reality that I've cautioned against for so long?

Something must've snapped! For I question my sanity.(again)

======

Please note:
The following may should be considered as gibberish or blathering, hence the value of your time spent reading is not guaranteed. If you choose to continue, then do so with the expectation that it will not be particularly worthwhile.
Please also keep in mind that these are purely my own opinions and thoughts(or ramblings, if you will).

======

On 2/8/2021 at 11:10 AM, Right said:

"... so stop compare and try to help how to make this one better as itself."

By comparing a different but similar games/products to one and another; you'll find various strengths and weaknesses which in turn may reveal certain aspects in need of improvement if said aspect is found to be relevant to your own goal/"vision"/end-product at hand.
UA:D has features that War on the Sea doesn't(and vice versa). But does this prohibit and invalidate any and all comparisons made between the two games? 
For example:
A comparison between the characteristics of the dual purpose 5"/38 in WotS with some 5" gun in UA:D may at first seem rather "far fetched" seeing as the latter game doesn't feature aircraft, yet doing so might still serve a purpose ᕕ(  )ᕗ. Provided, of course—that you focus on the former's effectiveness vs surface targets.

I mean, just how do you improve something by solely comparing it to itself without any external frame of reference? Wouldn't doing so only lead you spiraling down some path of insanity?

Reveal hidden contents

"Oh hey, I treat water as lava and have always done so. Before however, i handled the physics of lava quite differently. Now, it has the same physical properties as the coffee i use to bathe in. Because historically speaking, this is actually how lava actually worked back then. A widely known fact construed by none other than my own mind, ergo my the whole world.
So compared to my previous iteration of lava, I'm confident to say that this is a huge improvement in gameplay overall!

I would also like to point out: 
Turrets popping off with the same frequency and destructive force equal to that of a bag of popcorn kernels in a microwave is NOT silly!"

"It reminds me of when people compared the mass effect andromeda, with 200 ppl for develope and 2 years to the witcher 3, with 250-1500 ppl and 3.5 years..."

What? But how?!

As far as i know, Killerfish Games is an indie game developer that is basically this 1 dude and his wife?
Even if you include the outside/external developer(Monkeystack) that worked on the project; the number of employees is still similar to that of Game-Labs'.

Rule The Waves has undeniably had a lot more time in the oven, yes. But how big is the team behind that game I wonder? 1, maybe 2 developers? (If anyone knows, feel free to correct me)
What about Victory at Sea? A 4-man team.(iirc)
Should you feel that UA:D is more akin to Kerbal Space Program; then it's worth remembering that KSP also employed a very small team.(kudos to the modders out there!)

I honestly cannot think of a single, major "Triple-A" game studio that has recently released, or is currently developing a Naval RTS game.

So, I struggle to see how this is even remotely reminiscent of that "ME: Andromeda vs The Witcher 3"-case. 
Oh, I don't know anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if I've just been grossly misinterpreting/misjudging things.

"But for a game I think the gameplay is solid and the type of game is way better then all those other comperisons people do with other games, they realy got nothing in common but that they they both rts battle games set to a close time in human history but that is it,"

appGaeD.gif

Oh yeah, sure. They are completely and utterly different games/genres and therefore, without a doubt totally incomparable to UA:Dreadnoughts.
How preposterous of me to imply that one might learn a thing or two by looking at how those other games handle stuff like UX/UI elements, physics, animations, damage and armor modelling, logistics, economy, etc.
There's absolutely nothing to be gained by doing so... Zero, zilch, zip, nada, nyet.

Monologue: (read: ravings)
"What do you mean 'they're all games where you control a number of surface vessels travelling in formation(debatable) on a large body of water that use high caliber, long-range ballistics(supposedly) to neutralize and sink your opponent. Viewed from a top-down / bird's-eye perspective' ?

Acktually Mindstrip,
I will have you know—that UA:Dreadnoughts is a Space-based, 2D FPS Platformer, Roguelike, Action-Adventure, Real Time Strategy Puzzle-MMORPG. 
Where on the desert Tomb-World of Arrakis, the Sith-Lord High Admiral Dumbledore of House Baratheon, has struck an insidious deal with the urRu Tech-Priests of Dune to construct a massive number of Ironclad Dreadnoughts in order to finally quench the lingering fires of rebellion.
You play as Lord-Commander Frodo Potter(alongside his trusty Flag Officer, Seymour) aboard the Kamchatka, who has been tasked to defend the last bastion of his fellow Necrontyr against this monolithic threat and by any means necessary prevent the single remaining Dark C'tan Crystal shard from ever falling into enemy hands!
All set in the expansive universe of J.R.R Tolkien's Narnia. "

"Much wow!" - gamespy

"Best 'Lovecraftian' visual novel since Doom II (1994)." - David Lynch

"My life's work; forfeit!" - Sir Isaac Newton

"Tea, Earl Grey, Hot." - Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, USS Enterprise

"Too much water." - 9/10 IGN

Yes, i'm being hyperbolic, but. (moar like "hyper-golic"  amirite guys??) get it? as in toxic?... guys?... anyone? ...hello?  :(
I'm sorry. Usually I'm able to ignore(albeit with effort) the, at times, rather incessant, apologetic and irrational defensiveness that used to plague this place. Yet this had me absolutely flabbergasted, so much so, that I sincerely hope this is all just a HUGE misunderstanding on my part!

P.S. Fortunately, I've refrained from posting many times in the past.
Unfortunately however, this time it just plopped off my chest.
Again, I apologize the harsh and snarky tone. I kinda just tried(but ultimately failed) to understand the reasoning behind this.

Now, I await inevitable retribution by the Gods of Anxiety; for I am at their mercy...

• Like 4

Honestly I didn't saw any toxic by your side and I like the way you decided to describe your inner feelings/thoughts but you did missed something: comparing stuff can be easly done with anything to anything, for example I can compare my liking of cocacola to my liking of redbull, you can say that they both on a level should be compared and are close in somewhatway to each other but the truth is that I shouldn't compare these two because they are just two different products. So yes, again, you can compare UA:D to any other game of your liking but since you seem to miss the whole picture that have thousands of other variables that isn't a good way to improve the final outcome. Can't you look at a picture and say "I like a,b,c but that x,y,z should be diffrent in my taste" without comparing it to another picture? The reason I think comparing is wrong is just like being in a relasionship- If you would compare you will always try to get what you want but would never get what you need. That was the reason I asked ppl to stop and compare, to games and to realife, I think that when you start to draw from blank and not from a scatch you have a better chance to get a more beutiful painting. You may correct me if you like but as you mentioned it is an opinion, you are welcome to adopt it or dissmiss it, we have our free will after all.

p.s. take it easy, we both have the same will to see this game getting better, the ways we walk are different but with the same goal we are not at war.

Edited by Right

26 minutes ago, Right said:

Can't you look at a picture and say "I like a,b,c but that x,y,z should be diffrent in my taste" without comparing it to another picture?"

We're straying into philosophy here, to be precise epistemology, but the short answer is no. To make value judgements you need context, even if there were no other naval games and this was the first you'd simply be comparing to real life.  afaik no major religion claiming to objective truth has ruled either way regarding the placement of secondary turrets.

Edited by 7thGalaxy

9 minutes ago, 7thGalaxy said:

We're straying into philosophy here, to be precise epistemology, but the short answer is no. To make value judgements you need context, even if there were no other naval games and this was the first you'd simply be comparing to real life.  afaik no major religion claiming to objective truth has ruled either way regarding the placement of secondary turrets.

Everything had a first and somehow someone knew how to and did it, and if we werw keeping on just going the rout someone else laid before us we would have not been able to lay down these words in this conversation. In your brain there are thusands if not millions of years of iformation that can lead you to decide what is good and what is not. We are coded and in that code there is potential to perfection that you discard if you decide to go after something else that might have flaws you aren't aware of. I didn't said at any point don't use what you know to give a feedback, I noted that it should be done from a more "clean" point of view. That instead of saying "my ex had bigger" you would say "you can have bigger" and that would result in a better outcome.