Game-Labs Forum

Why do all ships in a line target only one enemy ship?

ArcticTemper

Ships in opposing battle lines had specific procedures for maximising the effectiveness of their fire, the basic one being; target your opposite number. This was because if an enemy ship was not being fired at, it could return far more effective fire. Essentially; suppression. When captains made mistakes in real battles, and targeted the wrong enemy, it greatly effected the results of the following trade of fire.

Why is this not represented in the game? I can't tell individual ships in my divisions to target individual enemy ships, and the AI defaults to focus all its fire on the lead enemy ship... it's really frustrating and I think it's a vitally important update to the game that needs to be implemented ASAP. Don't you agree?

• Like 1

You can set different targets to individual ships, and even separately for mains, secondaries and torpedoes. It's just UI a bit clunky. Next time look in bottom right corner and notice a list of hotkeys when you mouse over an enemy, that's it ^^
Other thing is, it seems to actually be most effective in this game to target one at a time, as this has no real drawbacks and helps actually hitting it with those noodle guns, especially if it's fast. That is concern..

Edited by Cpt.Hissy
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, ArcticTemper said:

This was because if an enemy ship was not being fired at, it could return far more effective fire. Essentially; suppression.

Sorry for my poor english , is not my native language, but for me the real reason was because splashes on the water. If all ships are targeting the same target would be a nightmare to know what caliber and from what ship is coming making a nightmare to find the correct range.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, o Barão said:

Sorry for my poor english , is not my native language, but for me the real reason was because splashes on the water. If all ships are targeting the same target would be a nightmare to know what caliber and from what ship is coming making a nightmare to find the correct range.

Funny thing, despite gameyness and all the shooter heresy, War Thunder shows this particular aspect pretty well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 6:01 PM, o Barão said:

If all ships are targeting the same target would be a nightmare to know what caliber and from what ship is coming making a nightmare to find the correct range.

And that's why I hope we'll be blessed with shell dyes someday.

ybkzs50pvdu11.jpg.cf4488c0b72ff60d2ba7dc

Edited by IronKaputt
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Bluishdoor76 said:

yeah for as much heat the War Thunder lasers get, they are based in reality and actually help figuring out what shell is being fired. Could be better but it does the job well enough in War Thunder so I personally dont see much of an issue with it.

lasers?

• Like 1

Arcade markers probably.
I only play in markerless arcade that they call "realistic", there you really want to punch those who shoots at your target.
Much easier if your splashes somehow differ from others.
They could add painted shells i guess, but for sure those will be "only $9.99 a shot", russian greed knows no limits.

On 12/30/2020 at 5:40 AM, Cptbarney said:

lasers?

the tracers in War Thunder sort of look like lasers lol

pvi29nydkqa21.png

always been sort of a meme in the War Thunder community, specially the much earlier one. The newest one seen in the image above look much better but still look a lot like lasers lol

Edited by Bluishdoor76

4 hours ago, Bluishdoor76 said:

the tracers in War Thunder sort of look like lasers lol

pvi29nydkqa21.png

always been sort of a meme in the War Thunder community, specially the much earlier one. The newest one seen in the image above look much better but still look a lot like lasers lol

Oh, the tracers need to be a bit more orange yellow plus thinner as well as the bullets will be smoll. i havent played poorthunder in ten hundred years now.