Game-Labs Forum

First casemates: CSS Virginia

PongoDeMer

I have fought this mission close up with 8" guns in the casemates.  I have fought it at range with plunging fire using 2 x 10" guns, 8" bow chasers and 5" popguns in the casemates.  I have fought with standard and heavy shells and I have experimented with the propellents available to me.  None of this has done any good at all.  About the only thing I haven't tried is ramming.  Can anyone tell me how to win this battle?

Thanks in advance,

Pongo de Mer

This is the monstrosity I completed it with recently. Note, it mounts a single (1) fore mounted 10" gun, and 4 x 8" guns mounted in the rearmost broadsides. The armour was sufficient that the opposing ships weaponry was practically ineffective at all ranges. It is so slow it barely turns, so the tactical usage requires you to sail straight at the monitors using the fore 10" gun. When the orbiting monitor exceeds the available traverse on the fore gun, turn in the opposite direction, and keep turning, until the 10" gun bears on the target again. Rinse and repeat for the eternity it takes to score damaging hits sufficient to sink your opponent. Shellwise I was running an increased load of super heavy shells packing ballistite, with enhanced reloading. The 8" broadside batteries were sufficient only for setting fires and slowly (very) reducing the opposing ships speed.

Note that this battle took a very long to complete for this ship.. particular when needing to re-align the fore battery, time acceleration is highly recommended.

casemates.png

Edited by shaitan
addendum on battle duration.

Managed to play a few battles after the update and it's harder than it used to be. So far with just using AP most of my shells either bounced or just did next to nothing, and as for ramming, yeah just not happening. I did get some luck last night by just spamming H.E and going for lyddite with super heavies, then watching her burn :D. It takes allot of RNG as you need both to remain broadside on to one another for it to work, cause this thing just doesn't turn much, and when your out of 1-1.5km range, good luck hitting anything. Which is weird because when this mission came out I could beat it without relying on RNG.

I don't remember where or when I learned this, but you can mount your main battery guns on the top deck. It really helps with this mission. Seriously, don't use the silly casemates, drop a big ol' cannon or two right on the roof. At least that way it can turn a full 360 and shoot.

Well partial damage is getting a buff now, so it should be somewhat easier or just easier now with the mission.

In alpha 10 when that arrives. Although in real life neither ship was able to pen each other despite near-constant fire for around 3hrs lol at range below 2km.