Game-Labs Forum

pvp perks and knowledge

Rebeka

Question

3 answers to this question

Hey Rebeka,

1. Perks: I‘m not a very good PvPer, but having the Expert Carpenter perk is a must have i think. Beside this i‘d also take Double Shot for larger vessels and close brawls as well as Determined Defender. If you‘re goal is to get to close quarters with a 5th rate or lower though, you should equip it with carronades and take the Carronade Master perk instead of the double shot. 

Other perks depend a bit on the occasion i‘d say:

a) Prepared is very useful for OW PvP but useless in PB.

b) If you‘re goal is to demast enemys you need Double Charge. But this might also be useless If you stick with the carronades (idk)?

The other way round: You certainly don’t want to waste slots with fleet or economical  perks If you‘re out for PvP.

2. If you really want to learn how to PvP there‘s no use in stickig with PvE imo. Take a cheap ship nevermind the knowledge slots, go out and ... well, sink. That‘s what most likely will happen very often, but that‘s how you learn things. Because this is to be expected you rather shouln‘t PvP in ships which are the apple of your eye.

The only exception from this path of learning is manual sailing imo: Fight a PvE battle, sink the enemy and stay in battle to practice every possible manoeuvre (tacking, stopping with backed sails, sailing backwards, getting out of irons) until you‘re able to perform it rather smoothly. Without such familiarity  with manual sailing PvP would be most frustrating imo. 

Edited by Navalus Magnus

Your favorite 5th/6th rate should already have a few slots unlocked. Besides that, choose your ship and master it. Everyone starts with the one ship they really love and can afford to sale. The ship you're most comfortable and familiar with sailing is the one you'll take to PvP. For me that was Renomee, for others it may be a larger vessel.