Game-Labs Forum

Different visuals for sail damage

Looking at the beautiful painting in the Ship Paintings (art-collection) thread, I noticed one painting in particular, which has far more realistic sail damage than what we have now:

Quibcardinaux2.jpg

I realise this is a low priority thing, but it would be so nice if the sail damage in Naval Action actually showed tears and loose flaps like in this painting, instead of cut out holes so common in games.

Cheers,

Brigand

It would be nice to see sails move with the wind. Not just sit still like they are at the moment. Adding any damage visuals like on the painting would be pointless. I mean they can add more bigger holes and such, but we won't be able to see pieces of canvas curl like that. 

• Like 1

Thing is, dynamic sail animations are always a one-way trip to the Uncanny Valley. They usually come across like two-inch pieces of tissue paper blowing in the breeze on your front porch as it spirals down an alley way and between parked cars.

Sail animations need artists mimicking the real thing with an observational technique, not something based in physics.

• Like 1

Thing is, dynamic sail animations are always a one-way trip to the Uncanny Valley. They usually come across like two-inch pieces of tissue paper blowing in the breeze on your front porch as it spirals down an alley way and between parked cars.

Sail animations need artists mimicking the real thing with an observational technique, not something based in physics.

Beautiful Analogy haha. 

Bearing in mind you'd only see that billowing action in extremely light airs, or when the breeze isn't constant.  In any case where you have a faster, steady breeze, especially in the strong, hard, steady wind conditions currently modeled in game, you wouldn't see billowing or much movement at all if the sail was trimmed properly.