Game-Labs Forum

Some turrets not firing

SonicB

I'd hoped that Alpha-9 would solve this issue, but it seems to have persisted. I've noticed that occasionally ships will not fire every turret in a salvo, even when the target is locked. This seems more common at long range, and possibly more common with triple and quad turrets.

I've played four quick battles since the patch released and have had this issue in three of them. As an example, most recently I had a British 1925 battleship with three quad 16" turrets in a two-forward superfiring, one-aft configuration. About one in three salvos, the forward turret did not fire. Range was a constant 17km, my bearing and speed was steady at 26kts, and target was locked on the beam at 3-5% accuracy.

I find this bug so frequently that I have to ask if it's intended behaviour, and if so, why?

On 11/17/2020 at 8:06 PM, SonicB said:

I'd hoped that Alpha-9 would solve this issue, but it seems to have persisted. I've noticed that occasionally ships will not fire every turret in a salvo, even when the target is locked. This seems more common at long range, and possibly more common with triple and quad turrets.

I've played four quick battles since the patch released and have had this issue in three of them. As an example, most recently I had a British 1925 battleship with three quad 16" turrets in a two-forward superfiring, one-aft configuration. About one in three salvos, the forward turret did not fire. Range was a constant 17km, my bearing and speed was steady at 26kts, and target was locked on the beam at 3-5% accuracy.

I find this bug so frequently that I have to ask if it's intended behaviour, and if so, why?

Greetings Admiral. Thank you for the report, this is known issue we are aware of.

• 5 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 6:09 PM, Id10tsyndrome said:

@Ink - Any update on when this will be corrected?  I'm noticing that when I'm playing it's happening more frequently. 

Greetings Admiral!

After some fixes on gun colliders in the previous updates the problem should happen much less now than before. 

If some guns are not firing it might be due to turret rotation not being complete, something that can be frequent if players play at fast forward and their ships have high angular velocity due to their turning or the enemy ships are in fast movement. Another reason might be guns can lose their aiming, so they start to fire successive shots with each turret to regain the aiming.

@Ink - thx for the reply. I've been watching more when playing and think this is still an issue even with the latest fixes you mentioned.  I guess it 'could be' an issue with the guns losing their aiming but when it happens i still have a lock and its even happened when at like 30%+ chance of a hit is showing.  As for movement, this happens even when at slow speeds against slow targets where the ships on either side are moving in a straight line with all guns well within their firing arc. 

Maybe something you guys might want to check out again when you have time.

• 2 months later...

This problem persists and occurs frequently.  What I see is that some turrets will fire every time the reload cycle completes, while the remaining turrets will only fire every other reload cycle.  To the best of my recollection, bow turrets forward of the main tower are the most reliable, and all others seem susceptible to the bug.

I have found that manually selecting a target again after an incomplete salvo will sometimes result in an additional turret firing its guns; rinse and repeat based on the number of turrets remaining to fire.

• Like 3

I've noticed some correlation with turrets which have no 'red' area in their rotation arc (i.e. cannot turn or fire within that arc.) If I build a ship with every turret positioned so that it has a large 'red' area, the problem seems to either go away or be diminished.

That old issue might have been completely fixed in the upcoming update. We fixed a bug in fire arcs, that not only caused side guns to not turn, but could cause guns to not be considered ready to fire. You will be able to test out when the Core Patch becomes released.

• Thanks 3

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2021 at 3:21 AM, Evil4Zerggin said:

This still seems to happen sometimes as of v90. Possibly less than before though I don't have recorded statistics, but still sometimes.

Admiral, please provide full details (with screenshots etc.) in a new thread