Game-Labs Forum

Turret Styles for Differing Countries

Worry_Rock

I understand this game is still somewhat in its infancy, I mean it hasn't even been released yet, so this request may sound like a lot but let me explain. So, as of now, for most countries the turrets of similar caliber or year look the same. So I was wondering if the turrets will ever be stylized based on country? as most turrets didn't look the same in real life. So while I am expecting this to most likely be added but I just wanted to know if it was happening or if anyone had ideas for this.  

• Like 2

Well france and britain are getting more nation flavoured turrets, i think all the nations should have multiple different turret styles for each caliber ranging from 20mm to 510mm guns and maybe even different barrels as well as they weren't always the same either as well.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Well france and britain are getting more nation flavoured turrets, i think all the nations should have multiple different turret styles for each caliber ranging from 20mm to 510mm guns and maybe even different barrels as well as they weren't always the same either as well.

I really hope Britain gets they're own secondary gun designs cause I don't like it's just the American secondary guns. Oh and maybe a HMS Vanguard hull and tower.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CapnAvont1015 said:

I really hope Britain gets they're own secondary gun designs cause I don't like it's just the American secondary guns. Oh and maybe a HMS Vanguard hull and tower.

Along side a KGV and queen Elizabeth hull type and maybe orion as well. For fantasy designs, lion and monarch would be gud to have as well.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Along side a KGV and queen Elizabeth hull type and maybe orion as well. For fantasy designs, lion and monarch would be gud to have as well.

I would love to see Queen Elizabeth hull and Orion. (its kind of hard to make ya know?) Also doesn't Lion and Monarch have the same hull as Vanguard or am I insane?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CapnAvont1015 said:

I would love to see Queen Elizabeth hull and Orion. (its kind of hard to make ya know?) Also doesn't Lion and Monarch have the same hull as Vanguard or am I insane?

Think lion and monarch are closer to KGV than vanguard but im not sure entirely.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure Vanguard is a Lion-class hull modified during its design to carry four twin 15in guns instead of the three triple 16in guns. Also, Monarch is a preliminary design of the KGV's, when the KGV's were supposed to carry nine 15in guns instead of ten 14in. but overall, they're all fairly similar as the Lion's were just enlarged, updated, up-armed KGV's. The Lion's and Vanguard have Transom sterns, and Monarch and KGV's didn't, so there's a tad bit of a difference but they're all fairly similar ships, with the exception of their armaments.

On another related note there are some notable inconsistencies with regards to ship designs.  It appears impossible, when creating a US heavy or light cruiser in the 1940+ era to equip them with 5" secondaries. The design tool limits you to 4" secondaries. Further there significant differences between the various types of 5" guns - the 5/25 and 5/38 have different ballistics, range and armor penetration. Similar differences apply to the various marks and calibers of 4" guns in different nations.  The German and several other countries didn't use 'inches' to describe guns - it was expressed in millimeters.  For example the German 6" gun was actually 15cm (5.9 inch) - it may seem trivial but there are real world (or game world) implications in terms of performance, range, etc..   

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 8:45 PM, The Vorlon said:

On another related note there are some notable inconsistencies with regards to ship designs.  It appears impossible, when creating a US heavy or light cruiser in the 1940+ era to equip them with 5" secondaries. The design tool limits you to 4" secondaries.

I also find this quite annoying when I'm trying to construct something historical, but for the time being I feel they're trying to lay down a baseline with a caliber most navies used as secondaries. As development continues I have a feeling they will start to add more country specific hulls/guns/mods/ect and at that point we'll get things like as you said the 5" American secondaries, maybe some 6"/15cm mains for later German destroyers (Type 1936A Mob) and for the secondaries of the Deutschland's. As for my baseline point the German Admiral Hipper's, Bismarck's, Scharnhorst's, and Deutschland's used 4.1"/10.5cm, the British used 4in guns for the secondaries on a variety of things from HMS Hood to the Leander's and also as the main guns on most destroyers, the Americans used 4" guns as the main guns on the Aylwin's to the Clemson's and as the deck guns on subs, but as you did point out they aren't found as secondaries, the IJN used 10cm guns on the Akizuki's and as secondaries on Ōyodo and Taihō, and the French and Austro-Hungarians used it on other things. 

• 2 weeks later...

Also one point would be considering how the game omits planes (and carriers in general) should DDs be allowed 6" gun mounts (and in general less stringent restrictions on gun sizes)? Historically there has only been a handful of DDs with 6" guns (short of cold war examples and the US 8"RF experiments) but one could counter argue that with the advent of aircraft as a major threat, DDs were equipped with DP guns to be used as screens in large formations and to provide them with some AA capabilities when operating in smaller formations. A quick glance through of comparative 6" mounts (typically used in early war CLs) have weights that are in realistic realms of what a later war DD could handle (~20 tonne range). Considering in this game high velocity direct fire would be more important than DP mounts this would offer more flexibility to create essentially fast quick gunboats able to hold off larger vessels using a combination of gunfire and manoeuvrability. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vifor-class_destroyer