Game-Labs Forum

Idea for Superstructure Classifications/Divisions

Okay, so I know we all want moar superstructure designs for our ships (especially those of us who are history nerds, lol) but I know that the devs are focused on the campaign right now, but here's an idea that I had for when/if new superstructures are added.

I was thinking they could break superstructures into two design groups: old and new/modern

Think about it, the US Navy is a perfect example. The Superstructures of US Navy ships (except for destroyers) during the late 1920s and earlier are characterized by Cage Masts and later Tripod Masts (like the Texas, New York, Nevada, Pensacola, Northampton) after many ships were refit or modernized. Then the later or "modern" superstructures are characterized by very blocky superstructures (think Cleveland, Brooklyn, Baltimore, North Carolina-sorta) and the design of the Iowa and South Dakota class superstructures.

If you don't want to think about US ships, you could look at the Japanese Navy. They were similar, having mostly tripod masts (like the Fuso and early Kongo battlecruisers) and then after many ships underwent modernization, they gained the iconic Pagoda Towers.

I'm kind of uneducated when it comes to European Navies, but it's evident that many navies came up with their own unique designs for superstructures/towers.

Just a little idea I had, but I feel like this idea (coupled with the idea of being able to place superstructures anywhere along the centerline) would add a little more variety to the game, especially to heavy and light cruisers.

It essentially isn't that different. I was basically just advocating, once again, for new superstructures that are more characteristic of certain nations and maybe rename them from names like "advanced tower" and "modern tower" to more fitting names like "Pagoda Tower" or "Tripod Mast." Main reason I suggest this is because once you get into later time periods (say 1925 and onwards), the light cruisers are basically the exact same across every nation--with the exception of Japan who has that "Experimental Cruiser" hull--and the "Modern Light Cruiser" hulls currently all support a 4 gun AB-XY arrangement perfectly, but not many other gun layouts. Heavy cruisers are a little better, with multiple Superstructure options (the US, Japan and Germany come to mind) where you can choose between, essentially, an upscaled modern light cruiser or a downscaled battleship (the US and Germany have this particular problem with their heavy cruisers and battlecruisers basically being smaller versions of the Iowa Class and Bismarck Class).

I dunno, I guess it's just the current superstructure options for cruisers is getting kinda stale and you really only have two options most of the time: the 4 gun layout that every nation has and that looks exactly the same, or a downscaled battleship.

• Like 1

Yeah hopefully we can have mods out, so 3D artists like myself can then simply model the extra meshes, objects and features. Texturing them, we will have to have games lab give us hand with how we should set the textures out unless they don't mind in general.

• Like 1