Game-Labs Forum

"Fire as she bears!"

I think it would be great to a have an option to fire cannons as they bear on a nearby passing ship instead of having to either fire single shots at a time from random cannons, or a full broadside (which can result in some shots missing their mark completely, especially when performing a rake).

Yes, but it would automate an integral part of the game, and that's the player's own accuracy and gunnery skills.  I'm not sure that's a good idea.  Real or not.

• Like 1

Actually I like the idea as long as it is implemented correctly.  For example, add a fire mode the ripple fires the guns from bow to stern but you have to actually hold the fire button pressed through the entire sequence.  Then if you don't hold them button for the entire duration, the minute you release the button, all the remaining guns fire in broadside.  

Another option would be to set up the ship in like 5 sections with section 1 at the front and section 5 at the end.  Then with each press of the fire button, you fire each section one after the other until all 5 sections have fired.

Basically either method or perhaps something a lot more clever would give you the "fire as you bare" feature but still require direct player input that is tied to their accuracy and timing.  

• Like 2

I will offer, that I would like to be able to fire the pairing of upper and lower decks together (as applicable if equal in number).

Player skill still required for manual aim, but why in all honesty would a captain fire one left to right and then go back and do it again?

At present, it makes more sense to turn off the lighter gun deck (typically top deck) and go through the heavier gun deck to ensure best bang for buck during a limited rake opportunity...

• Like 2

Yes, but it would automate an integral part of the game, and that's the player's own accuracy and gunnery skills.  I'm not sure that's a good idea.  Real or not.

If the cannons fired in order from bow to stern for each hit of the spacebar, I could see your point.

But accuracy and gunnery skills are really not that important when you are passing 30' from an enemy's hull.

You're not going to use "fire as she bears" on a ship much farther away than that.

• 1 month later...

I think any sort of AI directed fire can be implemented with a degree of inaccuracy built into the mechanics that a player can overcome by doing it manually. Allows the player to choose what he wants to focus on as a captain. Making sure he avoids crashing with another ship while loosing some of his broadsides damage to AI inaccuracy or hunkering down over his guns and making every ball count.

Simple solution, spacebar fires from bow to stern.

Still manual process but no need to mess around with stuff like memorizing the pattern in which guns fire or disabling gundecks.

BUT sometimes you want to fire stern to bow...  Players need to be able to select the other as well.  Bow -> stern by default perhaps, with a keystroke to switch it when required.

This random fire is frustrating, perhaps not as much for SOL's, but on the little ships it means you miss more times than not even when using the space bar...

Edited by SYN_Bloody-Bandy
  • Like 1

We also need the entire column to fire as well as the return to normal ranging fire instead of the delayed one we have now.

My keyboard cries out for another solution other than manual. But I must agree with Prater...

I have considered ranging shot and then turn off a deck, ranging shot, turn on a deck, repeat repeat repeat... But it shouldn't be this onerous. If all Cannons fire kept to right or bow to stern, give me the option of firing all the very first column of Cannons so I can simulate "fire as she bears".

This is aside from the fact I'll need to replace my keyboard soon :)

• Like 1