Game-Labs Forum

Convert Brig into Brigantine?

Hello, my fellow tar jackets,

I followed the discussions lately about the new ships addition. Especially the Navy Brig and the discussions about the Brigs in general with their square riggin made me think. While everybody seems to enjoy the schooner style ships like the privateer, commanders and captains complain about the Brig and the Navy Brig. They find it hard to change from the schooner style riggin to square riggin, which for sure is needed to be learned if you want to steer the bigger ships, no doubt about that! But there are hybrids like the schoonerbrig or brigantine that could help here to lower the learning curve with their hybrid style riggin. Therefore I suggest that the Brig will be converted to a Brigantine followed by the Navy Brig. In my opinion the Navy Brig is "just another Brig" with two more guns, so I would love to have a Brigantine between the privateer and the Navy Brig to have more choice and make the transition to square riggin easier for those who complain. What do you think about it? Just let me know and maybe game-labs change it if there are enough commanders and captains that wants that change. 

Master and Commander

Humorvollerdenker

• Like 2

I would not change the current brig because people don't like it. If we go that way, there is no end to the buff this, nerve that  discussion. The brig as it is is a viable option, even more so when the open world will be around.

Yet, I do think there should be a brigantine in the game. In fact, I've been lobbying for a Brigantine since December 2013. Initially, admin said it will be included. Later he mentioned that it has been postponed till some unknown time in the future.

Anyhow, my guess is that all development time for the foreseeable future is taken up by the open world.

Cheers,

Brigand

• Like 1

I do not mind the Navy Brig at all. It suits the class of brigs for a more warlike objective into OW.

Although I must note that the the Royal Portuguese Armada used more brigantines/war schooners than simply refurbished brigs.

The picture below is from one named 'Voador' and was classified as a brigantine ( bergantim ).

Was captured by the French and re-classified as a corvette.

I guess 24 guns is quite a complement for a upgraded brig ;) ( this model featured 20 of 12 and 4 of 6 )

Maybe we see it in the future.

Corveta+Reino+Unido+20+pe%25C3%25A7as+de

You may also have a 3 mast schooner, became quite widespread for fast supply traders, especially for us with Port and Madeira wine which can spoil fast at sea, so speed was of essence.

SSAmphitrite_bearbeitet.jpg

The picture below is from one named 'Voador' and was classified as a brigantine ( bergantim ).

Was captured by the French and re-classified as a corvette.

I guess 24 guns is quite a complement for a upgraded brig ;) ( this model featured 20 of 12 and 4 of 6 )

Maybe we see it in the future.

Corveta+Reino+Unido+20+pe%C3%A7as+de+art

You may also have a 3 mast schooner, became quite widespread for fast supply traders, especially for us with Port and Madeira wine which can spoil fast at sea, so speed was of essence.

s7vxasg7djpkgfkgyxab.jpg

The first image you link is, by our definition, a brig. This is because her main sail is the course on the main mast (whereas on a brigantine the main sail is the fore-and-aft gaff sail).

As for 3-masted schooners, I think (not sure) that they only became into their own after the time period the game is set in; in the age of the clipper ships.

Cheers,

Brigand

Cheers. The Brigs we have now miss the aft sail if memory serves me right. The War Brig could feature it as well ???  but not sure if the configuration was common use in all navies.

The schooner configuration 3 mast is indeed from 1830's ( that is the earliest I could find in the digitized records at the moment for our navy, but the configuration recorded as... from the end of the XVIII century )

Cheers. The Brigs we have now miss the aft sail if memory serves me right. The War Brig could feature it as well ???  but not sure if the configuration was common use in all navies.

As far as I know, the brig not often set their main course. It was deemed unpractical by many captains as it did little to increase sailing capacities and added a lot of work.

The snow on the other hand usually did fly a main course. For us 21st century folks, the snow and the brig look closely related, while, in fact, they are not. The brig came about by gradually decreasing the size of the brigantine's main sail up to the point where they added a second spar to the main mast (a brigantine has only a single spar on her main mast which is why here main mast is sometimes referred to as a 'schooner mast').

The snow on the other hand is much older and is, in essence, the same as a three masted ship; she was a common type in the Baltic Sea. Her mizzen mast has gradually become smaller and moved closer to her main mast, up to the point where it became a try-sail mast. Trivia: 'snow' is an English transliteration of the Dutch word 'Snauw', which come from 'snavel schip'. This refers to their characteristic sharp bows: 'snavel' means 'beak' in English.

(I love two masted vessels)

Cheers,

Brigand

• Like 1