Game-Labs Forum

List of ships and other vessels in the game

Brigand

I think the dutch Indiamen Amsterdam is based on Chapmans desigs, but I most certanly are wrong.  I was wrong indeed.

However plenty of swedish ships have been presented and the 1778 60 gun Wasa (not the fail version of the same name with "V")   -that is your profile picture- finished #5 in the winter poll out of 58 initial sugestions.

Edited by BlueEagleGER

The list here are all ships that are ingame or will come in eventually, however not all are in developement right now.

The best way to see on which ships devs are working on is here, the WiP threat: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/987-work-in-progress/

ATM it is:  Bucentaure, french 3rd rate

Rattlesnake, US corvette

USS Niagara, US Brig o´War

a xebec, 

• Like 2

Yeah, the bottom section (with the greyed-out entries) of the list on the first page shows the ships that we know are coming, or are at least likely to come. However, that may not be all the ships in development, because the devs occasionally surprise us (like they did when they showed Niagara recently). 

• Like 1

Good eye My profile Picture is indeed a Ship of the Wasa class (not Wasa herself but a member of the Class Wasa was the leadship off probably HMS Dristigheten)

I have a Post on the class in the Additional ship suggestions Thread.

Indeed its HMS Dristigheten by 1785 she had 64 cannons and 1806 74 cannons. Also nummber 8 of 10 ships in that class.

Hmm i think the ship listed as the Belle Poule is the wrong one?.

The Current Belle Poule on the list is the Belle Poule (1765) Armed with 26x 12 Lb guns and 4x 6lb guns

While the Belle Poule Currently ingame is more likley the Belle Poule (1806) armed with 28x 18lb Guns and 14x 32lb Carronades +  2x 9lb guns and 2x 32lb carronades on the Forecastle.

So since the Ingame Belle Poule is armed with 40 guns and can carry 18lb guns if its indeed a Belle Poule it must be the 1802 Belle Poule.

The ingame model is the 12-pounder Belle Poule of 1765. The 1806 Belle Poule was a Venus-Virginie class 18-pounder by Sané, so either GL messed up their research or it´s for balance purposes until we get a proper french 18 pounder vessel (would prefer a design by Forfait, though).

While we´re at messed-up research/balance, does the Renommée still have these ridiculous stern chasers on the upper deck?

Edited by Malachi

It was mentioned above in this thread that the Belle Poule might be able to carry 18 pounders on her gundeck due to leghts/width specifications. Its fictional but not far off from reality. Who knows..

Brits also "overgunned" their ships frequently when they capped them from the french.

18 pounders on a ship with that kind of tumblehome? Interessant.

And there were very few cases where an upgrading from french 8-pounders to british 12-pounders did happen (e.g. Ambuscade of 1744 or Bellone/Repulse), but I don´t think a switch form 12 to 18 pounders was possible, at least not without severly damaging the structural integrity of the ship, not to mention the sailing characteristics.

Hard to know what would happen with sailing characteristics, but with an already lightly-built French hull, increasing armament from 12-pdrs to 18-pdrs would probably wreak such havoc on the ship's timbers that you would have an unserviceable hulk in 2-3 years of service.

I am very reserved about the possibility of the 18-pdr in the gundeck of la Belle-Poule. The frigate is absolutely not intended to carry this caliber.

Sampling of wood gundeck can not support 26 guns of 18-pdr. It's much more weight!

The recoil of a gun 18-pdr and much stronger than that of a 12-pdr gun. The boat may resent it.

And there are not enough staff to properly serve the guns when battle on both sides.

Anyway, this frigate is not built to be armed with 18-pdr.

The game features 18-pdr for la Belle-Poule is one thing, but this is not the historical reality.

How many guns did the Belle Poule (1765) have?.

Shes Rated between 26-32 guns in what i can find any1 have an exact count and if she carried 12lb long guns on her Quarterdeck or if they where smaller.

26*12-pounder on the upper deck, 6*6-pounder on the quarterdeck

if those are the actual numbers then the ingame armament is really wrong... since not only dose the ingame variant have 18lb guns on the lower deck u can have 12lb long guns or 24lb carronades on the quarterdeck.

and is that 6 sixpounders per side? or 6 in total.

The ANCRE monograph seems to be the definitive work on Belle Poule.  The model in the work has 5x guns per side on the QC/FC, as in game.  However, the game has broadside guns mounted in the front bridle (chase) ports, giving her 28 rather than 26 guns on the upper deck.  Here is her correct upper deck gun layout:

la-belle-poule-fregate-1765.jpg

http://ancre.fr/en/monographies-en/17-la-belle-poule-fregate-1765.html

Unfortunately, I don't think devs are interested in addressing this common solution to chase guns (broadside guns moved forward as needed to a port that is angled more forward, but not straight ahead) and are instead mounting permanent broadside guns in these positions on several ships, although as you can see guns in that position would not really be able to participate in broadside fire straight out of the side of the ship

Don't know why she is allowed 12s on her FC/QD as that seems like insane over-armament.  I'd rather see 12pdrs on upper deck and 6pdrs / 24pdr carronades on FC/QD for normal armament, and allow 18pdrs on upper deck and 9pdrs on FC/QD, but with steep performance penalties.

so we have 3 9lb (8lb) Frigates 3 18lb Frigates and 1 24 lb Frigate (or can the Trinc use 24lb guns?...)

and 1 24lb heavy Frigate (Connie)

But no 12lb Frigates so far?.

And 12lb Frigates where in no way rare...

So id say Make the belle a 12lb Frigate (if it is indeed the 1765 Belle Poule)

Edited by mattebubben

As i understood there where attempts to use the Suprise with 12ld guns on the gun deck but the strain proved to be to heavy thus they where replaced with 32lb Carronades.

They really need to lower the Rating of Carronades letting ships have there correct Carronades.

For example Suprise would use 32lb carronades on gun deck and 18lb carronades on QD.

and the Trinc would have 32lb carronades on the Quarter deck.

While now its limited to 24lb Carronades or 12lb Long guns.

32lb Carronades should be equal or lower rank then 12 cannons.

Maby nerf the range abit on carronades if they need balancing.

Put atm most of the smaller ships cant use the Carronades they historically used