Game-Labs Forum

List of ships and other vessels in the game

Brigand

Here is a tally of the amount of ships per (original) nation. Trade ships not included. Non-confirmed light-grey ships also not included, two 1st half 2016 ships are included based on current winners in the poll.

Great Britain: 8

United States: 4

Russia/Denmark: 4

France: 3

Sweden: 2

Spain: 2

Dutch Republic: 0

It's too early to tell what ships are going to win the poll right now, IMO. I agree that Diana seems to basically be guaranteed with the way things are going, but 2nd place has been going back and forth for a while, with Admiraal de Ruyter, Venus, and Christian VII all being in 2nd at one time or another. For the past couple of days, Venus and Christian VII have been trading the spot, alternatively leading or being led by just a couple of votes. It seems too early to tell which ship will take 2nd place, then, and we also won't know what the developer wildcard is going to be until the devs tell us. 

La Renommée was a 40 gun frigate of the Pallas class She became HMS Java in the Royal Navy, where she was equipped with 38 guns but was captured by USS Constitution (44 guns)

lol this is the 1808 one.

Edited by BusterGut

i dont really like the look of Christian VII the complet Straight Walls are not really as apearling as a more rounder shape of Vic or the Ocean. or even Bellona

Doesn´t look that straight to me ;)

Edited by Malachi

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a tally of the amount of ships per (original) nation. Trade ships not included. Non-confirmed light-grey ships also not included, two 1st half 2016 ships are included based on current winners in the poll.

Great Britain: 8

United States: 4

Russia/Denmark: 4

France: 3

Sweden: 2

Spain: 2

Dutch Republic: 0

I'm kinda sad that this game still doesn't have any Dutch ships in it.

Next to being a world power for quite a while , they had the strongest navy in the 17th century.

But somehow games like this never have any or only a couple Dutch ships in it, while it was one of the most powerful nations during the age of sail.

It's a shame , because they had loads of beautiful looking ships.

I still hope I can sail ''De Zeven Provinciën'' in the future , but I'm happy with whatever Dutch ships they bring into the game.

Edited by Jehuty
  • Like 2

A razeed Pavel? Is there any historical basis for that?

I don't think so. Would be a shame if the most powerful frigate in game were pure fantasy, especially when there are Russian heavy frigates that could be made. I hope it is abandoned project with resources redirected to historical ships.

A razeed Pavel? Is there any historical basis for that?

Making a razee out of an 80-gun ship would be a very strange decision because most razees were made out of older, less useful SoLs. 80-gunners were expensive, top-of-the-line ships. And even if you did have an older 80-gunner, the great length of these vessels made them wear out very quickly, so a razee would be hogged and useless in a few years.

Only St. Pavel class ships that were re-classed, that I could find so far were the

'Sviatoi Andrei Pervozvannyy' (1758) and the 'Chesma' (1770) and the 'Sviatoi Kliment Papa Rimskii' (1758)

Russian Warships in the Age of Sail John Tredrea and Eduard Sozaev

main source threedecks.org

all of them to 74 and 72 guns. Given most of the ships in the class were sold/decommissioned maybe some has been razeed and brought back ?!

Making a razee out of an 80-gun ship would be a very strange decision because most razees were made out of older, less useful SoLs. 80-gunners were expensive, top-of-the-line ships. And even if you did have an older 80-gunner, the great length of these vessels made them wear out very quickly, so a razee would be hogged and useless in a few years.

I hadn't thought of that. What had occurred to me, though, was that given the size of an 80-gunner, that would be one big frigate once you'd razeed her. It seems to me that that would make for a kinda weird-looking ship. 

Oh, so you'll be able to choose to raze your two-deckers down to frigates? I'm interested, but... wary. If that option is going to be available for all two-deckers, how many of the resulting razees will be historically accurate? Two-deckers were very common ships. Razees... not so much. You might run out of historical razees to implement, especially when you start dealing with two-deckers from nations that weren't in the habit of razeeing their ships. 

Edited by Arvenski

Oh, so you'll be able to choose to raze your two-deckers down to frigates? I'm interested, but... wary. If that option is going to be available for all two-deckers, how many of the resulting razees will be historically accurate? Two-deckers were very common ships. Razees... not so much. You might run out of historical razees to implement, especially when you start dealing with two-deckers from nations that weren't in the habit of razeeing their ships. 

Plus the sailing/floating characteristics are severely different and hard to match to hypothetical reconstructions without any documentation.