Game-Labs Forum

How will a campaign war work. A questions about other branches of a conflict.

Kaiser Hans

As we get closer to a true campaign I must ask, how will a war actually work?

Will we be able to see our boarder that changes as we lose and win wars, or will it be like what RtW2 do and just have a map dotted with areas that are naval bases that you take.
Are we going to be able to see the land conflict when a war start? During a war I really doubt that the land forces will sit on their asses during a war and not try and attack pushing the enemy. To also add on to this point how will a war between two nations like Germany and Russia will go, as its really hard to see Germany winning this type of war by just killing Russian ships.

What are yalls thought on this? And what do you hope to see during the campaign.

On 9/16/2020 at 7:08 PM, Kaiser Hans said:

To also add on to this point how will a war between two nations like Germany and Russia will go, as its really hard to see Germany winning this type of war by just killing Russian ships.

I mean, Russia did get swamped by Germany in WW1.

Really it would probly be like in RTW with some minor events showing land campaigns. After all, control of the sea is a decisive factor in any war, representative with blockade and the like. And gameplay wise, it would suck to dominate the sea fully yet lose massively with tons of bases gone and funding slashed because of factors completely out of your direct control. At that point, may as well make a full grand strategy game or a really epic scoped one like War in The Pacific 

11 hours ago, Bry7x7x7 said:

I mean, Russia did get swamped by Germany in WW1.

Really it would probly be like in RTW with some minor events showing land campaigns. After all, control of the sea is a decisive factor in any war, representative with blockade and the like. And gameplay wise, it would suck to dominate the sea fully yet lose massively with tons of bases gone and funding slashed because of factors completely out of your direct control. At that point, may as well make a full grand strategy game or a really epic scoped one like War in The Pacific 

Yes yes I do understand Russia got curb stamped by Germany in World War 1 however this game opens up the possibilities of alt history Russian Vs Germany in a different war.

What I'm more interested in is will we be able to see the boarder change as we "win" in the war, say we managed to slam dunk the Russians so hard the army is able to be supported by the navy via naval bombardment and naval raids in strategic ports the army is attacking. Stuff like that really adds to the immersion that the navy is truly helping directly in the war not just sitting there and starving the population via a blockade.

I fully understand this game is about ships and naval battles, I do not wish that they add the ability to control the army. The only exception I can see is amphibians assault with marines, even then I hope it is just a button that selects a target and they will do it when we control the sea.

And finally all I really want if all of this is impossible is the ability to see historical boarders 1890 that changes as wars are won and lost not just naval bases changing hands.

13 minutes ago, Kaiser Hans said:

*Snip*

Fair enough, I suppose if you broke up the map in a "Provencal" or "State" system rather than the base system RTW has to show some border change. Mostly just coastal ones of course but maybe some inland ones that can supply a valuable resource like coal/oil/steel.

I guess it also does beg the question how interaction with the branches of the navy and army there is, both on the map and when competing with funding. Say you take every opportunity to squeeze every cent of funding from the army, when at war, you have a harder time gaining victory points as the army struggles to gain victories and all the war effort fall onto you. Where bending over to the army means to have less funds, so less ships and of less quality so sea battles are an uphill struggle and if you're blockaded, that advantage the army has will shrink drastically over time.