Game-Labs Forum

Save game

Navalus Magnus

@sterner

Imo it would be awesome if the game could be saved inside a battle.

That‘s because battles tend be be quite time consuming in UA: AoS and everytime rl intervenes (e.g. childreen cry, friends visit unexpected) players need to quit and later on restart the battle all over again.

In such cases the ability to save the progress already made would be very helpful!

UGCW is a finished game that has that feature however this game is not finished so as much as I would like to have that feature I would rather have them focus on making sure all the battles in all of the campaigns work correctly even with all the most recent updates so currently I cannot complete Mare Magnum for days now and even at this very moment in time it prevents from enjoying this new battle. What happens is at the moment I decide to pause or pause a few times suddenly the battle won't come back from a pause so basically the game still plays the music and I can even give orders to my ships but nothing happens. I can F11, I can go to the menu or restart battle but if I do it happens again.

The main problem for me is in the Barbary War DLC so even starting the whole campaign again which is two battles before this one that stops my campaign so all I am just saying is imagine all the glitches and bugs that would populate if that feature was activated now.

• 4 weeks later...

@sterner

On 8/27/2020 at 10:36 PM, Navalus Magnus said:

Imo it would be awesome if the game could be saved inside a battle.

Played again yesterday, „Glorious June“, couldn‘t finish it because of rl interruptions, thus i spend 3 hours to no avail, concerning ingame progress.

I decided not to play again until the save game option is available in battles - please confirm that it’s comming (i like your game)!

On 8/28/2020 at 4:36 AM, doublebuck said:

imagine all the glitches and bugs that would populate if that feature was activated now.

Imagine all the bugs which could be detected and solved thanx to more casuals starting to play this game, because they know they are able to save progress when they want!

Edited by Navalus Magnus

I agree wholeheartedly.  The lack of an battle save feature is a problem especially if one is a newer player.  I struggle on this game and if you make a mistake partway into a battle then you are sorry out of luck and have to replay the entire mission.  Instead of being able to save a bit as you go, which could sometimes save hours.  This would allow me to be able to try some new tactics without feeling so discouraged that I wasted a ton of time.  Sometimes RNG is not nice either which adds to the frustration.  I was pretty good at ultimate general civil war but ship combat, wind, sailing ect make the difficulty much harder.  Much easier to learn when you can mess up and not completely loose your progress.  Also much easier to find time to play if you can start somthing, play for a bit and be able to stop if you have to attend to real life non game stuff!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sterner said:

We do not have plans and resources to implement the feature in the game. It is very complex feature and will require rewriting of multiple components in the game, what will generate zillion bugs. We will consider this functionality in next game. 

That is very sad to read!

... because it basically means i‘m not able to play this game anymore - the battles in the later stages of the campaigns are just too time consuming to get them done before real life interrupts me.

I‘m really disappointed about that, because almost every single game has such a savegame feature.

Imo you should be willing and able to realize that, to satisfy your customers!

Moreso because i‘m quite sure i‘m not able to get a refund!?

Edited by Navalus Magnus

What is the reason for the refund? Does the game crash? Doesn't the game have promised content? Does impossible to finish the game? 

Nothing is relevant from described above.
If you do not like something in the game, started to not like something, or tired from the game then it is not a reason for an overreaction or refund. 

The game has saves in the campaign but does not have saves in battle, as many others games. It is a design decision. Battles do not take longer than one hour, 80% of battles take less than 30 minutes. Hard to find a game where you have to spend less time.

PS! You played Naval Action, how did you live without saves in battles? I think that a save feature in NA Port Battle is a must-have feature for Naval Action.

16 hours ago, sterner said:

If you do not like something in the game, started to not like something, or tired from the game then it is not a reason for an overreaction or refund.

1. I‘m neither tiered of the game nor do i dislike it - i think i already mentioned that above.

2. Nevertheless I must say, that i‘m utterly disappointed because i didn‘t expect a real time strategy game without the above mentioned save game option. That is quite unusual as far as i know!

It is a design decision. Battles do not take longer than one hour, 80% of battles take less than 30 minutes. Hard to find a game where you have to spend less time.

3. I don‘t know how you play this game and were you have your data from, but i‘m in the middle of the british campaign (glorious ... of June) and at the Cheseapeake in the american campaign. I played on middle / normal difficulty and had quite a few battles that lasted 2h plus (yes i use the „pause“ or „break“ option frequently, lest to lose control- especially in naval engagements).

4. From other players posts on this forum i deduce, that - at least sometimes, - they also spend significantly more time to finish a battle, than the time frames you suggested above. 

5. It should be obvious that every game with a save game option inside of a battle requires players to spend less time at a stretch than UA: AoS!

6. This save game option inside of a battle thus is extremely relevant for me and every other player who isn‘t able to run through battles in the times you suggested.

That‘s because i do not have the time annymore to play 2 hours at a stretch. If i can‘t save my progress, i can‘t finish the game - i can‘t enjoy the fleet battles i bought the game for.

PS! You played Naval Action, how did you live without saves in battles? I think that a save feature in NA Port Battle is a must-have feature for Naval Action.

7. That is very poor way of arguing Imo, because you well know that these games are no good choice for a comparison concerning save options: NA is an MMO and UA: AoS is a single player real time strategy game!

• 5 weeks later...

I will be the one that goes against the stream, but i would say in-game saves are not that important, and will make game much easier because player would eliminate random things happening to him (losing a mast,or ship blowing up for example ) by simply saving a lot...  :)

8 hours ago, JaM said:

I will be the one that goes against the stream, but i would say in-game saves are not that important, and will make game much easier because player would eliminate random things happening to him (losing a mast,or ship blowing up for example ) by simply saving a lot...  :)

Well, it‘s up to each and every player how to handle things, but the asset of mid-battle saves is a very different one imo - as you can doubtlessly glean from posts above!

• 2 years later...
On 7/12/2023 at 12:16 PM, Matthew HNE Fernando said:

Hi, I'm new here. This game does not have cloud save?? So if ever there's a time I switch PC, I lose all my progress??

Hello, I believe you can copy save files from Steam and use it on another PC