Game-Labs Forum

If IJN Kawachi launched first do you think all big gun ships would be called Kawachis?

1 hour ago, BobRoss0902 said:

IJN Kawachi (I believe) was designed before HMS Dreadnought, they were ordered at similar times.

Let's say Kawachi launched first, do you think Dreadnoughts would be called Kawachis?

I think yes. Because HMS Dreadnought created a new chapter in ship building history. If the Kawachi would have been the first than she would have created this chapter in ship building history.  

• Like 3

There was also that italian ship design and also the american one which had similar layouts to dreadnought. I think also because she was built so fast that also made it an achievement as well. (maybe an ability to make yer workers work more quickly for one type of ship? And a little message pops up showcasing a world news reel or something?).

• Like 4

Honestly for the best that Dreadnought was first, if for no other reason that Dreadnought-battleship just sounds better than "Kawacki-battleship" "Kawacki-like battleship" or "Kawacki-styled battleship."

Same really for any other of the nation's dreadnoughts if they would in some alt-timeline be launched first. Be it South Carolina, Nassau, Dante Alighieri, Imperatritsa Mariya, or Courbet.

Maybe Tegetthoff has a better ring to it, but the Austrians were behind on that so not really a possibility.

8 hours ago, Bry7x7x7 said:

Honestly for the best that Dreadnought was first, if for no other reason that Dreadnought-battleship just sounds better than "Kawacki-battleship" "Kawacki-like battleship" or "Kawacki-styled battleship."

Same really for any other of the nation's dreadnoughts if they would in some alt-timeline be launched first. Be it South Carolina, Nassau, Dante Alighieri, Imperatritsa Mariya, or Courbet.

Maybe Tegetthoff has a better ring to it, but the Austrians were behind on that so not really a possibility.

Tbf the pronunciation is Ka-wa-tschi not Ka-wa-cki. Although I have to agree on you that "Dreadnought" sounds really cool because it kind of reflects the technological revolution it was

I don't think if any of the others had been first, their name would be used the same way as Dreadnought was.

I don't know about the Italian, but both the Kawachi and the American ship were named after regions. Dreadnought on the other hand is something along the lines of "has nothing to fear" with no direct connection to any country, beyond the British just happening to be the one to pick the word.
I think it's exactly this "country neutrality" that allowed the name Dreadnought to become internationally used. And on top of that it's a prett bad-ass name to boot. ^^

After all the Fubuki was pretty much the same thing to destroyers that Dreadnought was to Battleships and yet nobody ever considered calling destroyers in that style "Fubuki-style" DDs.

In regards to the Tegethoffs... the Austro-Hungarians messed it up before that. In the planning of what would eventually become their last Pre-Dreadnought they did consider a "Dreadnought" design, but didn't quite have the shipyards capable of building such a design and thus went back to a more traditional Pre-Dreadnought design.
But then again the name Radetzky is also tied to the country, coming from a famous Field Marshal, so I doubt it would have caught on like Dreadnought did.

Edited by Norbert Sattler
12 hours ago, TsAGI said:

Tbf the pronunciation is Ka-wa-tschi not Ka-wa-cki. Although I have to agree on you that "Dreadnought" sounds really cool because it kind of reflects the technological revolution it was

I mean no disrespect to the Kawacki herself, but the British do have a special way of naming their ships that really worked out here.

On 8/23/2020 at 5:13 AM, TsAGI said:

Isn't it just -chi as in chin? I haven't seen a Hiragana rendering and I'm no good with Kanji, but I don't think the tsu sound is in front of it.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:57 PM, Durham Dave said:

Isn't it just -chi as in chin? I haven't seen a Hiragana rendering and I'm no good with Kanji, but I don't think the tsu sound is in front of it.

Tschi as in german "tschi" because so many people read chi as 'ki'. There isn't a tsu sound implied in my comment whatsoever