Game-Labs Forum

What’s this game like for a solo player?

Hello everyone,,

I’ve had Naval Action on my Steam wishlist for a while and the current price drop has piqued my interest again. I used to be quite into POTBS on the shipbuilding side, as I was never on enough for PVP (and I was terrible at it! https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/ https://wordtopdf.ltd/).

I’ve seen the number of thumbs down reviews and just wanted some opinions of people who have played the game on what it’d be like for someone who’s not so into PVP? Is there an in game economy? What’s the PVE like?

Edited by Jinesh

There is a simplistic AI game economy that becomes boring very quickly.  It is pathetically easy to make lots of Reals and Doubloons.  The Admin has explained that; they are very pleased with the combat and beautiful ships, but players seeking an interesting econ-trading-game should look elsewhere.

I play solo almost all the time, and prefer the War server because it is more exciting: fleeing from hunters.  I don't fight, or build ships, but enjoy trading with players.  I like to supply resources and repairs to help other players.  The community is varied and complex and trading with players is very challenging.  The most profitable ports for selling to players are dangerous to approach and exit.  But it's thrilling.  Player trading requires persistence and a willingness to build trust.  The game mechanics allow clans to be almost self sufficient within a port and therefore clans have very little need for a Trader.

International player to player direct trade is currently very difficult to impossible.  I used to trade with players from.other countries but the mechanics make it impractical now. Communication between nations has been systematically discouraged, and the culture of NA encourages attacking and aggressively trying to sink all foreign players without conversing.

I also play on the Peace server but there is not much demand, from players, for any of the services a trader can provide.

I don't fight NPCs.  NA is a good game that can hold your interest for years.  The good part of the community are best players I've met online.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 2

Former rackham France, then Antigua here.  Ship building is so simple in this game compared to potbs .  Crafting in general is dumbed down and requires you to build ships to gain xp which allows more labor hours to build things or harvest resources.  If you want fun trading look elsewhere IMHO.

Edited by TPS Report
  • Like 1

PVE Server: is very calm, as described, you and other nations wait for NPC ships to sink/catch (who is the most lucky or most fast to tag them? is the main question), you have to defend your ports against AI attacks and you gather xp and craft xp over the time. You have to gather resources and to deal with RNG to craft some decent ships which are relatively safe in your harbour (exept you lose them to AI fights which might happen sometimes)

PVP Server: You have all above plus fights against real players (which are really fun, believe me) plus thrilling trade runs in dangerous places plus more frustration. Expect to lose your ships daily, it takes enornous energy to replace them so calculate in to buy some DLC ships and you can lose even a super upgraded ship if you are ganked by a group - for example a small group of enemy ships with a fast small ship that can keep you tagged / destroy your sails to slow you down and a really big ship that finishes you off in a second

I mostly play alone, because my clan members often are not on when I am on, and I must say that the frustration factor is high, but also the coolness factor if you make a successfull raid of an enemy ship. So I think everybody must decide for himself if the game is attractive enough to compensate for all the frustration or of it's not. Seeing it from the point of view of a fan of ships of 1812 period there is no better game out.

5 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I also play on the Peace server but there is not much demand, from players, for any of the services a trader can provide.

Honestly I don't remember having seen you offering goods or transportation on global, ever.

19 hours ago, Jinesh said:

Is there an in game economy?

Economy I find not as bad as the comments once again are suggesting. Regional offered goods make guaranteed profits if delivered to other regions; the farther, the better. There is another level of national or european goods only spawning in capital zones which also do sell well in far off provincial locations. Goods spawn from time to time, so you don't get your certain load of top goods and may have to load secondary valuables or worse. They still make a profit. So that is not difficult. Those who can't afford buying goods for resale do economy missions, transporting cargo or passengers to specified ports, which is always recommendable to beginners as investment of own money is zero.

Trading between players will consist only of materials which are needed for production: ships, upgrades, cannons etc.

I used to deal in woods but recently we got spawning regular woods in large numbers all over the map, with port AI prices you can hardly beat as producer, so that became pointless. That is also why I think nobody needs to set up a plantation any more, with all those investments, it's cheaper to buy from spawn places or from admiralty for doubloons. r.i.p. wood business.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Honestly I don't remember having seen you offering goods or transportation on global, ever.

Economy I find not as bad as the comments once again are suggesting. Regional offered goods make guaranteed profits if delivered to other regions; the farther, the better. There is another level of national or european goods only spawning in capital zones which also do sell well in far off provincial locations. Goods spawn from time to time, so you don't get your certain load of top goods and may have to load secondary valuables or worse. They still make a profit. So that is not difficult. Those who can't afford buying goods for resale do economy missions, transporting cargo or passengers to specified ports, which is always recommendable to beginners as investment of own money is zero.

Trading between players will consist only of materials which are needed for production: ships, upgrades, cannons etc.

I used to deal in woods but recently we got spawning regular woods in large numbers all over the map, with port AI prices you can hardly beat as producer, so that became pointless. That is also why I think nobody needs to set up a plantation any more, with all those investments, it's cheaper to buy from spawn places or from admiralty for doubloons. r.i.p. wood business.

Well I do. I used to do the odd trade with @Macjimm but seeing the game becoming increasingly elitist and less and less skill-based I moved on.

The game, in its current state, could basically be replaced by a WoWS system and ppl would have to wait less to get more.

1 hour ago, Koveras said:

Well I do. I used to do the odd trade with @Macjimm but seeing the game becoming increasingly elitist and less and less skill-based I moved on.

The game, in its current state, could basically be replaced by a WoWS system and ppl would have to wait less to get more.

I salute Macjimm if he does this kind of trans-faction deals on PvP server, with all the crazy risk there. I was merely hinting at not having seen him advertise on PvE server, this is where I reside, so I suppose we are talking about different servers again.