Game-Labs Forum

ah shit, I confused Normal maps with UV's, again. Sometimes when I dig through files I find that some dev's tend to call Normal maps in the files as UV's. I don't know why are they doing this, but they do and they infected me with this. That's why I was asking why do you need UV's (normal's) for it, my bad.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, arekP64 said:

ah shit, I confused Normal maps with UV's, again. Sometimes when I dig through files I find that some dev's tend to call Normal maps in the files as UV's. I don't know why are they doing this, but they do and they infected me with this. That's why I was asking why do you need UV's (normal's) for it, my bad.

How odd, not sure why those devs would call uv's normal maps since normals pretend to show high details using clever lighting tricks and uv's are too do with seams and telling the pc where to stop when it comes to applying textures.

Strange devs too be honest, i don't find that a good practice really.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:04 PM, Cptbarney said:

Sorry lads been busy and had a lot of overtime to do this week and the last.

Regardless here some images of ORP warsaw who i managed to do some more stuff on over the weekend.

1605038560-orp-warsaw-advanced-2.jpg1605038595-orp-warsaw-advanced-4.jpg1605038598-orp-warsaw-advanced-3.jpg1605038646-orp-warsaw-advanced-5.jpg1605038561-orp-warsaw-advanced.jpg

Enjoy! 'w'/

Hey Barnehey! Nice work dude - is this done in Blender I assume? Looks certainly great, especially the small details on the bridge and stuff!

Do you use uploaded images to get the dimensions right or are you modelling completely free-style?

What do you use as stating point for the hulls? Simple cube?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Hey Barnehey! Nice work dude - is this done in Blender I assume? Looks certainly great, especially the small details on the bridge and stuff!

Do you use uploaded images to get the dimensions right or are you modelling completely free-style?

What do you use as stating point for the hulls? Simple cube?

Thonks! Ye i use blender 2.9 atm, for this ship i actually look at some 3d models on sketchfab and work from there and maybe a few images, but i never put them inside the programme itself (probs should, but eh).

Yeah, i always use a cube as it the easiest for me to get the dimensions right, and other shapes are too fiddly, pretty much every part on her is some form of a primitive anyways, mainly cubes and cylinders, with a few torus's and also curves as well.

This is entirely a made up design however, but i like it anyways.

Might at some point try an existing design, although there a few designs i want to get made (like texas style ship, california, yorkie, moar cruisers and some german style ships.).

But yeah thanks for the compliments 'w'/

• Like 1

I was unable to get a lot of modelling done today (got distracted alot). Either way i found some images of ORP jadwiga with her finished textures in substance, i also just got paid so i should be able to fling her on to sketchfab and you can then take a full look at her 3d model.

1605470168-orp-jadwiga-substance-render-

1605470169-orp-jadwiga-substance-render-

1605470169-orp-jadwiga-substance-render-

Enjoy!

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Hey Barney - I started skribbling a little on my own. It's probably not particular good but it's pretty fun and I may see where this will take me. Here is a super-dreadnought Hull I started doing:

Hull.thumb.JPG.7815e385ff6f05cb03c7f9fbb57f2647.JPG

Looks noice, you will get the hang of it. It can be a bit tedious since you need to do all the little details unless you want to skip most of them, and make sure to watch your poly count as well ORP jadwiga came out a whopping 750k polys lol.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Looks noice, you will get the hang of it. It can be a bit tedious since you need to do all the little details unless you want to skip most of them, and make sure to watch your poly count as well ORP jadwiga came out a whopping 750k polys lol.

Where can I find the poly count?

Soz for the lack of posting have been busy with other projects, ill be posting a new hull and some additions to ORP warsaw later on today and more tommorrow, managed to get three models uploaded this week (ORP jadwiga included), and working on at least 8 different models with another 4-6 waiting to be textured and/or uv mapped.

• Like 2

Well, i did another comparison. Ended up only doing little bits for warsaw as i ended up doing more of other projects ill set some time tommorrow and sunday to do more modelling for warsaw and see if i can get her uploaded as well.

Oh and the new ship hull.

1605902436-jadgwiga-warsaw-comparison.jp1605902449-jadgwiga-warsaw-comparison-2.

1605902418-warsaw-close-up.jpg

1605902455-new-ship-1.jpg

enjoy ladz. 'w'

• Like 2

Just have to say something. Sorry for appearing with criticism, but, please, pay some attention to hull form. Below deck level your models appear like some crude wedges, that's not nice... They were rather thick there.

Maybe pictures like this will help, potentially you can even load one in your editor and use it as a base for modelling

1945290856_.png.d9072b7e3c4087e2acacf2e97bdf2ad2.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/2WNNrZFu1Lkv89eQXxS28OPknKBOx4r0yshdOzipJz6QrTUbYRD55oWIRcmNI7WuNmlutVLKb6_yIAw9D1UGt_UgtZZ4

(this one is russian predread "Андрей Первозванный"

also something very typical for all ships of this age, all superstructure and even guns are noticeably shifted forward. idk why, maybe those reciprocating engines are just this heavy, but gives them that characteristic look

Edited by Cpt.Hissy

Hey ladz, i'm very close to finish modelling ORP Warszawa in-general, afterwards ill uv map her relevant parts and then texture and put her on sketchfab, in the meantime here is some more images of her and i think i have found one of the more perfect lighting solutions which is great.

Enjoy!

1605966137-orp-warsaw-close-to-finish.jp

1605966146-orp-warsaw-close-to-finish-4.

1605966137-orp-warsaw-close-to-finish-2.

1605966147-orp-warsaw-close-to-finish-3.

1605966171-orp-warsaw-close-to-finish-5.1605966156-orp-warsaw-close-to-finish-6.

• Like 4

I've got a few extra bits to add to the hull, like some ladders to the sides of the hull to where the casemates are and also ladders to the turrets and poles too. Plus other thing like additional piping, anchors and a few more life rings plus some boxes and barrels (ill re-do the models so they are a proper barrel then uv map that so when i copy it i don't have to do each one).

But yeah she will be the second ship, then ill go back and see what other ships need doing and their completion rates as well and then do them up and fix whatever need fixing.

• Like 2

Ok, she almost done. I need to a few more ladders at the front, some piping around the SS and also a few other little boxes and barrels maybe two or four more rigging poles little bits on those poles and also finally some guns at the front and rear.

Not sure to do a platform at the back like jadwiga.

enjoy!

1606223673-orp-warsazwa-near-finish.jpg

1606223825-orp-warsazwa-near-finish-2.jp

• Like 3