Game-Labs Forum

A treatise on Naval Action: a complete guide - Mr. Doran

Mr. Doran

Fantastic work! 

I'm hesitant to ask but isn't the leeward belligerent in figure 1-3 incorrect? Atleast in part.

He flips, which is correct, but he doesn't close separation.

Perhaps the figure should show the windward belligerent turning into the wind somewhat, as a response to the leeward belligerent trying to close separation (as in figures 1-2 and 1-4).

Or would that be a wrong move by the windward ship?

I'll add my 2 cents to this guide. In big pvp battles, theres actually 2 situations in which you'd rather be at a leeward position in my opinion.

1) Your team greatly overwhelm the opponents (3 for 1 ratio for instance) : In this event, the opponent is most likely to run away from you. Forcing them to run into the wind means you wont lose as much seperation by turning to take broadside at them while chasing. Basically, being leeward blocks their easy runaway route.

2) Your team is greatly overwhelmed by the opponents (1 for 3 ratio for instance) : In this event, defeat is quite likely (beside for some exceptional teamwork on your behalf and poor teamplay from your opponents). Retreat is more likely the correct option in that case. Being at the leeward position allows your team to easily run away from your opponent, which would not be possible if you had been in the windward position.

As a recap, there's actually only one situation in which you would really want to be a windward position for the energetic advantage it confers you :

3) Your team is well matched by your opponents (2 for 1 ratio at most) : In this event, both sides have a decent shot at winning the battle with proper local superior firepower. Thus, keeping wind advantage for your team at all cost is vital, given the fact it allows you to increase your damage by doing the good old 2 for 1 broadside.

Fair seas capt'ns

Fantastic work! 

I'm hesitant to ask but isn't the leeward belligerent in figure 1-3 incorrect? Atleast in part.

He flips, which is correct, but he doesn't close separation.

Perhaps the figure should show the windward belligerent turning into the wind somewhat, as a response to the leeward belligerent trying to close separation (as in figures 1-2 and 1-4).

Or would that be a wrong move by the windward ship?

1) In 1-3 the leeward belligerent is forced to flip or be at an extreme damage deficit; he can not flip and close separation on a pass like this therefore he has done the most correct move possible in a pass situation. 

2) The windward belligerent is always forced to make a windward turn in a close separation pass scenario or he is going to get 2:1'd by the leeward belligerent and conversely the leeward belligerent is always forced to make a leeward turn or he is going to get 2:1'd by the windward belligerent. If you are asking if he should try to pull separation to force the leeward player into a farther separation pass then yes he almost always should but the assumption of a close separation pass is the leeward belligerent has enough energy to force the maneuver and therefore in a pass scenario where both belligerents are looking to trade damage this situation is inevitable. 

New manual series coming soon. Please quit asking me questions about this garbage outdated by over a year. 

Thank you for writing this.  Knowing what to do before it need be done is the difference between keeping one's ship and losing one's ship. I can site War Thunder aerial combat as an example,knowing when and where to break as an enemy makes a pass at you and equally important how to recognize his mistake or even finer a point,lead him into a mistake while avoiding making your own is key to being in the upper echelon of ranked gamers. There are few things more satisfying than leading a top tier opponent into a mistake so subtle he never saw it coming. I've been at aerial combat games since CFS 1 and tank combat since WOT and WT but Naval Action is a first and while I've grasped manual sail and avoiding basic mistakes,a guide based on actual and established tactics is welcomed. Again,thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Ye, the OP link seems off, so until Doran takes the helm you can at least find the old one here.

The guide was up to date a long time ago, the meta changed but might have changed back again, somewhat. 

many many many many thanks

best thing about it, no matter the meta, is the energy/wind control.

• Like 1

Just now, George Washington said:

There is more advertisement on that download page than people on Planet Earth, can you use something normal to upload files? 

Forget about OP link for the time being, see the link in my last post, just three posts up. That work?

• Like 1

Yeaaah.

This is extremely well-written and useful for captains that are already well versed in such things. Personally I'm having a great deal of trouble with it. The diagrams are, to me, fairly obtuse and the language used (which I'm sure is proper and correct) compounds the issue. "Always flip starboard to larboard leeward" is an example of something that makes zero sense to me regardless of how much I read the key terms.

Is there a comparable video or layman's version? Something to get my feet wet with?

44 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

Yeaaah.

This is extremely well-written and useful for captains that are already well versed in such things. Personally I'm having a great deal of trouble with it. The diagrams are, to me, fairly obtuse and the language used (which I'm sure is proper and correct) compounds the issue. "Always flip starboard to larboard leeward" is an example of something that makes zero sense to me regardless of how much I read the key terms.

Is there a comparable video or layman's version? Something to get my feet wet with?

It's clear, that Windward menas you are Closer to the wind (on top/right or left) and your opponent is on the bottom (right/left facing wind). 

"Always flip starboard to larboard leeward" - First of all where is starboard and where is larboard? Oh , so now we flip from starboard to larboard with the wind loosing weather(leeward) gage or into the wind maintaining weather gage(windward). 

ekJscCe.jpg

Edited by George Washington

11 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

"Always flip starboard to larboard leeward"

There is no layman's version, but i can help you with the above.

98f588366896b451c471595695a5b9bf.png

If you're downwind (leeward) of your opponent try to turn towards him to close the distance (starboard) then turn the opposite way (flip to larboard) to turn inside him. Notice that the "black" ship gets off a broadside at #3 and #5, while the "white" ship only gets off his starboard broadside.

Don't feel bad, some of these took me a while too. And some of them I didn't get until Doran spoonfed me while we were dueling. I was always the slow, special Raker.

7 minutes ago, jodgi said:

There is no layman's version, but i can help you with the above.

98f588366896b451c471595695a5b9bf.png

If you're downwind (leeward) of your opponent try to turn towards him to close the distance (starboard) then turn the opposite way (flip to larboard) to turn inside him. Notice that the "black" ship gets off a broadside at #3 and #5, while the "white" ship only gets off his starboard broadside.

Don't feel bad, some of these took me a while too. And some of them I didn't get until Doran spoonfed me while we were dueling. I was always the slow, special Raker.

It's very difficult to see at what points shots are fired. I mean I can see it clearly, but many can't. This picture is not good for new guys. I will try to remake it. 

Well I'm almost in a frigate so I'd be happy to be a pawn in a video demonstration if this is being actively worked on :P I think a video, with pauses for commentary and notation, would be extremely valuable to newer players like me.

Hell, even a video of someone moving ship-shaped pieces of paper on a table with commentary would be useful as a visualization of these tactics.

Edited by TheHaney
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

Well I'm almost in a frigate so I'd be happy to be a pawn in a video demonstration if this is being actively worked on :P I think a video, with pauses for commentary and notation, would be extremely valuable to newer players like me.

Always try to be with wind behind you or try to get there. 

Always try to destroy enemy stern and cut sails to at least 80%. 

With wind behind your back you can have 3 broadsides to his 1 in most cases and very easy access to his stern and sails. Enemy will try to steal wind and that is where you have to know the rest of tactics. 

• Like 1