Game-Labs Forum

Additional ship classes?

Rak1445

Hello Admirals and Developers!

I approach you today with a suggestion to implement additional ship classes into the game, which I feel are missing and would benefit the game significantly, especially when campaign rolls around. My observations are somewhat based on the Rule the Waves model, which I believe has been a significant inspiration behind the development of UA:D as well.

1) Corvettes

A general utility vessel of small displacement is missing in the game, I feel - to simplify, let's call it a Corvette. In reality, these ships were the workhorses of the navies, without which not much would get done. Although not as flashy as destroyers and other bigger vessels, they were crucial in keeping the navy ticking.

Suggested uses:
- gunboats
- aviso/dispatch vessels
- blockade runners
- minelaying and minesweeping
- anti-submarine operations
- patrol picket boats

Gunboats were an essential component of colony policing, their small displacement ideal for projecting power among the natives quickly. The term 'Gunboat diplomacy' speaks for itself! The Korietz gunboat, sunk by the Japanese at the onset of the Russo-Japanese war, is one of such vessels.

1200px-Koreets.jpg

Minelaying and minesweeping as well as anti-submarine operations are shaping to be a significant feature in the campaign, and although destroyers were capable of performing such actions, these duties were often delegated to specialized utility vessels. See the 1898 'Amur' class of minelayers for example. This would allow the players to purpose-build a specialized vessel for the task, to complement their strategy! I believe these smaller vessels are very charming, and they don't get nearly enough spotlight. Furthermore, I believe them to be necessary for the upcoming campaign!

2) Auxiliaries

In peacetime, many governments subsidised civilian passenger liner construction, which would then be built according to their specifications. In times of war, these liners would be pressed into service as auxiliary cruisers. A complement of small and medium guns could be installed with ease, while their high speed being ideal for commerce raiding. See Ural, the Russian merchant cruiser employed during the Russo-Japanese war.

%D0%92%D1%81%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%

I realize we already have armed merchantmen in the game, however I feel it's important to make a distinction between a bulky cargo ship with a gun strapped on it, and a sleek, high-speed yacht or a liner built with auxiliary service in mind.

Furthermore, I believe the Torpedo boat class should be extended into the 1940s technology. Currently I believe the Torpedo boats' technology stops around 1908 and is somewhat replaced in its use by the Destroyer, but in reality the navies of the world employed (and built) torpedo boats well into the second world war. See the U.S. PT boats, for instance.

Let me know what you think!

• Like 3

Supercruisers, as in designated as such rather than just called battlecruisers. Maybe a seperate designation for Super heavy BB's

And repair ships, Patrol ships, minehunters/sweepers, hospital ships, toineh tugs and icebreakers.

Dunno if all of these should be added but some of them would be cool for some interesting scenarios in general.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Maybe research vessels and also logistical ships, tenders and oilers again for scenario purposes.

I'm afraid with the current delays and so late in the development process, it's not very likely we'd get all those ship types (although it would be nice to see).

I however think that implementing a single new 'corvette' class would encompass many ships' roles, as outlined above, making it a worthwhile pursuit in the long run.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Shaftoe said:

Makes no sense for now. It'd be vastly better to provide more hulls and superstructures for the existing classes to enable players to recreate historical ships.

The game would only need one Auxiliary cruiser model and a couple of superstructures, from those you could build a few variations for each side. From that Dev's could monitor there usage in-game and build more models if needed. Ditto for other types.  

It makes every sense to start the game off with as many 'base models' as possible. And as many people have found out recently, with R&D or more to the point, R&(Game)D, time isn't relevant! (within reasonable budgets). 

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 3

I think more content for all ships is inevitable anyhow, down the line (probably just before release, as the mechanics take precedence at this point). I don't think wanting more hulls and superstructures at this point at the expense of improving core game mechanics is a good idea, in my opinion (that being said, the more hulls and superstructures, the better).

Adding corvettes, however, would bring some fresh air to the entire gameplay loop, allowing for more strategy options, and make for a more realistic experience.

Those ships did exist, and indeed, were indispensable - the game would be an incomplete experience without them. I wonder how the devs plan to tackle mining and anti-submarine operations without them, to be honest.

Gameplay wise, at least in the early access stage, the corvettes could even simply recycle Destroyer hulls and superstructures, but without the requirement for included torpedo launchers, and with buffs for mine and submarine warfare. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hangar18 said:

They are in game, and correctly labeled large cruisers

Nah, thats a political term, supercruiser is more of a correct term as they are technically super-heavy cruisers. Also they are still designated as BC's in-battle which is also incorrect.

8 hours ago, Rak1445 said:

I don't think wanting more hulls and superstructures at this point at the expense of improving core game mechanics is a good idea, in my opinion

Well there’s always going to be dedicated modelers, they will be working on something, of what they are working on we may influence. IMO peeps should be putting up as many of there idea's as possible.