Game-Labs Forum

Sink the raiders remains unplayably difficult

Hardlec

Try to raise thickness of your armor like 10-15 inch belt armor with 100%+ Armor quality, with optimize survivability. I think in my case, most of my initial mistakes were trying to get battleship which is too fast for most of WWI and prior ships. You want to melee with old battleship not long range as gun in this period is not very accurate. Try to get like 20-25 kt speed for this mission.

Edited by draconins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Knuddel said:

Rofl u can kill them

By: Staying upwind, Shielding the Fokus targets, Dissengadge if heavy damadged, Repair and go for it again. 

Its just AI we are talking about. Upwind downwind: Full sails... 

?????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Knuddel said:

Rofl u can kill them

By: Staying upwind, Shielding the Fokus targets, Dissengadge if heavy damadged, Repair and go for it again. 

Its just AI we are talking about. Upwind downwind: Full sails... 

You've obviously never played this game or scenario.  Your comment is inappropriate and uncalled for.

13 minutes ago, Hardlec said:

You've obviously never played this game or scenario.  Your comment is inappropriate and uncalled for.

Seems like he just randomly posted and left, judging by his comment it seems to be either age of sail or naval action, both games i have no clue about. But i assume thats what hes referring too.

Still it would be nice if people would check that way we don't get random messages that clog stuff up.

17 hours ago, draconins said:

Try to raise thickness of your armor like 10-15 inch belt armor with 100%+ Armor quality, with optimize survivability. I think in my case, most of my initial mistakes were trying to get battleship which is too fast for most of WWI and prior ships. You want to melee with old battleship not long range as gun in this period is not very accurate. Try to get like 20-25 kt speed for this mission.

It is irrelevant.
If I have well protected combat ships, my psychic opponent is able to attack the transports before I even see his smoke.

The first scenario I played,  AI sank my cruiser on the first volley before I even saw an enemy.

Second scenario:  The AI blew my cruisers to splinters before I even saw an enemy.

Third scenario:  The AI pounded my battleships, 18 knots, 12 inch armor (Krupp II, best type) armed with 11 inch Mk. 3 guns,  to splinters with 8 inch guns before my guns would fire.  The AI controls when my ships fire, and won't open fire until I get the pongies pounded out of me.
I really don't see how anyone has fun with this scenario.  

I am a plank-holder in this game.  I've played since update 1.  I had a goal to win all the "training exercises."   I don't try this very much.

MOST OF YOUR TRAINING SCENARIOS ARE UNPLAYABLY DIFFICULT. 

The only useful advice I've been given so far is "Don't play them." 

When the strategic level game comes out, will the AI win by only creating battles where it stomps the Human?  so far I see this as the case. 

LET THE PLAYER SET THE DIFFICULTY LEVEL.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:19 AM, Hardlec said:

It is irrelevant.
If I have well protected combat ships, my psychic opponent is able to attack the transports before I even see his smoke.

The first scenario I played,  AI sank my cruiser on the first volley before I even saw an enemy.

Second scenario:  The AI blew my cruisers to splinters before I even saw an enemy.

Third scenario:  The AI pounded my battleships, 18 knots, 12 inch armor (Krupp II, best type) armed with 11 inch Mk. 3 guns,  to splinters with 8 inch guns before my guns would fire.  The AI controls when my ships fire, and won't open fire until I get the pongies pounded out of me.
I really don't see how anyone has fun with this scenario. 

This is why I suggested very thick armor. They will always land one or two shot before you can land anything. If you have thick enough armors you can just mostly shrug them off and just mostly doing close combat (around 5 kms, do beware of 2 CA torps). I attached my build here, see the armor on the right. I have krupp IV instead of your Krupp II because I chose bonus "optimize survivability". As you can see my armor thickness is 10-15inch belt with +108%quality, this bring it approximately to effective 20.8- 31.2 inch belt

SinkTheRaiderBB.thumb.png.e7fe3a1257f700e9f9d896b7580b1f2c.png

On transport attacking enemies, I tried with my usual design (battleship with surface visibility 7395m) multiple times today , while I can see many lucky hit on long range on my ship, it always focus fire on me.  The armored cruiser hull can be used here and I tried a few automatic designs. While I never win with those cruisers, the 3 CAs always focus fire on my ship(s) once they detects me. I had like 5 semi armored cruisers with visibility 3850m, and they still focus fire on my closest ship.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:19 AM, Hardlec said:

I am a plank-holder in this game.  I've played since update 1.  I had a goal to win all the "training exercises."   I don't try this very much.

MOST OF YOUR TRAINING SCENARIOS ARE UNPLAYABLY DIFFICULT. 

The only useful advice I've been given so far is "Don't play them." 

When the strategic level game comes out, will the AI win by only creating battles where it stomps the Human?  so far I see this as the case. 

LET THE PLAYER SET THE DIFFICULTY LEVEL.

I only played since alpha 74, while I do agree that some missions are very difficult, it does not mean you can't complete it, I currently completed 45 from 47 of training, most mission I have difficulties with are the one with controlling many destroyers, mainly due to control bugs. Some mission I had difficulties with tight time limit, but many are doable, though alpha v75 seems to relax some of the timing for those ( I completed many on Alpha 74, so those were too late).

The mission I had not completed are the last two missions and both of them are the one with massive control bugs potential with so many destroyers to control, and if bugs happen, that can ruin hours of gameplay. I had a few of those in "Torpedo Banzai", but I finally completed it few days ago, and the last two missions still on my to do.

I do think most of these missions are not exactly training, they are difficult enough for its own gameplay and require significant understanding of mechanics for many of the missions. Some bonus is questionable for some mission, some hull in some mission I simply can't see how anyone can win with those. Nonetheless I think sink the raiders is the one where you can learn how useful armor is.

Is this the mission with 3 enemy CAs and you have to defend 2 TRs?

For me the biggest issue with this mission was that more often than not the enemy would start in visual and firing range of the transports and would sink one in less than 2 minutes with me having no chance what-so-ever to prevent it.

Only when the enemy is starting out of range of my transports does the mission become even theoretically possible. I did manage to win the mission with two Armoured Cruisers IV eventually, with most of my losses being due to the aforementioned enemy spawning practically on top of your transports.

Edited by Norbert Sattler

Yes it is that mission. However that is interesting, I never have the enemy ca actually targeting transport directly if actually I am in range of their gun. My early move is always moving toward the enemy CA (north) and they would almost focus fire at me once they can see me.

I played this mission at least a dozen times today until I won it and everytime they saw the transports they shot at them right away.

If my combat ships were between the transports and the enemy (which wasn't always the case, sometimes the transports started closer to the enemy and already in range), they would eventually start shooting at my combat ships, but not exclusively. They would switch back and force every now and then.... that is if the both transports managed to survive in the first place.

Edited by Norbert Sattler

I tried testing these in the scenario and just restart battle once I know who is the focus fire target, I think I now know the situation but that is only replicated three times in my case over like 50 ish restart (though I did not complete the mission) however that needs me to purposely build a smaller ship and restart until making sure battle started in behind transport , and even then it did not happen all the time.

However it is basically replicated, screen shot below with 2 different situation, all CLs, in different occasion. Yes this situation is problematic as basically rule out the CL use in this situation.

986407471_Transportfiredfirstreplicated.thumb.jpg.33df3f1c787b7d3c45af1dedeef43d8c.jpg1580165374_Transportfiredfirstreplicated2.thumb.jpg.7a0a81eeaecf7ee1a75d5bee05fc5527.jpg

If I use BB, this never happen. Attached is screenshot illustrating situation which is common to me , they focus fire to me, even behind transport. Alternative to that is basically restart battle if you find situation unfavorable.

762745779_SinkTheRaiderFocusfire.thumb.jpg.8257be280096fad888d03793d4d39a30.jpg

Edited by draconins

I think I managed to win this mission when it weas introduced, by delaying the enemy for long enough so they couldn't catch up with my transports before timer runs out. Let me check my videos which one it is...

EDIT: There it is xD

Edited by Latur Husky

902709436_UltimateAdmiralDreadnoughts04_08.202021_32_35.thumb.png.c8ded54785572b4c8079bf63f6e89f66.png

This does the trick with ease, if you don't catch a torpedo. Torpedo hurts...
12" and 9" are "main guns".
In my case biggest guns on enemy were 9" (and LOTS of them, damned gunbarges) and thickest armour around 8"

Surprisingly, this is a realistic semi-dreadnought and this concept really works well oO

They focus on transports when you have cruisers because they don't see you, apparently. But you probably not gonna win this with anything but a battleship anyway, and same goes for many other missions with multiple ship class choices. As if devs try to teach you the hard way how one ship class counters other and is countered by third.