Game-Labs Forum

how is this beatable?!? prove your might

Elite06

• 3 months later...

The real question here is how many players are there who never quit verses how many players who rage quit, even rage quit the game. Plus a few players who decide academy missions are a farce and then diminish the rest of those missions altogether. That is what Dev's should be weighing up. 

It's a pity easy mode couldn't work, I wonder if Dev's have missed judged how important easy mode was.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Couldn't beat it still. Definitely something very strange is going on
Enemy has 8 of (slower firing) 17"mk2 guns and 2.5% chance to hit. I have 12 of (faster firing) 14"mk3 guns and 2.1% chance to hit
they score 100 hits, i score none.
I could understand even if they had twice the hits over mine, i'm not lucky. But.. basically infinity times more hits with what ought to do slightly less or evenly?

also, "Bismarck" is now consistently not "Bismarck" but "Deutschland" on steroids, always 2x 4-gun mains and variety of secondaries.

Edited by Cpt.Hissy

Finished this mission back in Alpha-6 on (I think) my first or second try - I don't recall the exact ship configuration but I think I did basically the opposite of what you all did. My BC was lightly armoured but 38kt, ish, with 16" or 17" heavy guns. I banzai charged with the two light cruisers and the entire strategy depended on getting torpedoes off before dying, which they did, and a good dose of luck. The torpedoes took out the engines of the BB and a CA, and I was then able to kite at extreme range while using the convoy (and one surprisingly alive CL) to pull aggro whenever I got too close, all the while keeping 36kt+ and hitting the BB with plunging fire until it died.

The friendly battleship was, ofc, completely useless.

I wonder if the changes to the torpedo meta have made this strategy unviable but I might fire it up and test things out.

light cruisers? these are destroyers.
often they were generated with no torpedoes or single smallest tube, and all the guns.

I too try to build balanced-ish ship here and everywhere else, never made anything with kilometers of armour or 50 knot speeds yet.

In aforementioned try i managed to close in and kill one of their cruisers, with my ship being able to hit something at all only when chances go above 10% (and suddenly it hits for about 10% of shots or so). Enemies start landing hits at ~1% chance and steadily increase hitrates as their chance grows, overall hitting somewhat more often than their chance suggests.

While i fought that one cruiser, the rest of enemy fleet ran away to invisibility, and all my ships lost their speed due to damage and had zero chances to catch up with them.
Convoy, as usually, sailed away unscratched, and logically mission "to defend a convoy" was successful, but by game mechanics it's a failure as you need to kill all enemies.

6 minutes ago, Cpt.Hissy said:

but by game mechanics it's a failure as you need to kill all enemies.

You do not need to kill all enemies. All win conditions are connected with OR state, so you can protect convoy for the given time and it should be a success. The interface is WIP.

5 minutes ago, Cpt.Hissy said:

light cruisers? these are destroyers.
often they were generated with no torpedoes or single smallest tube, and all the guns.

Ah, then it has changed since my version because (iirc) they used to be two older casemated light cruisers. They nearly always had at least bow/stern or one side tube, usually two.

8 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

You do not need to kill all enemies. All win conditions are connected with OR state, so you can protect convoy for the given time and it should be a success. The interface is WIP.

Oh. I need to test this.
I believe i did lost it before due to timeout, while everything was still alive (couldn't see enemies, they plonked shells from max range and couldn't hit anything, and that lasted for all 6 hours), but it might change since then.
But if so, maybe you could post it somewhere people can easily see, or literally just add that "or" into UI?

Edited by Cpt.Hissy

It took a while, but I beat it by building a pretty generic BC with a TON of speed, stupidly thick armor (wanna say it was 15.5" on the belt) and only 4x2 12" guns and just concentrated on staying away from the BB and annhilating the heavy cruisers.  Other than that, I kept resetting the game until i got non-crap DDs and a BB that wasnt designed by a toddler with finger paint.  Just hack away at the heavy cruisers, set the DDs to screen the BC, and wait for the BB to arrive.  Send in the DDs to distract the BB and hammer it to scrap.

On 4/7/2021 at 9:26 PM, Antonio Accardo said:

stupidly thick armor (wanna say it was 15.5" on the belt).

You call that stupidly thick? ALL my BCs and BBs come equipped with at least 40cm (15.5 inches) of belt armor.

Edited by Stormnet

• 2 weeks later...

I completed this mission on like, my 5-7th try, I see no issue.

On 8/20/2020 at 1:59 PM, draconins said:

I was playing in Alpha 75  (basically current version at time of writing), and I just checked again.

Just to make sure, are you using "Balanced tech" , with:

• cheap towers (modern tower I and rear tower VII),
  • two of tall funnel II with balanced boiler
  • No acoustics or radio
  • Basic hydraulic turret

For your benefit I screenshot the other part, try to compare the weight and cost on right side to quickly find where you overshoot.

128598409_ProveyourmightDesignpart2.thumb.png.c4b355ed45840177b281941ecb72ba12.png

Also this design is very optimized to weight and cost limit, so if there is balancing in future there might be need some adjustment however the concept should work well if gameplay still similar. For example, radar honestly does not really matter much

Thats aboslutely horrible, what the hell is this?

Issues in the numbers beyond my comprehension but in fact the key to this mission: Radar honestly, because without it in the balanced tech youre always gonna be outspotted and outgunned before you even see them - effectively making whatever you built useless.

Annoying, but you actually wanna go with Main Guns and fire control, and choose a slightly lighter caliber, 15" will do enough. Get good towers - accuracy is really important.

Once youre in, get in, start sniping, focus the bb, approach cautiously, use DD's to divert attention of CAs, and youll be gucci. You *can* also go at him head on, but like, why? youll only get your ass killed.

The biggest luck element in this scenario is positioning the enemy BB's bulkheads. Positioning means if you are able to instafire on him or not from the start, its good if you are, because then youll also probably be out of his spotting range, and knowing the AI, hell be woefully inaccurate.

Also speed. You need like a lot. My design is 32.5, which should be around enough, the enemy BB will be unusually speedy too.

image.thumb.png.3b51e0126aa82941512711eec00025ef.png

Keep calm, and follow this design. Engine efficiency is 100%, mass and stability optimised to the max. Youll be solo, so radio is useless here (and youre really mass strapped)

Edited by HEEL_caT666

16 minutes ago, HEEL_caT666 said:

I completed this mission on like, my 5-7th try, I see no issue.

Thats aboslutely horrible, what the hell is this?

Issues in the numbers beyond my comprehension but in fact the key to this mission: Radar honestly, because without it in the balanced tech youre always gonna be outspotted and outgunned before you even see them - effectively making whatever you built useless.

Annoying, but you actually wanna go with Main Guns and fire control, and choose a slightly lighter caliber, 15" will do enough. Get good towers - accuracy is really important.

Once youre in, get in, start sniping, focus the bb, approach cautiously, use DD's to divert attention of CAs, and youll be gucci. You *can* also go at him head on, but like, why? youll only get your ass killed.

The biggest luck element in this scenario is positioning the enemy BB's bulkheads. Positioning means if you are able to instafire on him or not from the start, its good if you are, because then youll also probably be out of his spotting range, and knowing the AI, hell be woefully inaccurate.

Also speed. You need like a lot. My design is 32.5, which should be around enough, the enemy BB will be unusually speedy too.

image.thumb.png.3b51e0126aa82941512711eec00025ef.png

Keep calm, and follow this design. Engine efficiency is 100%, mass and stability optimised to the max. Youll be solo, so radio is useless here (and youre really mass strapped)

That design looks just like HMS Hood.

Edited by Stormnet

4 minutes ago, HEEL_caT666 said:

Indeed, usually taking inspiration from already functional and existing ships goes a long way.

Ironic how that design was able to beat this monster BB, when we all know what happened the real version when it fought that monster BB...

A new adjective/verb was formed.

(sorry, inner wehraboo had to kick in)

Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stormnet said:

Ironic how that design was able to beat this monster BB, when we all know what happened the real version when it fought that monster BB...

Pure luck i say!

50 minutes ago, HEEL_caT666 said:

Indeed, usually taking inspiration from already functional and existing ships goes a long way.

or simply because it is made out of Hood parts and you can't make it being a normal ship and not looking like Hood?

50 minutes ago, Stormnet said:

A new adjective/verb was formed.

(sorry, inner wehraboo had to kick in)

Except this mission is completely a-historical as it was the German's who were outnumbered. Also the evidence now seems to suggest Hood was just pure unlucky. 

59 minutes ago, HEEL_caT666 said:

That might work in this tightly defined scenario, but the game overall does not favor real designs. But that's another subject entirely.

Edited by madham82
typo