Game-Labs Forum

Periodic Resets

Periodic Resets  

77 members have voted

1. 1. If you would like to see periodic resets, how frequent would you make them?

• Yes, Every Year
    • Yes, Every 6 months
    • Yes, Every 3 months
    • No, I like people hoarding tons of the best stuff and the RvR slowly getting stale after a nation has already effectively won the map

As I said, you don't need a reset to encourage people to join different nations from the zergs. You need proper mechanics, which we don't have currently.

Also, do you want content? Leave France. Lol. Join a proper nation and you'll have fun without need of a reset ;) 

No more wipe.

No map wipe, for not having to spend evening after evening chasing HDF for flags.

No XP wipe. Useless grinding

No ship wipe. 

No building wipe. Useless grinding again.

No port wipe, especially those who were developed, by long efforts...

A total wipe with present mechanics would mean neutral map for several weeks (the time for people will grind XP enough for sailing first rates to go for flags).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Frosty said:

As I said, you don't need a reset to encourage people to join different nations from the zergs. You need proper mechanics, which we don't have currently.

Also, do you want content? Leave France. Lol. Join a proper nation and you'll have fun without need of a reset ;) 

What "proper" nations are in the game other than Russia and Sweden, don't say GB that is just a noob swarm of drama lmao.

The reason I propose the periodic resets is that I see it as the best way to regularly have a chance for clans to rebalance the game. I see no foreseeable way in the current map state to dethrone Russia, they have won the map fair and square, however having this state be prolonged in the game is just stagnating the game massively. To go back to the point on Prussia, when I was in prussia we had some limited wars against segments of GB and against Spain which were enjoyable because at the time Russia could find their content elsewhere without just involving themselves in any war on the server

2 minutes ago, Aquillas said:

No more wipe.

No map wipe, for not having to spend evening after evening chasing HDF for flags.

No XP wipe. Useless grinding

No ship wipe. 

No building wipe. Useless grinding again.

No port wipe, especially those who were developed, by long efforts...

A total wipe with present mechanics would mean neutral map for several weeks (the time for people will grind XP enough for sailing first rates to go for flags).

It just seems to be that people have become blinded by their short term loss they are unable to see long term content gains of having more than 2 nations be considered "Proper" nations. The current state of the game makes it near impossible for someone to leave a zerg EVEN IF they wanted to and the only rebuttle I have seen is "proper mechanics" which is some vague term with no meaning behind it, even if you guys could add a little detail to your idea that didn't include some admin intervention one off stuff.

What are proper nations? I don't know. But not Prussia or France for sure. I can tell you though that I'm having so much fun in Denmark ;) 

NA has always been like that, some nations much alive and some nations that are irrelevant, and when big clans switch those nations become relevant again and overthrow others (like when HAVOC and CABAL joined Sweden, or when KRAKE joined Prussia, or when BSTD joined Denmark). 

Fair winds

9 minutes ago, Frosty said:

What are proper nations? I don't know. But not Prussia or France for sure. I can tell you though that I'm having so much fun in Denmark ;) 

NA has always been like that, some nations much alive and some nations that are irrelevant, and when big clans switch those nations become relevant again and overthrow others (like when HAVOC and CABAL joined Sweden, or when KRAKE joined Prussia, or when BSTD joined Denmark). 

Fair winds

Thanks for the lack of specification of proper nations, considering France and Danes have similar active numbers I must also consider by your previous sentiments that Denmark is also not a "proper nation".

Yeah clans can swap but the ones who would make an impact by swapping, BF, SHOCK, REDS are kind of trapped by their own success in Russia now and can not swap naitons despite some of the clan leaders/officers in those clans expressing the desire to on multiple occasions in the past. Other clans such as WTF, SLRN, ANCRE, PURG3 and probably some US clans (my knowledge there is vague at best) are for all intents and purposes stuck with their nations even if they wanted to swap due to how much they have committed to that nation, if you read my post in full you will see that a lot of the major grinding should be reworked in order to make periodic resets work.

I don't see what is wrong with saying "Russia has won" and then proceeding to revert the map and giving all clans and players a good chance to swap nations. Having the game still carry on after someone has already "won" is like playing a total war game after you have conquered 75% of the map, yeah sure there are still battles and stuff to do but it all feels meaningless

Edited by Prince of Wales

46 minutes ago, Frosty said:

What are proper nations? I don't know. But not Prussia or France for sure.

Hey @Frosty,

I have enough friends playing French to know that they have fun there.

I personally play Prussian from times to times... It's fun.

I like 3 months seasons. I think it will be good for the game. Some things cant be lost, some things get lost but give perk points or new ships. Something in the way of Path of Exile.

But community wont accept it probably - so maybe in the next game

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, admin said:

I like 3 months seasons. I think it will be good for the game. Some things cant be lost, some things get lost but give perk points or new ships. Something in the way of Path of Exile.

But community wont accept it probably - so maybe in the next game

Yeah that can work, just nothing too big so that those who miss out the seasons aren't at a HUGE disadvantage.

I think you are right about the community atm not being ready for an idea like this, and the first reset would be the worst for players but after that I think people would enjoy it more. I think the best way to keep people interest too is to use the Port Bonus's as a way to make ports interesting by having it preset to certain values for different ports, so that port bonus's are still in the game and are useful and are a way to compliment RvR rather than having it be a grind. Some example of predesignated Port Bonus's I came up with:

d0ed28e95418bbeb5a0396f7412f5b29.png

Obviously these aren't majorly balanced but can be seen as a general example that if you want a speedy boarding ship, you will want a nassau crafted ship or if you want a tanky PB style ship perhaps Brangmans might be your option or some more well rounded ships from Les Cayes. It would help give every capital port on the map a purpose, especially those that don't drop special goods at the moment. Generally too it would be best to place the "better" port bonus's on ports further from capitals to help push nations to expand, this is where I think the south of the Caribbean can be revitalised beyond just Cartagena being the only decent port down there

Edited by Prince of Wales

Absolute NO ... to wiping out all my achievements  and earnings.    It has taken over a year to build myself back from complete destruction.  I'm just starting to feel comfortable and can sail a fleet of Indiamans, with partial crews.

I don't play the game as a race or competition .  I enjoy experiencing a relaxing virtual alternate world.  I see no reason to wreck everything that I've created just to appease players who are bored, and focused on winning something.  If they don't like the structure of the of the situation, they should rearrange it.  Create a clan, organize and rally other players, and change the world.   Don't ruin it for everyone else to suit your prefered style and flavor.

• Like 5

As the port became more valuable and upgradable the clans that own them got even more locked to their valuable belongings. After a wipe/reset if these clans did not quit I can guarantee your it would be the same clans/members who rise to power once again, just under a different clan tag and maybe in a different nation. And then again someone would ask for a wipe..

If the goal is to avoid a stall in RvR what you need is to the divide the victorious nation. There has been some suggestions towards this in the past. If if you go with the carrot and a stick approach then all is good. So if there was a easy way for a clan to switch nation with all owned ports, port investments and everything to another nation with out losing port investments, buildings etc. in combination with a penalty for being the victorious nations that is slowly bankrupting all clans in the nation. Then there would be no need for a wipe, clans would migrate to other nations. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It would be cool if victory conditions were implemented and defeated nation would get absorbed by the victor, and towards the end of the current campaign  it was like two giant alliance between coalitions. That would be totally sweet and better than just a periodic reset.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

It would be cool if victory conditions were implemented and defeated nation would get absorbed by the victor, and towards the end of the current campaign  it was like two giant alliance between coalitions. That would be totally sweet and better than just a periodic reset.

Yeah i'm down for whatever will keep the map fluid and not stale

Unless one of the seven players that the devs listen to make this suggestion we are  just wasting our time.   If ports and ship building wasn't such a huge investment in time and resources then some sort of war goal and map reset would be good. 

Currently with Russia owning over half the map and the other nations holding the ports which Mama Russia allows RVR and any incentive to really play NA remain dead. Player base and activity is almost back to how it was leading up to the wipe before release.

If they do ever reset the map, please return the game back to 4-5 historic nations and make pirates pirates. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 1:11 AM, Thonys said:

so tell me....... what did you invest on ports ?

you see whipping a whole account with all the grind is something different than whipping all the map

i do not think that captain will accept that.

On 8/18/2020 at 2:18 AM, Urchin said:

Unless one of the seven players that the devs listen to make this suggestion we are  just wasting our time.   If ports and ship building wasn't such a huge investment in time and resources then some sort of war goal and map reset would be good. 

Currently with Russia owning over half the map and the other nations holding the ports which Mama Russia allows RVR and any incentive to really play NA remain dead. Player base and activity is almost back to how it was leading up to the wipe before release.

If they do ever reset the map, please return the game back to 4-5 historic nations and make pirates pirates. 

Maybe with Karma system you can turn into pirates people that attack everybody,  and makes the actually Pirates Nation  into  a Corsair Nation   where the players could choose from all the flags ( you can add more for them like Portughese, malta, venice and so on ). Maybe you  can add the possibility that corsairs could join pb battles of other nation after a hire contract... we are full of alts so i dont see the problem in having  one in the corsair nation. Example GB clan XXXXX hire Corsair clan YYYYY for a port battle France ZZZZZ hire Corsair clan JJJJJ  

1 hour ago, Conte D. Catellani said:

Maybe with Karma system you can turn into pirates people that attack everybody,  and makes the actually Pirates Nation  into  a Corsair Nation   where the players could choose from all the flags ( you can add more for them like Portughese, malta, venice and so on ). Maybe you  can add the possibility that corsairs could join pb battles of other nation after a hire contract... we are full of alts so i dont see the problem in having  one in the corsair nation. Example GB clan XXXXX hire Corsair clan YYYYY for a port battle France ZZZZZ hire Corsair clan JJJJJ  

Could be a good mechanics. But: 

1) Why limiting this to pirate (Corsair) nation? Why couldn't GB hire some DK players for example? Or even French captains?

2) Same faction (even from different clans) in both sides of a battle would be soon exploited by usual cheaters. This is to be avoided.

37 minutes ago, Aquillas said:

Could be a good mechanics. But: 

1) Why limiting this to pirate (Corsair) nation? Why couldn't GB hire some DK players for example? Or even French captains?

2) Same faction (even from different clans) in both sides of a battle would be soon exploited by usual cheaters. This is to be avoided.

1) yes you are right, but I thought that this feature could be a sort of compensation for a fully reworked nation like also new and more flags from different county and empires or companies. 

2) yes, sadly alts and possibly to change name could help cheater or toxic player but... Since we are talking about ships captains, admiralty could help us with a great idea: the family tree or the line of succession of every single corsair 

I think that dev could know how many alts or the old names used by any players. Maybe they could use the AI that is working on Sea Legend missions, and voilà you have for every corsair his history with old pictures names, sons uncles and so on. Sounds funny! Obviously you have that info at high prices a genealogist were expensive 

• Like 1

Map reset is clearly not compatible with the current game design (grind, high cost of the building / port investment, etc.), but it better be part of the next game.

Importantly, the total map conquest makes no sense to me at all. IMHO, at least half of the ports (or maybe more) have to belong to the historically present powers and immune for capturing (not to raiding though), with RvR focused on conquest of the capturable ports, ownership of which should offer some advantages. With fewer ports to fight for, (i)  there will be a higher local player concentration in RvR, (ii) lost wars will be bearable and nations / clans will be able to pull out, regroup, and then continue fighting, (iii) new players will have safe base to learn the game and build up their infra. Players up for a challenge would go minor nations, but will have to rebuild after each wipe. Again, this would require significant changes in the infra investments, removal/rethinking of the port bonuses etc. Next game, I hope.