Game-Labs Forum

Patrick O’brian anyone ?

kapteinsnabeltann

1 hour ago, Lieste said:

It does have some errors and missteps.

The Surprise seems to be a conflation of both of the 1794 captures Unite and Unite (a frigate of 12 and a frigate of 8), fitted with 12lb guns, when she is clearly intended to be Hamilton's surprise - the 8 livre one, which was actually armed for service with 32lb and 18lb carronade exclusively (less the single pair of 4lb chase guns), despite the original Admiralty establishment of 9lb guns, 4lb guns and 12lb carronades (never fitted).

Various other errors, including mistaking pistol shot for yard-arm to yard-arm, when it should be the ~400 yard threshold for effective direct fires - and the relative performance and range of carronades (he states they are short ranged and barely reach a third of mile, when they have a line of metal range further than that and will happily range to more than a mile (and because of their steeper trajectory are less effected by ship motions than guns are - making ranging error and motion error a wash once both weapons are in random fire). Rather than "falling short", the carronade, with it's steep line of metal has a tendency to shoot high at intermediate ranges inside the line of metal when pointed by metal to a much stronger extent than a gun does at the same condition. This, coupled with siting high on the ship makes them inaccurate with gunners not used to their peculiarities (but long balls still pass through rigging, so not all is lost).

but you're picky :D

For me it was way better than Hornblower by CS Forester.

• Like 1

The O'Brian books are absolutely worth reading. I've read about half of them up to this point in time. I read at least one book a year from the series. I also suggest reading them in sequential order - first to last. The reader will be introduced to a lot of age of sail terminology; because of this, I would recommend purchasing, 'A Sea of Words', as a companion book while reading the series. 

This series is as much or more about the personalities of the main characters as it is naval action. If you decide to try the series, sit back, relax and get ready to experience a beautifully written age of sail voyage to the many exotic anchorages and ports around the world. 

Edited by Captiva
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, kapteinsnabeltann said:

Just finished  the first bok of twenty (?)

has someone else read the entire serie?

is it worth it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

I got a tad bored with the first book but need to give it another go. Sometimes one is just of a certain mindset that a book is wasted at the time.

I have really enjoyed the Bolithio series. 

On 7/19/2020 at 10:37 PM, kapteinsnabeltann said:

Just finished  the first bok of twenty (?)

has someone else read the entire serie?

is it worth it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

also a very good book is from the writer Nicholas Monsarrat

historical novel titled The Master Mariner. Based on the legend of the Wandering Jew, it told the story of an Elizabethan English seaman who, as punishment for a terrible act of cowardice, is doomed to sail the world's seas until the end of time. His hero participates in critical moments in history; Monsarrat used him to illustrate the central role of seamen

the book tells a story about a immortal sailor wandering true time in different  time zones .    just like we do in NA

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1