Game-Labs Forum

A question on visibility

Proteus

I spent over 20 years on the trawlers and we could spot other boats quite easily at 6 nmiles, 3 nmiles in bad weather. I'm talking 50ft inshore boats so how the lookouts on these ships cannot see a 9000 ton 300+ foot cruiser in broad daylight until it is within it's 4.5km torpedo range is beyond me. I am really hoping for a realistic campaign but I fear it's just going to be gamey without major improvements on the weather and it's effects on different size ships and the visibility.

• Like 2

especially when you are a believer of the flat earth theory

also in those days they believed the earth was flat ....

but i believe it has something to do with the rendering ...

Ye, saw that on stealthgamings channel, where some light cruisers only appeared at 8.5km which is highly questionable. Not sure if its a bug or intended, but if its the latter it should defo go, if you what you say is correct. Especially since some of these BB's have very tall towers as well.

• Like 1

Its how games work, target signature is based on the target but in RL visibility is actually from the height of the observer.

You are correct @Proteus, visibility will be ‘gamey’.

In hindsight it would have been better if Dev’ develop their own game engine, then they could have addressed many realism issues.

Edited by Skeksis

I know for a fact that the unity game engine is capable of much more complex calculations of visibility and target-to-target spotting than you are implying.  It is not a fundamental limitation of the game engine.

Probably just as easy to assign a minimum detection range value to each class of ship for starters, then balance the remaining factors to determine how far beyond that range the ship can be spotted. Also need to impose a firing penalty to any ship not able to see it's target (i.e. using spotting from other friendly ships). 

On 7/16/2020 at 8:58 AM, akd said:

I know for a fact that the unity game engine is capable of much more complex calculations of visibility and target-to-target spotting than you are implying.  It is not a fundamental limitation of the game engine.

Eve Online can have thousands of players in a single battle, a game engine they develop, can Unreal or Unity do that? Expanding a general purpose engine has limitations and also I thought writing modifiers wasn't easy, not something your normal game programmer would mess with. 

Edited by Skeksis