Game-Labs Forum

A modern era version of UA:D?

Cdodders

One thing has been on my mind is it would be cool to have a modern era version of UA:D. Separate from UA:D but with similar idea, with ship building/design and such. Maybe going from early Cold War to Modern or post Modern era. I would guess that Subs and CVs would feature more, perhaps more so than is (AFAIK) planned for UA:D. 

Again a separate game from UA:D but similar

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Cdodders said:

One thing has been on my mind is it would be cool to have a modern era version of UA:D. Separate from UA:D but with similar idea, with ship building/design and such. Maybe going from early Cold War to Modern or post Modern era. I would guess that Subs and CVs would feature more, perhaps more so than is (AFAIK) planned for UA:D. 

https://www.microprose.com/games/sea-power

• Like 3

Sea Power doesn't allow for ship building/design, doesn't allow to pick a naval power other than ReD/BlU and we don't really know how the campaign will play out "yet".

Don't get me wrong, it is the sole naval game I'm waiting for right now because I'm a sucker for cold war. But I don't think it's similar to UA:D in many way other than having botes firing at each other.

Rule the Waves 2 is closer to it because lately it added early cold war and missiles.

after the initial development they could, i mean like idk 2 years or something after the release of this game maybe even 4 years or longer. I wouldn't being able to build the old classes of ships even if they aren't being used anymore jus so i can have a really fat missle BB for memes.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:57 PM, Cdodders said:

Separate from UA:D but with similar idea, with ship building/design and such.

Not too separate - older ships need those juicy tech for further upgrade.

On 7/13/2020 at 2:42 PM, Cptbarney said:

I wouldn't being able to build the old classes of ships even if they aren't being used anymore jus so i can have a really fat missle BB for memes.

How about give her a nuclear shells?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronKaputt said:

Not too separate - older ships need those juicy tech for further upgrade.

How about give her a nuclear shells?

both will do, then i can have a really big modern monarch (if we ever get KGV's hull in) with 432's nuclear fission tipped APCBCFS Shells with whatever zoomy bois they use atm.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 9:57 PM, Cdodders said:

Check out the upcoming Sea Power on Steam. It's the only modern naval RTS in making that I know of.

• Like 1

How many of us have any real-life experience with how boring modern naval combat between near-peer adversaries really is?

Here's how sea battles "game out" at the Naval War College:

1. Detect adversary, launch wepons. Deploy countermeaures. Probably die anyway.

-or-

2. Be detected. Deploy countermeasures. Fire weapons. Die anyway.

Pretty much everybody dies, nobody wins. In ten minutes. How much "fun" is that?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Doveton Sturdee said:

Pretty much everybody dies, nobody wins. In ten minutes

The same for every war, everybody dies, it’s just as time rolls along, there're more people tallied up and it's quicker for them. 

Edited by Skeksis

21 minutes ago, Doveton Sturdee said:

How many of us have any real-life experience with how boring modern naval combat between near-peer adversaries really is?

Thankfully we are talking about games.

In a game, there is definitively a challenge when the stakes are mutual annihilation in a matter of minutes. DEFCON is a perfect exemple. The game design is good, the rules are clear, the UI engaging and the game last for a decent amount of time. If you know what you are doing, even something where you "lose" in victory can be fun and very replayable.

If modern naval warfare is all about finding first, striking first and hopefully disapear. Then make sure your game allow you to find first with all the range of sensor available and you have already an interesting game of cat and mouse. Cold Waters, even with all of its "arcade" controls is really good at it. I'm also certain a game like Command Modern Operation can be engaging too because it allow just that.

• 5 months later...

In a game, there is definitively a challenge when the stakes are mutual annihilation in a matter of minutes. DEFCON is a perfect exemple. The game design is good, the rules are clear, the UI engaging and the game last for a decent amount of time. If you know what you are doing, even something where you "lose" in victory can be fun and very replayable.

DEFCON is awesome. It was released in 2006 but its gameplay still rocks. The picture, of course, is a little outdated but still nice to play. Modern naval games can learn something from DEFCON as they are not seriously developed from a tactical point of view. But in fact, I prefer not only naval games but first personal shooters as well. I was looking through cdkeysforgames.com and found a lot of games to buy. One of my dreams is to find a game that combines a naval setting with typical shooter gameplay. Oh, I almost guarantee that it would be brilliant!

Edited by JayWhito

You want to know what modern naval game play would look like? Read up on Operation Praying Mantis. The largest US Navy surface engagement since the second world war, to summarize, it was a quick and dirty knife fight using anti-ship missiles fought between a carrier group of the USN, and the Iranian "navy" in 1988 during the twilight of the Iran Iraq war. TLDR The US sank half the iranian "navy" in a few minutes, which sounds impressive until you realize that half the Iranian navy consists of 1 frigate, 1 gunboat, and a handful of speed boats. Modern naval combat is really just hurling AShMs at each other while trying to shoot down incoming AShMs with CIWS. 

• Like 1

With the current state of the ship builder/editor I wouldn't. The editor was the main feature that attracted me to UA:D and I'm not really impressed. It feels like I'm just customizing a ship built by someone else rather than building my own. The simulation also isn't all that impressive compared to other similar games atm. Task Force Admiral (WW2), Sea Power (Cold War) and War on the Sea (WW2) all look promising in this regard but I've learnt my lesson. Waiting for them to release before buying this time. About the only feature that is keeping me from outright uninstalling is the freedom the campaign may provide. However, the further in development this game goes the less I'm excited about it. I'm not sure the campaign can hold up the entire game if the simulation and editor fall short. At least to me anyway, my opinion.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it will for sure mean that carriers will need to be developed first before they can even attempt a modern naval game version of UAD. However, in general I wouldn't be very interested in playing a modern version, but perhaps that is also because I believe a modern version will lack variety.