Game-Labs Forum

Timber stats for next week patch

On 7/23/2020 at 4:31 AM, admin said:

Teaks - resistance (But brittle)

Could you be a little more specific please?
What do you mean by "resistance"? HP or thickness?
What does it mean "brittle"?
Cheers

Why not add a money chest as loot to ships sunk in pvp? the main reward in pvp right now is doubloons which aren't needed to craft ships anymore. The chest could contain reals up to 1mil reals for a 1st rate and less for smaller ships. But you still have to haul it back to port to claim it, so there's a risk factor involved. 
Because atm for a PVP game, PVE seems a lot more rewarding for a lot less risk. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ProChigga said:

What's it like, being a professional brown noser?

Difference between me and your sort is, I am treating devs like human beings and as the artists they are, thanks to me being civilized and also having a background in arts, and I don't confront them with impertinent entitlement and false claims like a bunch of spoiled retarded bullies besieging the customer service desk at a Walmart store. Waving falsified sales checks in their fists.

Given this is done with some fairly new accounts simultaneously and in concerted action, I suspect you have been here before under another name; same behavior, same fate.

Ah, and the cheers of the drunken crowd, it's sweet poison in the ears of beer barrel tub-thumpers, isn't it?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Koltes said:

Could you be a little more specific please?
What do you mean by "resistance"? HP or thickness?
What does it mean "brittle"?
Cheers

resistance, hardness.. They resist cannonballs, harder to break. But when they break they splinter easier. 
While soft wood is easier to penetrate, but it does not break as energy just passes through.

10 minutes ago, admin said:

resistance, hardness.. They resist cannonballs, harder to break. But when they break they splinter easier. 
While soft wood is easier to penetrate, but it does not break as energy just passes through.

Got ya, thank you!

3 minutes ago, Lieste said:

The focus on increasing 'replacement' cost is wrong. This penalises those starting out, those who are 'less efficient' or who don't go around in huge fleets with the power to defeat anything they meet with little risk.

It benefits the larger groups, who have large coffers.

A *far* better way of reigning in the 'cost of doing business' for larger clans would be to make ship building 'normal' costs, with heavy 'repair, provisioning, arming, crew retention and pay, and dockyard space/costs'. These require payment as long as the ability to operate the larger ships is requested/budgeted for at the highest levels... with an efficiency of operating a smaller ship - unused ships could be held in 'ordinary' at reduced running cost, but with a requirement to commission them for use - with a repair/provisioning/arming cost. Provisions, crew, powder and shot, and ordnance (and the vessel itself) could all be items with a limited life, ongoing replacement costs, storage costs, that meet the 'growth' of a successful player with increasing costs, even when they are not "losing" ships.

Whereas the starting player who loses his ship has only the reduced requirement to build another at a 'normal' cost, and to provide stores.

With 'prize rules' permitting the retention of around 1/3rd the value of a prize, and this then being divided among the crew so the captain (with 2/8ths) has overall around 1/12th the total value (or has to 'purchase' their captures at 11/12th their nominal 'second hand/worn' value)... it makes accumulation of assets with no/minimal cost but huge value a more difficult proposition.

You need cash sinks, places where money *leaves* the economy, rather than just more 'expensive trade goods' where profits can and will be made. And you want these to form a limiting feedback loop on growth/success.

Almost exactly my thoughts

7 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Difference between me and your sort is, I am treating devs like human beings and as the artists they are, thanks to me being civilized and also having a background in arts, and I don't confront them with impertinent entitlement and false claims like a bunch of spoiled retarded bullies besieging the customer service desk at a Walmart store. Waving falsified sales checks in their fists.

Given this is done with some fairly new accounts simultaneously and in concerted action, I suspect you have been here before under another name; same behavior, same fate.

Ah, and the cheers of the drunken crowd, it's sweet poison in the ears of beer barrel tub-thumpers, isn't it?

The real difference is that you play the PvE server, so you're mostly unaffected by most changes being made. 

For example, how much ships cost isn't a big deal to you at all cause any ship you build is forever, you will never lose it. It's a bit different on PvP. 

Edited by Never

3 hours ago, Never said:

The real difference is that you play the PvE server, so you're mostly unaffected by most changes being made.

I have been there too, on your PvP. It is wrong to say I would not care about gameplay quality on your server alike.

But that is all not connected to calling out bullies on forum.

37 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

I have been there too, on your PvP. It is wrong to say I would not care about gameplay quality on your server alike.

But that is all not connected to calling out bullies on forum.

People only overreact cause they feel like they are never heard. Those same people being referred to as 'assholes' and 'bullies'; many of them spent many hours of their time trying to provide good feedback in a polite and nice way and were basically ignored. Patience is not some eternal thing that never runs out, specially when you are paying to get something. 

People could for example forgive being brought the wrong order in a restaurant once, maybe twice. But if you had to send back your order cause it's wrong 20 times over, you'd probably be screaming at your waiter too. 

Edited by Never
  • Like 1

Once again, we see a stated intention from the devs followed by a policy which achieves exactly the opposite.

Stated intention: reduce the price of dubs.

Policy: make quality and popular woods (LO, WO) much more expensive to harvest.

Effect: everyone buys them from the Admiralty at 3 dubs per log (much cheaper than farming), creating more demand for dubs.

Evidence:  The price of dubs today is twice what is was a week ago.

Edited by Karvala
  • Like 3

On 7/24/2020 at 10:02 AM, admin said:

@admin

Do all the soft goods behave in the same manner? 

Do all the hard woods brittle the same?? if dont could we have the info on which ones do brittle more and how splinter dmg varies depending on the dmg received please??

much appreciated, thx for the changes, am loving the new balance, the game and the sailing model of the ships remember me now at the one we had on the alpha, which imho was excellent.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:56 PM, Aquillas said:

This will create gameplay for frigates and smaller ships.

It's strange and not historical to see in Open World way more 1st rates than LGV's, more Indiamen than brigs, etc.

Maybe, it was strange and not historical to see in Open World way more 1st rates than LGV's, more Indiamen than brigs, etc.

This will create income for gamelabs. People are now more or less forced to by at least the Redoubtable DLC to be competitive. 

But since the big ships were slowed down a bit, there might be a place for frigates in the game now. Still we need something that makes the Frigate and Pirate Frigate usefull again (maybe some medium water depth, where no bigger ships can sail).

• Like 1

This is stupid.

The prices are astronomical. Believe it, or not, there are people who don't play this all day. 

The cost of crafting a simple Fir/Bermuda Surprise just went from 28,224 to well over 200,000 with the seasoned woods, minimum. Add mods, etc., and you're spending the whole day trading or grinding. Bigger frigates are 500K...and 1st rates? Forget it.

Why do devs continually make HUGE changes to a game that used to be fun to play? Whose voices are driving this?

I'm forced to download DLC ships, I guess. I'd much rather craft them, but don't want to spend all of my time raising reals & dubs

SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY! The game was more fun when it was simpler.

Edited by Quiet Assassin
  • Thanks 2