Game-Labs Forum

Timber stats for next week patch

Timber update

Changes in red.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mM1LEvwbt1tXOudiDUpTsT97wum_DvZDEs-S1YrkVBw/edit?pli=1#gid=1878153524

Goals
Streamline the stats
Fix the inconsistencies (like teak slower than white oak),
Slight buffs to riga fir and new england fir.
Several other changes (including to acceleration - there will be a minor overall acceleration and speed fix next together with this timber stat change)

Changes will be deployed next week. Please report on the issues you found with the new data.
You can sort any column by using the green buttons near the names of the column. You can also switch on or off the types of wood, or names for your personal analysis.

for the Shipbuilding timber fans here are a couple of videos from a very entertaining channel on boat building

Red oak vs White oak

How to cut knees from white oak

How to pick white oak

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

it is interesting changes, but in my opinion you are buff teak (S) too much in frame section in this new patch on thikcness stats. Same thikcness than Locust (S) and almost than Live (s) is excesive and will make and imbalance on that.

With that stats you are making Teak (S) tanky and faster, as Locust (S) were before patch. Locust (S) is not a usable wood now, and with this patch is worst... Same thickness that teak, and -4% of speed when teak increases 4.4%... This is a real imbalance, i guess.

Edited by Despe
  • Like 2

Can we have a bit more positive bonus for locust. Perhaps 2% more speed, or a bit more hitpoints. Only 1% für Armor and hull is no big motivation for -2.5 less thickness.

And pls give mahogany (s) a bit thickness. Teak is so much better.

Edited by furyGer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, furyGer said:

Can we have a bit more positive bonus for locust. Perhaps 2% more speed, or a bit more hitpoints. Only 1% für Armor and hull is no big motivation for -2.5% less thickness.

And pls give mahogany (s) a bit thickness. Teak is so much better.

There is always a faster ship. There is always a sturdier ship. There is always a better ship.

The most major inconsistency is that the Devs haven't a clue what they are doing when it comes to balancing. Just made White Oak useless. FML... We need this sorted out quickly, and we need woods to be finalised so we know where we all stand. Been FAR FAR TOO LONG that NA community have been stuck in limbo waiting for the Devs to sort this mess out. Unacceptable. Devs need to listen to feed back, before it does further damage to a game we all love to play. Suck it up, and listen for a change. While you are at it, increase the flag weight & get rid of the AI port battles jezz! Stop turning the pvp server into the PVE server...

Edited by ChineseBatman

So... Teak(S)/Teak(S) ships as new meta?
+7.2% Speed and +26% thickness with also +16% armor HP and decent masts (both HP and thickness) combined with quite good inertia and acceleration

P. S. BTW - what does Average Dried Weight mean? Is that some meaningful characteristic that will be used ingame?

Edited by Malcolm3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Malcolm3 said:

So... Teak(S)/Teak(S) ships as new meta?
+7.2% Speed and +26% thickness with also +16% armor HP and decent masts (both HP and thickness) combined with quite good inertia and acceleration

P. S. BTW - what does Average Dried Weight means? Is that some meaningful characteristic that will be used ingame?

My Teak/teak Implac/Christians and Endymions are relivant again. Yet although Devs made huge mistake with teak, and have resolved many of the issues now, they have made Teak dare I say too powerful, and messed up other woods like WO/Sabiqu/Locust/Live Oak =( Devs moto, resolve one issue and create 3 more to take its place lmfao

Edited by ChineseBatman
  • Like 2

Teak did not need a thickness buff, you're make it unbalanced once again. Speed and thickness are the 2 most important stats by far, you cannot make a wood like teak be superior in both speed and thickness. HP bonuses are almost irrelevant unless you add massive amounts of it. Not all stats are equally valuable, Sabicu having 5% more HP does not equal adding 5% more thickness to teak. You're making woods like White Oak complete useless again. 

And have you taken notice of the mess the latest patch made? Now all new woods are pointless cause you can make 50 million reals by selling 3k wood as a trade good. Nobody with half a brain is using them for building ships if you make them the most valuable trade good in the game by a massive margin. One log has a net profit of 20k reals an one Lynx can carry hundreds of logs. 

Not all new woods need to cost 10k reals, what did you even base that change on? 3k was fine. Let the price be set by the demand; not by some artificial arbitrarily set number. Not all new woods are worth the same, some are far better than others. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Never said:

Now all new woods are pointless cause you can make 50 million reals by selling 3k wood as a trade good. Nobody with half a brain is using them for building ships if you make them the most valuable trade good in the game by a massive margin. One log has a net profit of 20k reals an one Lynx can carry hundreds of logs. 

They are going to fix it tomorrow TBH

Who will need Malabar Teak after these changes, if African Teak makes everything better? At the moment the (smaller) difference in thickness is compensated by differences in agility. What remains after the patch is a few percent more HP. This will barely compensate it.

in my opinion the (used) woods were balanced, so why re-sort everything again? It would have quite enough to limit the changes to the wrongly positioned woods which were mentioned in the opening post.

Edited by Holm Hansen

40 minutes ago, Aquillas said:

Shit! I just scrapped all my teak /WO ships...

You should not make drastic decisions. The data in the table is provided for review and discussion. It might change (not significanly).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, admin said:

You should not make drastic decisions. The data in the table is provided for review and discussion. It might change (not significanly).

Thanks, I got trapped twice. First time, two weeks ago, when "cleaning" some locust ships , too slow for PVP. Then I replaced teak/WO by Bermuda/WO, more efficient for small ships in PVP. I suicided some Burmu/Bermu ships to get space on my docks, attacking any target (my prince vs Panda + Prince + LGV). Pixel suicide is fun!

I hope that my present meta for small ships (Bermu/WO) seasoned will stay usable. 😉

30 minutes ago, Hittings said:

I only see african teak, malabar teak, teak s, teak, rangoon teak... where is the other woods?

Just apply your own filter by clicking the little triangles in the column headers

How are people supposed to invest in ships if their ships keep changing stats, week after week?  This is completely ridiculous.  If you want to change the meta, which btw is a completely pointless activity since it will just replace it with a new meta, then at least introduce something new and stronger in order to do so.  You're killing the game with all of this constant meddling with the numbers.  People need some stability.

• Like 2

people came back to the game, only to find stats being adjusted again and again after rvr resumed, and now its just like why even play anymore...  Nobody wants to build ships that are going to suck in a week and nobody wants to play a game without rvr...can't have rvr without ships...   

I am ready to run up the wall each time I hear about "meta". Can't you think for yourself? Always you need a canonized 'better-than-all' solution what all sheep are supposed to have.

If all wood reconsidering in stats have the ultimate aim to destroy any "meta" but offer many valuable combinations, I think the purpose of this revolution is met!

Death to the 'meta'!

• Like 3

On 7/10/2020 at 9:27 AM, admin said:

Timber update

Changes in red.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mM1LEvwbt1tXOudiDUpTsT97wum_DvZDEs-S1YrkVBw/edit?pli=1#gid=1878153524

Goals
Streamline the stats
Fix the inconsistencies (like teak slower than white oak),
Slight buffs to riga fir and new england fir.
Several other changes (including to acceleration - there will be a minor overall acceleration and speed fix next together with this timber stat change)

Changes will be deployed next week. Please report on the issues you found with the new data.
You can sort any column by using the green buttons near the names of the column. You can also switch on or off the types of wood, or names for your personal analysis.

@admin In my opinion the current wood stats we had were fairly balanced with the exception of a few things as stated like White Oak Planking being faster than Teak. Some buffs were needed to some of these woods, such as Danzig Oak, Riga Fir, and New England Fir to warrant the minimum buy price these woods are now at. 

However, I do disagree with several of the proposed changes as they unbalance stats that were fairly closed to being balanced across the board. 

Teak, Malabar Teak, and African Teak should not have received a thickness buff and most definitely shouldn't be the same speed across the board. Malabar Teak and African Teak were already highly sought after woods before, with African Teak prices staying in the 15-20k range since it was released and Malabar will also being a similar range. These woods will still be highly sought after even without any proposed buffs and simply make teak redundant if you can get your hands on these as they have negligible draw backs compared to seasoned teak. I would suggest that for the frame parts, the thickness stay what it is currently and the speed is staggered with Teak (S) at 4.4%, Teak at 3.4%, Malabar Teak at 2.4% and then African Teak at 1.4%. The planking changes I am fine with as it solves the issue of White Oak being faster than teak, however I also suggest that the speed is scaled with Teak (S) at 2.8%, Teak at 2.2%, Malabar Teak at 1.8%, and African Teak at 1%. Again, this will give the teaks with huge amounts of thickness drawbacks when it comes to speed. 

Sabicu, the speed should be left alone. Sabicu is already extremely underused and making it even slower will only further hurt it. 

For most of us, certain buffs to the teaks aren't needed as they are viable as it is now and large buffs to their speed and thickness will make them borderline op even when compared to the heavier woods like Locust and Live Oak. Other than that, most of the changes I have no issues with unless I overlooked something as most are changing acceleration, speed, and repair across the board. 

Edited by Redman29
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1