Game-Labs Forum

Beat to quarters: Port battles return to War Server

admin

1 hour ago, admin said:

This is called an evolving game. 

As a newish player who isn't that effected by the nerfing of woods and ships that i don't have, i'd like to make a separate point: 

I think there's a lot to be desired with the explanation of the thought process of devs charging major aspects of the game. If there's a change like these latest wood values that negate individuals' hours and hours of grinding towards a goal, shouldn't it be accompanied by a really well reasoned and explained thought process?

Maybe I missed it, but if you explained how you thought of the players' experience and how you had to sacrifice all those hours people grinded for woods in order to fix something major, maybe players wouldn't be so upset, or at minimum i'd imagine the feedback and conversation would be a lot more constructive. 

• Like 4

Can you PLEASE create a document that lays out your long term vision for the game, so that when you make gamebreaking changes like this we all at least have some sort of chance of understanding why? On the surface, it just seems like all the screwing around with the woods and increasing crafting costs is a thinly veiled attempt to make DLCs more valuable.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, admin said:

Yes we understand. Global is too toxic and needs to be removed. Its better to build national unity. Global for neutrals! 

never say never. people attacked us for 4th rates (which were always promised since 2013 and always planned) we decided that we are free from any promises then.

how about area chat? talk to people in the area))

7 minutes ago, Edmund Barbarossa said:

Can you PLEASE create a document that lays out your long term vision for the game, so that when you make gamebreaking changes like this we all at least have some sort of chance of understanding why? On the surface, it just seems like all the screwing around with the woods and increasing crafting costs is a thinly veiled attempt to make DLCs more valuable.

LOL

A long term document? They announced this big update and said "1-52 weeks" for implementation.
Then it just morphed and morphed and morphed and we've seen about 10% of the mentioned changes, some partially implemented, others not at all... and the goal posts keep moving.

I went away for a month or so to wait it out and then get back into it with the new mechanics. I come back in to see only new woods but they're not farmable with player owned plantations -only for sale at a few ports for 10000 reals each log. 217 at a time for around 2.4 million reals. 
There were other things added, but then I log in today to find ALL woods are now only for the rich and tagging has changed again.

There is no document that would cover the non-plans here.
It would be a blog... and change every day.

Also, if all they want is to push people toward DLC purchases, that's their right. Once the servers are full of DLC mediocrity and nobody is crafting anymore... they won't care because the next title will be released.
That's also their right.

It doesn't make the game fun to play if you don't want to buy a victory DLC. I won't buy that, ever.
It's a turd compared to other line ships. You're better off making a floating battery Redoubtable.

49 minutes ago, admin said:

This is a final view. Its a road that we will stick to.

How many final views did we have before? Combat model, sailing, all presented as "final" more than once in the past. If you present something as final, you should stick to it and not do a 180 half a year later.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DDZ_Vasduten said:

Also, if all they want is to push people toward DLC purchases, that's their right. Once the servers are full of DLC mediocrity and nobody is crafting anymore... they won't care because the next title will be released.
That's also their right.

Nobody is crafting bc its cheaper to just click, click, boom, redoubt or DLC vic, and now with these changes it will be even more expensive to craft so less people will be doing it. It would not surprise me if the next ship they release (If the game even survives that long) will be another DLC ship

1 minute ago, ProChigga said:

Nobody is crafting bc its cheaper to just click, click, boom, redoubt or DLC vic, and now with these changes it will be even more expensive to craft so less people will be doing it. It would not surprise me if the next ship they release (If the game even survives that long) will be another DLC ship

lol a DLC L'Ocean

34 minutes ago, DDZ_Vasduten said:

I was really surprised to see AI port battles to be honest.

I thought that crap was only for the PvE server!!! I don't get it.

Your not supposed to get it,you didn't order the cake but you will eat it and you will enjoy it and you will pay for it too.

7 minutes ago, ProChigga said:

we were already supposed to get the Rotterdam and have it craftable lol

Like Admiral de Ruyter, yes?

Actually devs soon will be quite limited to possible DLC-ship choices, as most niches will be filled

1 hour ago, Capitalism Kills said:

how you had to sacrifice all those hours people grinded for woods

Based on your comment i am not sure if you understand what was changed with Timber.
- just using your words

If you grinded for Teak S or White oak S or Live Oak S you got the following

• It is way better than normal base woods
  • and was made from 10 to 50 times more expensive 

So if you really grinded for them before - you are probably happier, stronger and richer. 

1 minute ago, admin said:

Based on this comment i am not sure if you understand what was changed.

If you grinded for Teak S or White oak S or Live Oak S you got the following - just using your words
It is now way better than normal base woods - and from 10 to 50 times more expensive (so you actually are rich AND stronger). 

The other side to that coin is that if you DON'T have any wood, it costs a lot more now to build ships. It's kind of lame that a ship should cost 30mil but it's your game... do what you want

1 hour ago, DDZ_Vasduten said:

So is any consideration being given to the huge grind this game has become over the last two months??? 

Any relief in sight here?

Or nah

I have three accounts and after the latest econ nerf (the wood price increase), I'm done.  I'm absolutely 100% burnt out.

They killed trading missions, they gave us trade.  Now you can spend hours checking ports for trade goods.  Now they've increased the price of materials, which means even MORE pressure to find trade goods.  I can't be bothered to sit all day in front of a computer, porting between outposts looking for trade goods, or sailing hours hoping not to get ganked.  At this point, sailing 3 Indiamen loaded with high quality goods for 1.5 hours will earn me just over $1m, not enough to build a LO/WO 4th rate.

I can't even *imagine* what life is going to be like for new players, or how horrible it would be having a single account.

Edited by Rektified
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Capitalism Kills said:

Maybe I missed it, but if you explained how you thought of the players' experience and how you had to sacrifice all those hours people grinded for woods in order to fix something major, maybe players wouldn't be so upset, or at minimum i'd imagine the feedback and conversation would be a lot more constructive. 

22 minutes ago, admin said:

Based on your comment i am not sure if you understand what was changed with Timber.
- just using your words

If you grinded for Teak S or White oak S or Live Oak S you got the following

• It is way better than normal base woods
  • and was made from 10 to 50 times more expensive 

So if you really grinded for them before - you are probably happier, stronger and richer. 

The point is, that you annihilated months of grind by nerfing the existing woods, and to make things even worse, you took away the speed of all existing ships. Which makes the grind even more painful.

You were speaking of a "speed inflation" before. I can not see a speed inflation. The only speed increases were created by players' ingame work and effort with ship crafting and expensive upgrades. You nullified all this. Effect on motivation? Your guess.

• Like 1

@admin

The power creep check on the woods is needed....I think.  Though perhaps a different tuning methon other than just simply upping the price would be a better approach.  Requiring only seasoned woods or a certain trade good (like the old french wine days) would also be a boon to the traders.

My main gripe however is that the price of admission into the larger port battles where 1st rates is/are/always used is now even that much higher which prohibitively affects smaller clans, solo players and smaller/less organized nations.  The cost of a fleet and now the time spent getting the flags....this is no longer a casual endeavor.  To that end, any thought about bringing back rate limits on port battles like we used to have?  All 4th rate battles back in the day were more of an entry point for newer and less experienced clans, as was the shallows, and absorbing the hit of a loss was considerably less.  With the increased costs, seasoned woods and now the flags......taking a loss on the chin is no longer really an option.  I feel like SOME port battles more of casual focus, while the big boi fights for the major ports could remain as is.  also 6th and 7th rate battles only..... oh please.  

To use myself and the VCO guys as an example (and it would seem a great many others) the new woods, costs and flags...after so many changes to the various systems, this time around we honestly just can't be bothered.  If you want a more grindy/hardcore style game, sure.  But you do need to sprinkle in bits of casual content to keep the fans in the seats.  The best juice is always worth the squeeze.     

Anyway, just a few thoughts.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, admin said:

PS. Chance of wind shadow 33% (up from 3%)

lol didnt even know that was in the game. If it is, why is again % chance of happening, should be either 100% or 0%. You either have boats affecting the wind around them or you dont .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Henry Long Castle said:

lol didnt even know that was in the game. If it is, why is again % chance of happening, should be either 100% or 0%. You either have boats affecting the wind around them or you dont .

I took that to mean that the chances they will implement wind shadow in game have gone up. That is, they are considering it more seriously. 

34 minutes ago, Ishmael Coffin said:

The point is, that you annihilated months of grind by nerfing the existing woods, and to make things even worse, you took away the speed of all existing ships. Which makes the grind even more painful.

Teak S/Teak S overall thickness is now 25% bonus - if you compare it to previous thickness bonus  (9+4). Its a 12% buff to thickness. In what universe its a nerf of an existing wood. Is this new gender studies math?

Dont be like modern fake media. Post facts, not bullshit. 

• Like 1