Game-Labs Forum

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts - Steam Release Plan Update

Ink

For what I was hoping for the game, I'm with Doug on this one. If the current mechanical state of the game is how it is going to be, definitely disappointed. Campaign may still be fun regardless, if it provides a decent challenge/some interest mechanics to play around with pretend ship design ala Rule the Waves, but yeah, the combat feels lacking in its current state because it is to far towards the gaming abstraction for my specific tastes. That's fine though, doesn't mean it is a bad game, just not the game I have been hoping for ever since I played Great Naval Battles decades ago.

• Like 9

Well, that is a surprice alright. 

I did hope that the team would fix/improve the glaring problems the game still has (armour/damage/ballistics and ship design) before they moved out of alpha. 

The same that we reported since November.

But I guess some will like it nevertheless.

4 hours ago, shaitan said:

For what I was hoping for the game, I'm with Doug on this one. If the current mechanical state of the game is how it is going to be, definitely disappointed. Campaign may still be fun regardless, if it provides a decent challenge/some interest mechanics to play around with pretend ship design ala Rule the Waves, but yeah, the combat feels lacking in its current state because it is to far towards the gaming abstraction for my specific tastes. That's fine though, doesn't mean it is a bad game, just not the game I have been hoping for ever since I played Great Naval Battles decades ago.

Same here, since I read about this, I hoped for a recreation of that amazing series with the addition of player designed ships (based on realistic restrictions).

Unfortunately, apparently this is not the case. At least with the state of the game at the moment.

• Like 2

If the wait for the campaign is that long, and the custom battles aren't improved upon at all, Im afraid to say the gameplay will become too stale for me, especially because you cannot design multiple ships in the custom battles and naval academy missions and you cannot design the enemy fleet in custom battles.

I honestly dont understand this obsession with a campaign. Its seems like the majority of the player base(including me) is more interested in realistic ship mechanics with complex ship design as well as maximum freedom in designing custom battles and the campaign would be a cherry on top. By focusing exclusively on the campaign the devs seem to be hoping to attract potential casual gamers while alienating a loyal playerbase.

Edited by Druzki
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Druzki said:

I honestly dont understand this obsession with a campaign. 

dude if they are that obsess with the campaign, it wouldn't take nearly a year later to release it. Plus consider how the forum cry out about how broken the game is, im not surprise if the campaign release with only 3 playable faction 

Edited by johnson smith

1 hour ago, johnson smith said:

dude if they are that obsess with the campaign, it wouldn't take nearly a year later to release it. Plus consider how the forum cry out about how broken the game is, im not surprise if the campaign release with only 3 playable faction 

Well considering the fact it's our job to provide feedback, i dont see how thats crying about it. Especially when most of that feedback has been massively in-depth as well.

And no it won't be three factions as that makes no sense all the factions you play with atm, will be in the campaign at some point. This game has a lot of potential, and with a small dev team this will take sometime to do and get there, but i hope that they do add some of the functions players have been asking for. I mean if they were to make custom battles and the designer more intuitive, that would at least tie peeps over till the first campaign release.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Druzki said:

I honestly dont understand this obsession with a campaign.

I do... Designing ships is fun, but its the campaign that actually puts meaning to that... You can't just retry that battle with different design, you are stuck with what you thought will work 3 years ago making each decision matter. Not to mention all other features making each playthrough a unique experience. 

Saying that, i do believe core issues needs addressing in the meantime (bulkheads, armor, accuracy penalties, etc.)

• Like 11

16 hours ago, Druzki said:

If the wait for the campaign is that long, and the custom battles aren't improved upon at all, Im afraid to say the gameplay will become too stale for me, especially because you cannot design multiple ships in the custom battles and naval academy missions and you cannot design the enemy fleet in custom battles.

I honestly dont understand this obsession with a campaign. Its seems like the majority of the player base(including me) is more interested in realistic ship mechanics with complex ship design as well as maximum freedom in designing custom battles and the campaign would be a cherry on top. By focusing exclusively on the campaign the devs seem to be hoping to attract potential casual gamers while alienating a loyal playerbase.

really?

you need to get explained to you why the campaign is important?

Really?

Also I love how the vocal voices of the forum gets to assume to be the "loyal playerbase" then it could be very be a fringe minority.

Like almost every game forum ever.

While people wanting the campaign are "casual". 

• Like 2

The campaign and the designer are the two most important features of this game. Also having the game modifiable would give a ton of replay ability. Which means the devs are most likely focusing on the campaign so that they can start testing out various mechanics related to that.

We might also see changes to other mechanics plus addons as well (i hope so but eh). Otherwise if not, i hope we get that modular building thing if its still possible to do at all.

Either way i still thank the devs for making something like this, i think having this game moddable would also help lower some of the workload (i think, unless that creates more.).

Oh well.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, johnson smith said:

The devpost just mentioned that they're only going to work on the campaign, besides minor bugfixes. They admit that nearly 100% of their time and resources will be spent on developing it.

10 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

The campaign and the designer are the two most important features of this game. Also having the game modifiable would give a ton of replay ability. Which means the devs are most likely focusing on the campaign so that they can start testing out various mechanics related to that.

We might also see changes to other mechanics plus addons as well (i hope so but eh). Otherwise if not, i hope we get that modular building thing if its still possible to do at all.

Either way i still thank the devs for making something like this, i think having this game moddable would also help lower some of the workload (i think, unless that creates more.).

Oh well.

The game can be almost just as replayable by giving players more freedom in creating custom battle and naval academy scenarios(as I said multiple times, designing more than one ship class and designing the enemy fleet), as well as ship designer improvements and this could be done sooner in order to keep interest, rather than hope enough players will wait 5-6 months for a campaign that will not be complete by then anyway. Paraphrasing what someone else said, the base of the game hasn't been ironed out and improved as much as it could.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Druzki said:

The devpost just mentioned that they're only going to work on the campaign, besides minor bugfixes. They admit that nearly 100% of their time and resources will be spent on developing it.

The game can be almost just as replayable by giving players more freedom in creating custom battle and naval academy scenarios(as I said multiple times, designing more than one ship class and designing the enemy fleet), as well as ship designer improvements and this could be done sooner in order to keep interest, rather than hope enough players will wait 5-6 months for a campaign that will not be complete by then anyway. Paraphrasing what someone else said, the base of the game hasn't been ironed out and improved as much as it could.

Yeah i know that, hense why i said they should of added more features to custom battles and hulls, plus other visuals before, working on the campaign to tie peeps over until the next proper release, which wont be the campaign.

regardless, thats irrelevant now since the devs are working on the campaign most of the time and most of the updates will just consist of just bug fixes maybe balance changes and if we are very lucky a hull or two.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Druzki said:

It is important, but not as much as the base mechanics and scenario creation. 

I agree.

The core gameplay mechanics are literally the building blocks of a game (at least like this one).

Personally, I am not interested in a wows clone with a campaign and a basic ship designer.

Some definetely will like it, but I am not one of them (and I believe a significant part of the community here).

• Like 4

so that's it eh?
if the current state of gameplay and balance is really representative of what the final game will play like, just with more hulls and a campaign, color me not impressed...
it's so unfortunate too because i think most of the issues we keep listing over and over aren't too hard to fix...

while i keep seeing "small team" mentionned by everyone (i don't have the original post but i think they said at one point there are only 3 people working on this game)...

i'm starting to wonder: How many people do they have at Game Labs anyway?? surely more than 3 and judging by their website, they are currently hiring 1 more...
can't they put just a few more peoples on Dreadnoughts?

like, what other game are they currently developping anyway ?

Edited by Accipiter
  • Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 4:56 AM, Accipiter said:

so that's it eh?
if the current state of gameplay and balance is really representative of what the final game will play like, just with more hulls and a campaign, color me not impressed...
it's so unfortunate too because i think most of the issues we keep listing over and over aren't too hard to fix...

while i keep seeing "small team" mentionned by everyone (i don't have the original post but i think they said at one point there are only 3 people working on this game)...

i'm starting to wonder: How many people do they have at Game Labs anyway?? surely more than 3 and judging by their website, they are currently hiring 1 more...

Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail is also being developed in conjunction with Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnaught.

I supported Age of Sail as well but completely lost interest in it when they decided to make a land campaign element part of the game too.  If I wanted that I'd still be playing Ultimate General: Civil War.

1 hour ago, monbvol said:

I supported Age of Sail as well but completely lost interest in it when they decided to make a land campaign element part of the game too.  If I wanted that I'd still be playing Ultimate General: Civil War.

That's totally the wrong way to look at it, UA:AoS is UGCW but with ships added to it!

On 6/25/2020 at 6:56 PM, Accipiter said:

so that's it eh?

age of sail

4 hours ago, monbvol said:

That only deepens my buyer's remorse if I think about it that way.

Is the land portion unavoidable? I think it sounds cool if its optional as you can pretend like your dropping off the army to save colonists or colonise something or go to teh pub or something.

19 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Is the land portion unavoidable? I think it sounds cool if its optional as you can pretend like your dropping off the army to save colonists or colonise something or go to teh pub or something.

Last I played no.

That has been some time so I am forced to grant it is entirely possible I am no longer qualified to give an accurate answer.

But at this point this is straying into topics of conversation best taken over to the Age of Sail forums.

• Like 1

I remember writing something like:

"I don't care about spreadsheet accuracy as long as basic things like crews or a more detailed armor model are missing."

But hey, soon after there was pages of poorly scanned documents and military archives about the penetration value of a german 2inch shell between the 2nd to 3rd august 1912 at 6000 on a steel plate 100mm thick. I don't know if this caused the back and forth of balance/band aid fix of accuracy and penetration value we experienced, it surely took some pages space. Here we are now. Basic things are still missing and if I read the OP correctly this will not change for quite some time. I still don't care about history spreadsheet. I played a shit ass naval browser game with better logistics and formation handling than Rule the Waves and there was no realism in it, just the abstraction of historical trivia about warships. And it was awesome, if too much of a grind.

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought is okay and probably ready for the wider steam audience in early access. There is decent fun to be had with the naval academy and battles are always nice to watch. The ship builder allow some fun design, broken meta boats, and if you don't look too much into the numbers, it "feel" like designing a warship with a set of technical limitations. The problem lies within the presentation and like some have always pointed out (although not the way I wanted it) the core. UI need work, we don't have a tactical map/minimap in a strategy game. Armor model need an overhaul, I don't want to remove the ability to flee of the IA just because I can't pen it's inner compartiments in a stern chase.. With 18inch guns. Where is the crew? Even abstracted as another "HP" layer that add modifiers in accuracy/reload and damage control it would be better than nothing with the occasional nerf/buff to X gun calliber.

If shelving the campaign can give me a tight game with an okay random battle designer, a medium sized naval academy with cool puzzles and all the aforementioned things working in a decently modern looking game. I'll gladly take this road. Even if it take 5-6 months too. Please, just work the core. I don't want the campaign.

• Like 2

I will be honest idea of campaign for me is the reason i am gooing to buy new PC, this sayed i will not buy this game untill its done, becouse i did mistake of buying unfinished game many many times. So i am waiting paintently for it :) But 6 months is alot :(    

On 6/24/2020 at 2:58 PM, SiWi said:

really?

you need to get explained to you why the campaign is important?

Really?

Also I love how the vocal voices of the forum gets to assume to be the "loyal playerbase" then it could be very be a fringe minority.

Like almost every game forum ever.

While people wanting the campaign are "casual". 

Please enlighten us as to why a game most people are purchasing out of the hope to re-create great naval battles and building their own unique ships amongst other things needs a campaign to be the main focus over fixing numerous issues, its custom battles element and other modes, when the custom battles and ship designing is the main feature people are buying it for. When I purchase something like this or Total war games, I purchase it for the custom battles and being able to create my own scenarios, the campaign is just a nice bonus I will try out occasionally. But no, now we hear that no, we're not going to get anything that we want for a very long time if ever and with there apparently not being enough content here to tide people over, especially without more fleet and ship design options in custom battles and all the developer's time being focused into a campaign that is still very far from being in Alpha stages I worry if the developer's focus on campaign over more content is going to kick the legs out from under the game before it even launches as going into early access with about a year till more proper content can come sounds like an instant death-sentence, especially when there is not enough here to tide people over until more content comes given the current road-map.

Yes a campaign might be important, but it's not important enough to jettison the rest of the game out the window for.

I'm sorry to be so negative and I have nothing against the developers, it's just that past experience with early access titles and how quickly they can be abandoned by the community and left to die when there is a lack of new content and not enough substance already in the game really has me worried for the life-line of this game.

Edited by The Maned Wolf
  • Like 1

Was there a poll or something I missed, where the majority of buyers said that they want the game mainly for playing historical scenarios?

If so, could you perhaps point me to said poll?

As for me, I don't pretend to know the reason the majority of people has spend money no this game, but I personally am not interested in scenarios (well, perhaps a little bit), but got the game in order to play the campaign.

Now I'm not searching for torches and pitchforks and I do feel that it is better to release late than in a horrible state, but the fact remains that the campaign will be my personal main focus - and from what I have seen on this forum, there seems to be an at least non-insignificant part of the community who shares this view.

• Like 1