Game-Labs Forum

People leaving when they see your name in battle

Hey guys!

For a while now, it has been a problem that people leave when they see who you are in battle. Sometimes people prefer an easy fight, other times they tag someone they realise is a friend. Other times they have heard rumours of the person that they have attacked and prefers to stay away from whoever this person may be.

This problem first started back when names were removed from Open World. This was not too bad initially, although I personally wanted the names to be displayed.

With the latest changes to tagging I see some new problems arising in battle. People now spawn much closer than they did before, and it takes a lot longer to leave battle. While I am personally in favour of this new mechanic, I do see some of the old things being somewhat out of date.

If people join and decide to leave because they will not fight the person they have tagged, it will now take 8 minutes to get out of battle and for both sides to continue playing the game.

I do not wish to discuss the mechanics already implemented, I am sure that the developers have had their reasons and I am fine with that. What I want to focus on is what is now outdated.

I suggest the following two solutions to the problem:

1. Make names visible in Open World again
  2. Make names invisible when the battle starts and only reveal them after 5-10 minutes
    1. For this feature I would also suggest disabling battle chat until the end of the ‘reveal timer’ or until one person has died from the opposite team.

With option no. 1, we will satisfy a lot of people who are worried about tagging players in Open World, but it is likely to introduce a reluctance to PvP against some people thus reducing PvP combat.

Option no. 2 is the one I personally consider to be the most interesting, this means that during the initial phase of the battle you will not know who you are up against. This could keep some people in battle who would otherwise leave very early.

Feel free discuss; maybe the third option is to simply leave the mechanics as they are. 🙂

• Like 1

Make captain names only visible on the ship card when the ship is taken or sunk.

Use generic name. Spanish Captain for example. 

If not happen, you'll never know who that was.

Similar to "unknown quality of enemy ship".

Complete opposite of yours, just to add seasoning to the soup.

And has inherent benefits and cons as well.

Edited by Hethwill
  • Like 2

Just now, Hethwill said:

Make captain names only visible on the ship card when the ship is taken or sunk.

If not happen, you'll never know.

I have alliances with individuals in other nations so pls no xD

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

If not happen, you'll never know.

This was my initial idea, but figured the following stated by @Je maintiendrai was going to be a problem.

1 minute ago, Je maintiendrai said:

I have alliances with individuals in other nations so pls no xD

It's important to consider that this is a game for a wide audience, not just the elite few 🙂

What other solutions do we have? I really feel like it's becoming an issue.

3 minutes ago, Je maintiendrai said:

Imagine tagging ram dinark and you didn't know... getting demasted in one broadside...

It happened to me with all players already, from Leviathan, all OCEAN boys, etc. So nothing new.

Ram wouldn't be the first nor the last :)

Personally I think players are either brave, suicidal crazy and some are natural cowards.

Names change nothing.

Edited by Hethwill
  • Like 4

Just now, Je maintiendrai said:

Imagine tagging ram dinark and you didn't know... getting demasted in one broadside...

Or acting boldly and having a good fight ...

I am for no names in OW and no in-battle chat (breaks the immersion). As for the topic of this thread, I guess it would not hurt to reveal names after 10 mins or so in battle. 

• Like 2

Oh, i'd fight dinark :D 

Just now, Stilgar said:

Or acting boldly and having a good fight ...

I am for no names in OW and no in-battle chat (breaks the immersion). As for the topic of this thread, I guess it would not hurt to reveal names after 10 mins or so in battle. 

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

It happened to me with all players already, from Leviathan, all OCEAN boys, etc. So nothing new.

Ram wouldn't be the first nor the last :)

Personally I think players are either brave, suicidal crazy and some are natural cowards.

Names change nothing.

I think this is a good explanation

3 minutes ago, BoatyMcBoatFace said:

no. knowing who you are against is integral part of strategy for the battle

Especially rank. Clan too because if you tag REDS or BF or any bigger clan you can expect company. So you need an escape route available

Edited by Je maintiendrai
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Percival Merewether said:

Hey guys!

For a while now, it has been a problem that people leave when they see who you are in battle. Sometimes people prefer an easy fight, other times they tag someone they realise is a friend. Other times they have heard rumours of the person that they have attacked and prefers to stay away from whoever this person may be.

This problem first started back when names were removed from Open World. This was not too bad initially, although I personally wanted the names to be displayed.

With the latest changes to tagging I see some new problems arising in battle. People now spawn much closer than they did before, and it takes a lot longer to leave battle. While I am personally in favour of this new mechanic, I do see some of the old things being somewhat out of date.

If people join and decide to leave because they will not fight the person they have tagged, it will now take 8 minutes to get out of battle and for both sides to continue playing the game.

I do not wish to discuss the mechanics already implemented, I am sure that the developers have had their reasons and I am fine with that. What I want to focus on is what is now outdated.

I suggest the following two solutions to the problem:

1. Make names visible in Open World again
  2. Make names invisible when the battle starts and only reveal them after 5-10 minutes
    1. For this feature I would also suggest disabling battle chat until the end of the ‘reveal timer’ or until one person has died from the opposite team.

With option no. 1, we will satisfy a lot of people who are worried about tagging players in Open World, but it is likely to introduce a reluctance to PvP against some people thus reducing PvP combat.

Option no. 2 is the one I personally consider to be the most interesting, this means that during the initial phase of the battle you will not know who you are up against. This could keep some people in battle who would otherwise leave very early.

Feel free discuss; maybe the third option is to simply leave the mechanics as they are. 🙂

Option 2 is good , make pple fight until they know who they fight , and will create battle and less run.

Option 1 will kill more ow battle , long time ago when we know enemy name in open world , pple start ganking fleet when someone call the name in nation chat. Do you really want this come back ?

Option 3 ok

If you tag someone , you don't have to run just because of a name , you should try you best at the start without know who you fight , and maybe lot of player will improve cause they not fear a "name"

On 6/16/2020 at 11:59 AM, Lt Sekiro said:

Option 2 is good , make pple fight until they know who they fight , and will create battle and less run.

Option 1 will kill more ow battle , long time ago when we know enemy name in open world , pple start ganking fleet when someone call the name in nation chat. Do you really want this come back ?

Option 3 ok

If you tag someone , you don't have to run just because of a name , you should try you best at the start without know who you fight , and maybe lot of player will improve cause they not fear a "name"

All i ever see certain players do is just pull up, tank broadsides and dismast using pen mods. Once the second mast falls thats gg. Honestly i dont blame people for saying hello kitty that and trying to find an actual fun engagement. "you should try your best at the start" basically just means get close enough to me so i can demast you and then its too late, free kill/ship for you. The other fun one is to wait for the other player to pop hull rep then do what i just described, and its 100% possible because you can just mindlessly eat dmg while pressing spacebar and the person thats better at pressing spacebar brings home the bacon. Duelist gameplay is lame as hello kitty. In larger battles you dont need to mind names because people usually dont have time to pull gamey shit like that. 

Edited by Potemkin
  • Like 5

Another way should be: 

You can see the enemy player name when you are close enough to his ship to read the ship name by a telescope (300 meters). This visibility ideally being lost at 600 meters.

Do not remove battle chat. If a player wants to use it, he is free of revealing his name.

Something else that can be fun: when you tag a player, don't reveal his ship type before the fight starts. So that, when you tag a traders snow, you will know in battle that this is a snow, and at 300 meters that the skipper is Gregory R.

In the same idea range, please add a paint that makes a Belle Poule look like a Le Gros Ventre. Just to boost, at low development cost, the use of this seldom used frigate.

Edited by Aquillas
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Aquillas said:

Do not remove battle chat. If a player wants to use it, he is free of revealing his name.

😉

If several players are in battle and salute the other team (07), it will still be impossible to know who exactly is in which ship. 

If I am in a battle in @MassimoSud team, who could know who is in a privateer and who is in a Christian?

Edited by Aquillas

17 minutes ago, Aquillas said:

Another way should be: 

You can see the enemy player name when you are close enough to his ship to read the ship name by a telescope (300 meters). This visibility ideally being lost at 600 meters.

Do not remove battle chat. If a player wants to use it, he is free of revealing his name.

Something else that can be fun: when you tag a player, don't reveal his ship type before the fight starts. So that, when you tag a traders snow, you will know in battle that this is a snow, and at 300 meters that the skipper is Gregory R.

In the same idea range, please add a paint that makes a Belle Poule look like a Le Gros Ventre. Just to boost, at low development cost, the use of this seldom used frigate.

Greggo the dreaded snow captain

• Like 3

I can tell how good a player is by the way they sail in open sea. I like the idea however but imo just dont reveal the name at all. Stops nations/players teaming up. I think its worth a test to be fair. Anything that has potential for good players to engage good players and reduce clubbing is worth a try. 

18 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

I can tell how good a player is by the way they sail in open sea. I like the idea however but imo just dont reveal the name at all. Stops nations/players teaming up. I think its worth a test to be fair. Anything that has potential for good players to engage good players and reduce clubbing is worth a try. 

But most "good players" just avoided eachother and carried on looking for easy kills

5 hours ago, PG Monkey said:

But most "good players" just avoided eachother and carried on looking for easy kills

that is why I think removing names altogether might reduce this. Im not saying it will work but its atleast worth discussing. 

• Like 1