Game-Labs Forum

Shipbuilding Timbers Overhaul

Hello Captains

Nothing can be more important to the naval architect than a thorough knowledge of the properties of the materials with which he has to deal with. 
He can use this knowledge to his greatest advantage and thus produce a well proportioned ship of great speed or strength.

The properties of timber will be first considered:

• Bending and elasticity
    • will affect how masts hold together and splinter damage
  • Hardness 
    • will affect how hard the wood affecting thickness and time to repair
  • Weight and Gravity
    • will affect HP and speed/acceleration parameter and turn inertia.
  • Durability
    • Will affect repair amount
  • Cost
    • With much bigger quality comes bigger cost 
    • Distant woods will of course be more expensive.

The base thickness of ships will slightly change as well, as well as acceleration (base accel will be slightly lowered)
Caps for certain stats will be increased. Speed cap will slightly increase too, but light woods will be drastically softer.

LINK MOVED FOR REFACTORING

We like it in general as it amplifies ship qualities and moves away from the standardized teak/white. Please provide feedback on the numbers and stats if you think we missed something.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 3

16 minutes ago, admin said:

Hello Captains

Nothing can be more important to the naval architect than a thorough knowledge of the properties of the materials with which he has to deal with. 
He can use this knowledge to his greatest advantage and thus produce a well proportioned ship of great speed or strength.

The properties of timber will be first considered:

• Bending and elasticity
    • will affect how masts hold together and splinter damage
  • Hardness 
    • will affect how hard the wood affecting thickness and time to repair
  • Weight and Gravity
    • will affect HP and speed/acceleration parameter and turn inertia.
  • Durability
    • Will affect repair amount
  • Cost
    • With much bigger quality comes bigger cost 
    • Distant woods will of course be more expensive.

The base thickness of ships will slightly change as well, as well as acceleration (base accel will be slightly lowered)
Caps for certain stats will be increased. Speed cap will slightly increase too, but light woods will be drastically softer.

Table

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mM1LEvwbt1tXOudiDUpTsT97wum_DvZDEs-S1YrkVBw/edit#gid=1068541350

So the total woods' rebalance is coming to us, yes?

But do you have resources to do this along with changes in RvR and implementing new Karma system combined with changes in chats?
In reasonable period of time.
Because people will most likely postpone crafting ships from expensive woods, waiting for the changes, and if they will have to wait too long, it will lead to additional frustration, bad feelings etc...

P. S. The idea of rebalance and overhaul of woods is quite good itself.

Edited by Malcolm3

Looking forward to as much diversity as possible.

I always disliked the "meta builds" which have been preached like a religious canon for years, like "liveoak/whiteoak is the only acceptable composition" for warships and "fir/fir" for traders. We are having discussions again and again on global chat about the "perfect built" and people come up with their recipes - mainly the two mentioned.

So... I love more choices and specific effects connected with certain wood sorts, and any combo possible. Just so the cult of an absolute belief in this or that wood setup gets shattered!

Oh the fun of being heretic... :)

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 3

Seems very interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how the whole system and all it's variations work in-game.

All those new stats going to be visible somewhere in-game? 

Edited by Never

46 minutes ago, admin said:

Please provide feedback on the numbers and stats if you think we missed something.

Danzic Oak and Danzic Fir should be both called Danzig.
Some stats seems too high (Rangoon Teak). Also speed bonus of Rangoon Teak and New England Fir is the same both for Frame and Planking, and the same with other woods - Is that intended?

P. S. People will be furious when their super expensive Seasoned ships suddenly will become obsolete - Bermuda Cedar was used for fast speedy ships and now it gets negative speed modifier and White Oak (S) gets 0% HP modifier while now it used for HP-maxed ships. (though I hope stats are still not final).

Edited by Malcolm3
  • Thanks 1

I might be wrong but I am reading White oak and White oak S with 0% HP bonus? 
Also Bermuda and Bermuda S with negative speed? 

Isn't that going against what they are now? So all the ships players already own with those woods become negatively affected?

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Never said:

Isn't that going against what they are now? So all the ships players already own with those woods become negatively affected?

And also the whole seasoning industry along with breaking DLC ships for woods will become useless with these new stats...
Hope they will change them

@admin
Can you give us example of how new stats will work.
Cause, e.g. Fir(S)/Fir(S) ship will now have +19% speed, while African Oak/African Oak ship will have +29% thickness.

Probably Frame and Planking Stats won't simply sum up now, will they?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Never said:

I might be wrong but I am reading White oak and White oak S with 0% HP bonus? 

White oak is generally slightly light in weight than English oak which is used as base. But have more hardness.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Malcolm3 said:

African Oak/African Oak ship will have +29% thickness.

Current maxed thickness meta is Live Oak(S)/White Oak(S) - 28% (with new stats +38%)
Max thickness with new stats is Live Oak(S)/Locust(S) - 56%, twice amount of old highest number

If we add to it Port bonuses and modules... Won't we get pure sailing Ironclad?

Edited by Malcolm3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Captain TShirt said:

Can you guys unfilter the sheet? Was super stoked to see all the variations, and some fool has it filtered to only oaks! Lol

You can just apply a custom filter only visible by you by clicking the little triangles in the column header.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Malcolm3 said:

Current maxed thickness meta is Live Oak(S)/White Oak(S) - 28% (with new stats +38%)
Max thickness with new stats is Live Oak(S)/Locust(S) - 56%, twice amount of old highest number

If we add to it Port bonuses and modules... Won't we get pure sailing Ironclad?

Won't be possible. Locust (S) is Caguarian (S) and the second combo isn't allowed.

Now, there will still be ironclad ships though out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Makrian said:

Yep, Bermuda with negative speed. Now i can wreck many ships... it seems.

Let's wait and see before doing too early conclusions.

It sounds very interesting I welcome every change that makes woods other than T/WO attractive.

1 hour ago, Callaghan92 said:

@Redman29 By looking at the table, it looks like it may be changing so that all woods are available as Planking and Frame, since all the woods have stats for both planking and frame?

Well that's broken, considering that's how we avoided ironclad warships from sailing around. 

I'm saving my formal response until I run the numbers and see how bad it is. Or good but with the new stats to WO, I'm not optimistic. 

Edited by Redman29
  • Like 3

400 с лишним комбинаций, при текущей механике получения устанешь собирать одинаковое. не могу понять зачем это...

добавьте хотя бы торговца, который будет менять одно на другое. пропорции вопрос баланса