Game-Labs Forum

National flavor

Beside the ship itself, each nation should has their own trait, making it more different to other country 

UK - With more than 100 year of naval tradition they could get something like faster ship constructing speed, better crew morals and survivability 

GER - Better amour and turtle back 

USA - Better damage control 

Japan - better base accuracy but weaker armor 

Italy ?

Spain ? 

Russia ?

judging by the blog and how RTW does things, it does look like they plan to have something like that.

Mind you I hope that don't copy RTW 100% in terms of the UK, since there ships could have a random flaw that made them blow up.

While I understand for what that is suppose to stand in, the flaws of UK ships were not "random". The RN made some bad policy decisions which backfired badly. It wasn't randomly.

Anyway:

Italy: I could see a TP and Destroyer bonus and maybe a accuracy bonus for BB's. 

Russia: TR ships spot TP miles away and even if there aren't any.

Spain: maybe a bonus base on the legacy of the Spanish armada (the big one)? Or a cruiser bonus?

For Japan: its all about that oxcy torpedo, not electric, all about that oxcy torpedo not electric...

54 minutes ago, johnson smith said:

Beside the ship itself, each nation should has their own trait, making it more different to other country 

UK - With more than 100 year of naval tradition they could get something like faster ship constructing speed, better crew morals and survivability 

Italy ?

Spain ? 

Russia ?

I am for as big diversification among playable nations as possible. But I think that we shouldn't change physics (it doesnt matter if there's 100 mm of steel plate on british ship or on the japanese ship in both cases it's still 100 mm of steel plate), also UK already has biggest funds among all navies in game so it will be huge challenge to face it but if UK would also get faster construction over others it would become totally impossible. But when you mentioned the UK naval tradition there might be bonus for crews. Altrough I am not sure about the morale but it might be easier to get fresh recruits.

I think there are better ways to make playing as each country unique (as i mentioned in other posts). It could be done through unique political events (fighting over influence with army as Japan, fight bolshevik mutinies as Russia etc.)

Edited by Aceituna

Japan: 5-10% morale boost 

5-10% discount when you construct your ship with other nation (like Mikasa)

Austria-Hungary: 5% tech boost for triple turrets, 5% spot boost (to spot enemy torpedo boats)

-5%  the cost to build ships (Austria-Hungary will be challenging to play so this can be a balancing factor)

• Like 1

UK: 5% faster ship construction (maybe 10% but this can be OP)

-10% morale when the capital ship detonates

Germany: better armour and tech boost

Your battleships will fight till they sink, when your BBs are alone and against at least 5 enemies. (Maybe this perk is not so good)

Russia: operational range boost

+5% morale boost after 1917.11.07. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Marshall99 said:

UK: 5% faster ship construction (maybe 10% but this can be OP)

-10% morale when the capital ship detonates

Germany: better armour and tech boost

Your battleships will fight till they sink, when your BBs are alone and against at least 5 enemies. (Maybe this perk is not so good)

Russia: operational range boost

+5% morale boost after 1917.11.07. 

UK: +20 % the change of getting detonate on a BC

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Aceituna said:

I am for as big diversification among playable nations as possible. But I think that we shouldn't change physics (it doesnt matter if there's 100 mm of steel plate on british ship or on the japanese ship in both cases it's still 100 mm of steel plate), also UK already has biggest funds among all navies in game so it will be huge challenge to face it but if UK would also get faster construction over others it would become totally impossible. But when you mentioned the UK naval tradition there might be bonus for crews. Altrough I am not sure about the morale but it might be easier to get fresh recruits.

I think there are better ways to make playing as each country unique (as i mentioned in other posts). It could be done through unique political events (fighting over influence with army as Japan, fight bolshevik mutinies as Russia etc.)

when i said japan get minor armour debuff, i meant armour strength not value, steel quality, like how many shell can that steel withstand before it rupture

10 minutes ago, Alcar said:

If anyone is getting a buff to construction speed, it should be 'Murica.

ubxqwSW.jpg

I agree. They produced lots of ships. Also I think UK can get some constructon speed boost. So maybe USA could get around 10% buf and the UK 5%. What do you think about this?

Mine would be the following Bonuses:

UK: Research bonus 15% - Ship construction 10% - Ship cost -10%

Germany: 10% bonus to Armour - Research Bonus 15% - 5% accuracy bonus - 10% to Fund generation

France: 10% bonus to starting to tech - Research Bonus 10% - Gun Tech bonus 10%

Japan: 15% bonus to crew morale - 10% bonus to torpedoes - 10% bonus to dock size

Russia: +15% to funds generation, +10% to design study, ????

Italy: 10% bonus to research - 15% bonus to BB's - ????

Austria-hungary: 15% bonus to gun tech - ????

Spain: ????

China: -15% to ship cost and maintenance, ????

USA: 15% bonus to ship construction - 10% to Fund generation - 15% bonus to starting fleet - ????

Negatives:

UK: Magazine design on BC's -15%, Doctrine Change Resistance - 10%,  +15% on fleet upkeep (maybe colony as well).

Germany: -10% less starting fleet, -10% to crew experience, -10% to ???

France: -10% to ship construction, -15% to starting fleet, ????

Japan: -15% to political instability, -10% to starting budget and resources, ????

Russia: -10% to research bonus, -10% to communication encryption, -15% to crew morale

Italy: -10% to armour, -15% to night fighting, ????

Austria-hungary: -15% starting fleet, -10 to budget, ????

Spain: -10% to starting fleet, -15 to politcal stability, -10% to starting budget.

China: Politcal instability +25%, Starting budget -15%, Construction rate -10%

USA: -10% willingess to go to war, ????

I have no idea if these are perma or just up to a certain point and replaced by new bonuses and negatives to reflect changing times (would be cool doe).

Either way this stuff i just thought up on the spot, not sure how many bonuses and negative each nation should get.

Edited by Cptbarney
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

mine would be the following Bonuses:

UK: Research bonus 15% - Ship construction 10% - Ship cost -10%

Germany: 10% bonus to Armour - Research Bonus 15% - 5% accuracy bonus - 10% to Fund generation

France: 10% bonus to starting to tech - Research Bonus 10% - ????

Japan: 15% bonus to crew morale - 10% bonus to torpedoes - ????

Russia: 10% bonus to crew morale - 15% bonus to fund generation - ????

Italy: 10% bonus to research - 15% bonus to BB's - ????

Austria-hungary: 15% bonus to gun tech - ????

USA: 15% bonus to ship construction - 10% to Fund generation - 15% bonus to starting fleet - ????

Negatives:

cba atm, ill fill them out later, also this was made up on the spot so don't freak out too much.

I agree.

France should get -10% armour bonus but they can get 4 turrets earlier and of course they can build fast ships.

USA -10% for speed until Iowa arrives

Austria-Hungary: -10% for spotting torpedo boats? (Maybe this is not a good balancing factor)

1 hour ago, Marshall99 said:

I agree.

France should get -10% armour bonus but they can get 4 turrets earlier and of course they can build fast ships.

USA -10% for speed until Iowa arrives

Austria-Hungary: -10% for spotting torpedo boats? (Maybe this is not a good balancing factor)

ye i was going for a more age of empires 2 style, hard to get details right when you only do like 10mins of research for each group besides general knowledge i picked earlier lol.

although we can expand upon this and make it so it isn't always set in stone and depending if certain objectives are met these bonus and negatives could vanish and be replaced by new ones.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

although we can expand upon this and make it so it isn't always set in stone and depending if certain objectives are met these bonus and negatives could vanish and be replaced by new ones

Rule of thumb — the more control we have the  better, as usual. Option to customise the nation traits would be welcome.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IronKaputt said:

Rule of thumb — the more control we have the  better, as usual. Option to customise the nation traits would be welcome.

Yeah, almost forgot that or rather i did. I guess we could have options for negative and bonuses on or off, one or the other. Maybe certain types of nation traits as well (so you have 'national' which effect everything in small ways, 'specific' which has bigger buffs and nerfs but to more specifics like 25% to triple turret performance or 30% rot to large gun calibers and 'Multi' which includes one national and two specific traits.)

That should be decent enough for customisation reasons. For the nations themselves ill leave that up to devs who know better than me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

(so you have 'national' which effect everything in small ways, 'specific' which has bigger buffs and nerfs but to more specifics like 25% to triple turret performance or 30% rot to large gun calibers and 'Multi' which includes one national and two specific traits.)

Well, if by ROF you mean bonus to autoloader research — I'm in. I'm strongly against flat arcade bonuses in this game though (until they optional of course).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronKaputt said:

Well, if by ROF you mean bonus to autoloader research — I'm in. I'm strongly against flat arcade bonuses in this game though (until they optional of course).

Dunno, just random examples. I actually dont mind flatout bonuses, even if they are or arent in the game. Simulating real life gunnery in unity will never happen so its all about getting as close as the engine can handle really (and our pcs of course).

On a quantum computer you probs could simulate actual physics without your house setting it self on fire half the time. But those are a long way off.

30 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

I actually dont mind flatout bonuses, even if they are or arent in the game. Simulating real life gunnery in unity will never happen so its all about getting as close as the engine can handle really (and our pcs of course).

I don't expect 100% accurate simulation here, just something to suspend the disbelief. Say top quality crew could maintain AL better so it would fire at max possible rate.

• Like 1

Russian Empire in 1890.

01.jpg

-Ships in the ice: ship maintenance reduced by 25%, crew training time/funds increased  by 25%. Also сannot start a war in winter.

UOAetBs.jpg

Half sailors, half soldiers: crews morale increases. If the Russian fleet controls the area where ground battles is going, then each russian capital ship increases the chance to success for russian  ground forces. Say 1-3% per ship.

Weak sea trade: sea blockade of Russia doesn't cause increase unrest level. Colonial acquisitions generate less income.

a2931a594e3198001555a6d0d81a9416_i-680.j

We have men and ships, but no sailors or navy: financing,  shipbuilding and research speed, are not constant and varies from 75% to 125%. The player starts with 100% efficiency and it gradually increases until it reaches 125% percent, after which it goes down to 75%. Defeat raises the level by 125% reflecting revanchist sentiments in society.         

Not very sure about all this, but I don’t know how else to express it Russian government did not know what exactly what they want from fleet.

Foreign roots: buying a ship in foreign countries, increases speed research. For example, cruiser with new hull type will increase the speed of cruiser hull research.

600703_original.jpg

Ashes of Sevastopol:  coastal defense and sea mines cost less, and built faster. Accelerates research allowing ships to carry mines. Including submarine minelayer (late tech - WW1).

536321_original.jpg

Weak industry: increase ship prices and chance to ship have flaw. Building ships in series reduces the price and chance of flaw. 

1487800965_1024px-demonstraciya_rabotnic

Conflicts in society: defeat will significantly increase unrest level.

Research Advantages: commerce raiding doctrine;  battleships and armored cruisers hulls; secondary batteries in double turrets for battleships; mine warfare; semi-oil boilers

Special events.

- Old traditions die hard: for money and prestige remove trait "Ships in the ice".

Russian-French alliance. Friends against Germans, English and Autrians. Increase budget, get some french tech and discount when building a ship in France.

maxresdefault.jpg

We will take Erusalim Constantinople!  A huge amount of prestige and raising the budget, reduces unrest level. UK, Italy, France (if not in the alliance), as well as Austria-Hungary absolutely hate this. All Balkan states and Turkey especially also hate you now. 

Zar-Golod.jpg

- Hunger. Lose money or  increase unrest level.

Industrialization: spend money on multiple events, which are remove "Weak industry" trait.  

Black Sea Style. Increases speed research for battleships hulls, main and secondary guns. Cannot be taken with "Baltic Style".

- Baltic Style. Increases speed research for cruisers hulls, citadel, engines and shaft. Cannot be taken with "Black Sea Style".

9.jpg

The emperor is dead, long live the emperor! Nicholas II believes that the extension to the east the best way. Accept his vision of the future and receive prestige,  raising budget. This also increase tension with China, Japan, UK and America. Deny the emperor’s will and he won’t accept it easily.

Edited by TAKTCOM
WAR FOR IMPROVEMENT
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, johnson smith said:

Italy ?

Spain ? 

Russia ?

So long as Japanese battleships don't carry over their tendency to have random magazine detonations in port I'm happy.

14 hours ago, Marshall99 said:

I agree. They produced lots of ships. Also I think UK can get some constructon speed boost. So maybe USA could get around 10% buf and the UK 5%. What do you think about this?

the thing is UK has fewer dockyard compare to USA, not to mention USA have a lot of room for expansion. UK might pump out 1 ship a week but USA that number maybe 5. So giving USA ship construction speed boost is a bit overpower 

13 hours ago, johnson smith said:

the thing is UK has fewer dockyard compare to USA, not to mention USA have a lot of room for expansion. UK might pump out 1 ship a week but USA that number maybe 5. So giving USA ship construction speed boost is a bit overpower 

This is a reasonable point. Instead of construction speed, the USA could simply have the largest capacity. Maybe a radar tech advantage.

When talking about the US, don't forget the US navy came a long way from the point of game start. It's massive output and technological edge were as a result of WW2, the last year we have is a year before they entered the war. In 1940 the Royal navy was still the largest (I think), and I believe had better radar. The Iowa-class battleships and Fletcher-class destroyers hadn't even been launched, even USS Benson, namesake of her class, was only launched in 1940. Think more about the Spanish-American war, Great White Fleet, standard battleships.

• Like 1