Game-Labs Forum

HMS Foudroyant/Trincomalee.

I have a slight connection with this ship.When i was in the Royal Navy based at RNH Haslar(i was the modern equivilant of a Loblolly Boy)she was anchored just off Gosport and was used as a Training Ship for Boys.She is now renamed as HMS Trincomalee and is at Hartlepool Historic Dockyard.

Class & type: Leda-class frigate Tons burthen: 1065.63 bm Length: 150 ft 4.5 in (45.834 m) (gundeck)
125 ft 7.25 in (38.2842 m) (keel) Beam: 39 ft 11.25 in (12.1730 m) Depth of hold: 12 ft 9 in (3.89 m) Sail plan: Full-rigged ship Complement: 315 officers and men Armament: 38-guns: (classed as 46 as carronades were counted in armament from 1817)
  • Gundeck: 28 × 18 pdrs
  • Quarterdeck: 14 × 32-pdr carronades
  • Forecastle: 2 x 9 pdrs plus 2 × 32-pdr carronades

• Like 1

... and as a compensation to Andym for being somewhat upstaged, at 0:05, here is HMS Froudroyant when she was at anchor in HM Naval Base Portsmouth in 1949 as HMS Implacable / Duguay-Trouin is towed out to be sunk.

(PS 'Portsdown' is a 'Boffin' currently working in the Grenville Building up at the old ASWRE Portsdown West site - hence the name.)

... and as a compensation to Andym for being somewhat upstaged, at 0:05, here is HMS Froudroyant when she was at anchor in HM Naval Base Portsmouth in 1949 as HMS Implacable / Duguay-Trouin is towed out to be sunk.

(PS 'Portsdown' is a 'Boffin' currently working in the Grenville Building up at the old ASWRE Portsdown West site - hence the name.)

Shame to see that.

So I posted this in another thread but it was carried away by different conversation. I think including more ships of class that we already have would be a good idea so we do not have several Trincs fighting each other.  There were quite a few Leda-class frigates. Granted there were modifications but if we are unable to find the plans then we can just ignore the possibility of changes and use the same model with different names.

Here is a list of ships http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leda-class_frigate#Ships_of_the_class

The other ship is HMS Unicorn. She never received her masts and has spent her whole life 'in Ordinary' (in reserve) as a Depot Ship. She has been involved in two wars, however. She was the Headquarters Ship for the Royal Navy in the port of Dundee during both World Wars. The photo below shows the Captain and Executive Officer of U-2326 leaving the Unicorn (then named HMS Cressy) after surrendering at the end of World War Two.

1945-0514-004-UPSalbum21trim-Surrender-o

As she is the only historic warship to have survived in the condition that they would have been held in reserve in she has been preserved without masts and with what is belived to be her original 1824 Deck House.

Her Wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Unicorn_%281824%29

I have read a little bit about Trincomalee. She was used around 1850 as a corvette. Of course she was build earlier as a Leda class, but when she was recommisoned (hope it's the right word) she received a new (for that time modern) stern. So actually the stern of the ingame Trincomalee is from 1850. Isn't that way to modern for Naval Action?

• Like 1

The stern gallery Trincomalee has today (and the one modeled ingame) is a cross between the original stern as built and the rounded one added later. Only real difference is how the middle 5 windows bulge out to accommodate that newer rounded stern, the original probably looked like this (plus the carved decorations)...

sxPuMbh.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

can somebody please explain me the contradicion regarding the trinco: http://www.navalaction.com/blog

A set of plans for two new Leda Class Frigates were drawn up in England. The first ship was to be named Trincomalee ; the vessels were to be built in Bombay ;

the vessel carrying the plans, HMS Java, was attacked and defeated by USS Constitution. Java sank under tow, taking the plans with her

so was a second ship with new plans sent, or did wadia drew something up on a napkin ?

Edited by Schuetzengel