Game-Labs Forum

Ideas for Weapon Visuals for Different nation/ weapon changes

Notes:

If Anyone has any suggestions please reply to this topic, I'm interested to see what weapons the community will dig up that I couldn't find

If anyone wants me to go into more detail about anything i happily will.

General:

-Have multiple styles of guns for each calibre, possibly with different stats like turret rotations and price and visuals.

-For nations like Germany and Britain who switch their turret style above 16 inch guns enlarge the 16 inch gun models to serve as 17 and 18 inch turrets

- Allow us to use destroyer guns as secondary guns on larger ships such as battleships.

-Allow placement of secondary gun barbers everywhere on the ship

America:

USA 5"/38 (12.7 cm) Mark 12 - NavWeaps

USA 8"/55 (20.3 cm) Marks 9, 10, 11, 13 and 14 - NavWeapsUSS Baltimore (CA 68) (With images) | Heavy cruiser, Naval history ...

USS New Mexico (BB-40) - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

File:USS New York (BB-34).jpg - Wikipedia

Britain:

A New Kind of Service - HMS Belfast

Pin on General history

QF 4-inch naval gun Mk XVI - Wikipedia

United Kingdom / Britain 5.25"/50 (13.4 cm) QF Mark I - NavWeaps

QF 4-inch naval gun Mk V - WikiMili, The Free Encyclopedia

King George V-class battleship HMS Duke of York as she leaves ...Naval Analyses: WARSHIPS OF THE PAST: Worcester class anti ...

Historical Firearms — The Royal Navy's Last Battleship: HMS ...

Japan:

Classic Warships #13 IJN Kongo BBs

Germany:

German Destroyers - Z39

German destroyer Z1 Type 1934-class Leberecht Maass built for the ...

France:

Richelieu-class battleship - Wikipedia

France 130 mm/45 (5.1") Model 1932 and Model 1935 - NavWeaps

The Fastest Warships of World War 2 - Navy General Board

Russia:

Russia / USSR 100 mm/70 (3.9") CM-5 - NavWeaps

WW2 turrets of USSR fleets

Development] Sverdlov class: the Tzar of the Seas - News - War Thunder

Russian VMS/Soviet VMF battleships line - General Discussions ...

Kirov class cruisers (1936)

Ognevoy-class destroyer - Wikipedia

Soviet destroyer Opytny fires one of its main guns in support of ...

Soviet Battleship Branch Review | World of Warships

Italy:

Wonderful shot of Italian battleship Roma in 1942. They sure could ...

Seldom exterior images of Italy's WWII Battleship Roma

The Italian destroyer Camicia Nera. Ironically enough, for a ship ...

Spain:

El legendario crucero Canarias (C-21) | laststandonzombieisland

Austro-Hungarian Empire:

SMS Szent István - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

ps. This is my first forum post ever

• Like 10

rESlyB2.jpg

While talking turrets, it would be cool to be able to put secondaries on top of them like this. I think the North Carolina had a 40-mm quad up there, so obviously some size restrictions would apply.

I know secondaries aren't very popular on the forums, but I have had success with them, and ships look empty without them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alcar said:

rESlyB2.jpg

While talking turrets, it would be cool to be able to put secondaries on top of them like this. I think the North Carolina had a 40-mm quad up there, so obviously some size restrictions would apply.

I know secondaries aren't very popular on the forums, but I have had success with them, and ships look empty without them.

I was thinking of a similar thing, For balance this could affect the rotation speed of the turret

• Like 4

On 5/21/2020 at 9:37 AM, Alcar said:

I love secondaries! I just think that seeing as they were weak and inaccurate in reality, they should be in-game too. 😂

I'm glad you've had success, I have too. It's just that many people define success as obliterating torpedo boats and DDs rather than keeping them at  a distance and/or making them take evasive actions, both make it more difficult to establish a firing solution for their torpedoes.  

I would like to see turret-top 2"-3" secondaries as well. It's worth noting that these mounts quickly disappeared before reappearing again much later as AAA mounts like the bofors you mention. The reason for this is that guns on the turret tops could not be used while the main battery was in action. The blast effects of the large calibre guns would kill any crew manning those guns, and often damaged the mounts. Consequently, the secondary guns would be manned when there was a possibility of torpedo attack but not when in the battle line. 

The mounts were later eliminated because it was determined that as destroyer screens were integrated into the battle line, it was probable that a ship would have to engage both DDs and the enemy capital ships at the same time. Under those conditions, the mounts were useless and so were just wasted weight.

The reason this mount later returned for AAA use is that there are many times ships could be attacked by aircraft while not encountering targets for the main guns. 

With all that in mind, I think that 2-3, possibly 4" secondary guns in unshielded mounts could be included, but not used when the main battery is in action. I'm not sure what conditions that would be useful in, possibly during night or surprise attacks in the campaign layer. I also think that if in previous actions the main guns had been fired, these mounts would have to undergo minor repairs to account for blast damage, and would have a high chance of being inoperable if main guns had been fired in the same action.

1-ttFg7_4mjZlxPP7XDuyfVA-750x350.jpeg

• Like 3

On 5/20/2020 at 6:16 PM, gamerfromspace said:

-Allow placement of secondary gun barbers everywhere on the ship

Yes! For too long the poor guns had nobody to cut and groom their hair. This has gone on for too long!

Sorry, sorry, I just couldn't resist the temptation to poke at this hilarious typo. 😛

But joking aside, I do agree with you. Barely any ship hulls can currently put down the side-mounted secondary barbettes and those that can, more often than not have only a single slot per side for them.

• Like 2

I don't understand why hull and superstructure casemates or barbettes are part of the ship model and not procedural. As it stands now the ports are jarring if either open and unused or worse not present when they could be useful. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DougToss said:

I don't understand why hull and superstructure casemates or barrettes are part of the ship model and not procedural. As it stands now the ports are jarring if either open and unused or worse not present when they could be useful. 

Ah you beat me to it, I was just about to make a point about this, also ive been thinking of multi gun turrets. But it would be cool to have procedural casemates and barrettes so annoying you cant place barrettes anywhere.

18 hours ago, Norbert Sattler said:

Yes! For too long the poor guns had nobody to cut and groom their hair. This has gone on for too long!

Sorry, sorry, I just couldn't resist the temptation to poke at this hilarious typo. 😛

But joking aside, I do agree with you. Barely any ship hulls can currently put down the side-mounted secondary barbettes and those that can, more often than not have only a single slot per side for them.

I really want to make superposing secondary gun mounts on sides of ships however thats hard to do as cant even place small barbettes anywhere

21 hours ago, DougToss said:

I don't understand why hull and superstructure casemates or barbettes are part of the ship model and not procedural. As it stands now the ports are jarring if either open and unused or worse not present when they could be useful. 

Because , and i may be wrong about this one, but it seems a lot easier to design a hull ( and the variants in size ) with specific points to install weapons. Procedural design would need more skill and hard work from the devs to make it work right and at the same time you coudn't make a procedural design to satisfy all the nations differences. As an example is to compare the casemates from  the french dreadnoughts to the british. They are different so you would need different procedural designs to make them look similar to the designs from that period.

I think with time , adding more hulls and variety the need for procedural designs is going to vanish.

Could masking work? Have a layer display a flush hull or superstructure unless a casemate gun is place in the mounting location? 

Once the gun is placed over the point, the casemate is shown, and if clicked the mask is removed. Then the armour modification for the casemate is applied to that part of the hull and superstructure, and the damage model now accounts for the gun, ammunition, hoists if any etc. 

It would also display the correct casemate for the national hull as now, because it would be fundamentally the same, only with the possibility of being hidden. It would also mean that the devs don't have to make variants of the same hull like FRA-PC-1906A, FRA-PC-1906B, FRA-PC-1906C to have a protected cruiser with varying numbers of casemates. 

This solution would mean we couldn't have more casemates, but we could certainly have fewer. 

Edited by DougToss
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

For the original post's idea - I definitely like the idea of multiple turrets, but it seems to me like there might be a lot of other stuff for the devs to focus on before they were to even think of it. Although, in the future it'd definitely be cool, and make replicas look better. I do think that some turret additions might be more necessary than others. Ex. nations without the right turrets at all for a certain era, or secondaries still having gunshields with 0 secondary armor (or destroyer and CL turrets having shields with 0 turret armor, for that matter)

For DougToss' casemate idea- I think this would actually be very easy to do. They could have armor plates to cover unused casemate slots... and then when a gun is placed behind it, it disappears. They'd only have to use the same code as they do for lifeboats (that disappear when a component is placed near them). This solution would be visual only, but it'd still be really cool, and more realistic compared to what we have now when we decide not to use all the slots, which is empty holes in the side of the hull.

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2020 at 9:37 AM, Alcar said:

rESlyB2.jpg

I love using secondary weapons.  They can quickly perforate Light Cruisers and below.  I agree would also love to see mounts on top of primary turrets.

RUSS663

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see something like the up-gunned German destroyers, like the Type 1936A design with both single and a double 5.9in guns, so basically 6in weapons, but specially the larger caliber weapons maybe as a special country specific perk, if they end up doing specialized tech trees in the campaign.    

I personally would like to see barrel length (the caliber of gun) be able to be changed. For instance, the Iowa Class battleships had 16" 50-Caliber guns: 16" was the shell diameter (gun size) and the 50 "Calibers" referred to barrel length from breech-face to muzzle of a gun (so for the Iowa Class that would be a 800 inch long barrel). Compare that to, say, the North Carolina Class: they had 16" 45-Caliber (720 inch long barrels). The longer the barrel--or higher the "Caliber"--the longer range and higher shell velocity you have. It would be a nice addition and it could possibly play into weight of a ship as shorter barrels would weigh a little less.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...